My new "old" reason 4 and live7 rig - what do you think?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
glass-puppy

08 Feb 2019

Hey everyone, I'm new here. Just getting back into writing music after several years. A long time ago my house got hit by lightening and I lost everything. About a decade passes and I repurpose a cheap Wal-Mart laptop I bought about two years ago for my old music studio software from like 2009? LOL.. So that means Reason 4.0 and Ableton Live 7 with some free vsts. The Laptop's on Windows 7sp1 - has an amd8 processor with 4 gigs of ram.

It's nice to have a studio again.. especially this time because it's in a laptop form whereas the old rig was a tower so I can just take it with me wherever I am or go. The tower was bought in 2005 and the laptop I got in 2017 so its actually more powerful than the tower was and much cheaper too lol.. So much time had passed that it had escaped me that I could basically re-create what I had lost with an ordinary cheap walmart laptop. Fun, but the software's are way old and I was wondering what you guys think about that. Does it matter? Should it? I was thinking about keepting this a "time capsule - stuck in 2009 rig" but get an arturia beatstep pro to spice things up. What do you think? The temptation to upgrade either or both live or reason is certainly there but part of the appeal is that neither use much cpu resources. This is definitely not a high-end laptop. It only has about 4gigs of ram, processor is an AMD A87410 2.20ghz But it works perfectly fine for reason 4 and live 7 better than my old tower even which cost around $1,400 at the time whereas this laptop was like $360-ish? lol. If I did upgrade reason 4 on this laptop I might go with version 6.5 if I can find someone who might sell me theirs. I'd love to explore Rack extensions. And I don't think the system requirements for that version would easily overwhelm this laptop.

Anyway I talk too much - that's it for now. lol

• Information