Easy way to "Destructive" Loop Record

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Popnfrsh24

02 Feb 2019

Hey everybody,

I just downloaded the new demo version of reason and I'm trying to get used to it. I've had a question with reason for a while and wondered if there was an easy solution to this. I have found solutions online, however they involve multiple steps and I was hoping there was some simple feature or shortcut to accomplish this.

The way I usually record something is to loop record it until I get it perfect, then copy and paste as needed. However, the standard setup of reason once you loop record a MIDI track is to add onto the previous recording. I do not want this, I would like a fresh recording each loop. I think I've heard this called "destructive recording"? Is there a way to enable this so that I can do my recording process easily?

Thanks,

Popnfrsh24

Molotovbeatz

03 Feb 2019

If I understand correctly what you are looking for is to add a new lane into the same instrument/Drum?
Yes, if you are on the lane that you have recorded previously then RE will begin to record on the same loop. If you want to have a new fresh loop on the record then you need to create a new lane.

Press on the (+) Plus button to add a new lane for fresh recording on the same instrument/mix channel/drum.

You can also tell the program where to record if you have 5 lanes for example, on each lane you can see a red circle button, press it to select where the loop has to be recorded. Even if you have a lane selected you still have to press the red circle button.

Something like in the attachment
Attachments
newlane.jpg
newlane.jpg (79 KiB) Viewed 1650 times

chimp_spanner

03 Feb 2019

Yeah to expand on this Reason has two lane modes; alt and dub. Dub will create an overdub lane where each successive take is layered. Alt will create a new lane and mute the previous one. I believe the shortcuts are . and ,

You can also find controls for this on the transport at the bottom, labelled "alt" and "dub".

However there’s currently no way to have this happen automatically (like in Cubase you can cycle record in “replace” mode). So the best you can do is give yourself a bar of padding and just before it loops hit the alt take shortcut. You might even be able to remote override map this to a control on your keyboard or a foot switch or something but don’t quote me on that!

Popnfrsh24

05 Feb 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
03 Feb 2019
Yeah to expand on this Reason has two lane modes; alt and dub. Dub will create an overdub lane where each successive take is layered. Alt will create a new lane and mute the previous one. I believe the shortcuts are . and ,

You can also find controls for this on the transport at the bottom, labelled "alt" and "dub".

However there’s currently no way to have this happen automatically (like in Cubase you can cycle record in “replace” mode). So the best you can do is give yourself a bar of padding and just before it loops hit the alt take shortcut. You might even be able to remote override map this to a control on your keyboard or a foot switch or something but don’t quote me on that!
Man, I can't believe this isn't a function, it seems like it would be easy to implement!

Oh well thanks for your solution I will try it out.

michal22

05 Feb 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
03 Feb 2019
This is inconceivable to me, that so many years people ask for this simple function and it still does not exist. This is terribly annoying and makes the creation of music uncomfortable. For comparison, Ableton listens all the time. You can play until you hear something cool. Then you press one button and the ableton attunes the tempo of the song to your playing and you have a great loop.

Small bypass in Reason: In the sequencer, duplicate other tracks so that the project is long. Now record the loops until you are satisfied. In the sequencer, select the best part and cut. Use the cut out fragment.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Popnfrsh24

05 Feb 2019

michal22 wrote:
05 Feb 2019
chimp_spanner wrote:
03 Feb 2019
This is inconceivable to me, that so many years people ask for this simple function and it still does not exist. This is terribly annoying and makes the creation of music uncomfortable. For comparison, Ableton listens all the time. You can play until you hear something cool. Then you press one button and the ableton attunes the tempo of the song to your playing and you have a great loop.

Small bypass in Reason: In the sequencer, duplicate other tracks so that the project is long. Now record the loops until you are satisfied. In the sequencer, select the best part and cut. Use the cut out fragment.
Hm alright this seems like the best method. I'll give it a shot! But yeah cmon Propellerhead implement that!!

• Information