Export midi II

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2019

I haven't been able to export just a midi clip or just one track of midi. Only all the midi in the sequencer. Is there a way to export just a selected piece?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Adabler
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2019

Boombastix wrote:
05 Feb 2019
I haven't been able to export just a midi clip or just one track of midi. Only all the midi in the sequencer. Is there a way to export just a selected piece?
I don't think so. I would open a new project and copy/paste the clip/track I'd like to export.
:reason: 12, Win10

Fotu

06 Feb 2019

Boombastix wrote:
05 Feb 2019
I haven't been able to export just a midi clip or just one track of midi.
I do this a lot (exporting a single MIDI track representing lighting automation within the other 'song' tracks), and lack of selectable track export is annoying. I've found this most efficient for workflow:
1. Save the song just before doing the MIDI export.
2. Delete all tracks except the MIDI track.
3. Export MIDI.
4. Close or Quit without saving.

BTW, another MIDI export annoyance: Even if you've assigned a MIDI channel (e.g. in the External MIDI device) the exported track retains some different default internal Reason MIDI channel assignment. So if this matters to you, you'll need to edit the exported MIDI file to fix this. (I use the free app Anvil Studio (on Windows) for just this purpose.)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

06 Feb 2019

Thanks. I do something similar, but wasn't sure if I had missed something obvious.
I cannot remember for sure but my guess is that Cubase could do this on the Atari.

Sometimes I almost feel like buying an old Atari and fly over to Stockholm too show the PH guys what was the standard... 20 years ago..., you kinda need to catch up with the midi editing...

And not even a word from PH if this is something they even consider, despite folks screaming about it for years. Makes you wonder if they put all their development resources into the Allihopa flopp, I hope not... and things are just around the corner... Anyhoo, back to focus...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Fotu

06 Feb 2019

Boombastix wrote:
06 Feb 2019
Sometimes I almost feel like buying an old Atari and fly over to Stockholm too show the PH guys what was the standard... 20 years ago..., you kinda need to catch up with the midi editing...
Ha! I can relate, having started with MIDI sequencing in the 80s. When I picked up Reason a few years ago I just assumed that the usual MIDI sequencing functions that had been in most sequencers since 90s were surely all covered as feature 'table stakes'. So I've also been surprised many times by missing or awkward sequencer operations.

However, over time I've come to understand (as a relatively new Reason user) that state-of-the-art sequencing tools aren't really in Reason's genes; it's about the sounds, rack, fx, etc. Thus I am at peace now with my brilliant though slightly flawed friend. :)
(But I will still cling to hope for continuing sequencer productivity improvements as it evolves.)

• Information