If Reason runs perfect for you (with VST), post your specs! :)

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jlgrimes
Posts: 329
Joined: 06 Jun 2017

Post 04 Feb 2019

Wobbleburger wrote:
31 Jan 2019
I'm building a new computer... going with the intel 8700k and 32gb of ram. I want to be 100% sure I'm doing the best choices that I can. I'm not going for the 9xxx due to the price. I'm curious what you folks are using and how far you can go before the DSP bars of death.

Thanks!
As long as I keep only one project open Reason runs pretty good on my Imac Retina (Low resolution mode) High Sierra 2015 (Cant remember processor but it is a high end 27 inch monitor quad core i7 I think 2.8 ghz (or maybe 2.2)) 32 gigs of ram.


Usually I'm just using a few VSTs though. Some of the big ones will raise up the bar though. Once you get to about half way, I might start getting pops and clicks. The minute I start trying to mix a song though with recorded vocals with intensive compressors on them, I will start getting pops and clicks, (hardly ever crashes though).

To be somewhat of a CPU hog, Reason still is a pretty stable DAW compared to DAWs like Ableton or Studio One both of which will just occasionally crash or freeze which seems to be for no reason. That said DAWs these days are miles more stable than like 15 years or so ago, where crashes was somewhat expected and were alot more frequent. Reason was like the first program I worked with that felt like hardware (in terms of stability), even though it was limited back then compared to other DAWs.

User avatar
Molotovbeatz
Posts: 99
Joined: 29 Jan 2019

Post 08 Feb 2019

mcatalao wrote:
03 Feb 2019


Come on, you must be somewhat confused. I7 3770k is an old CPU, you couldn't get it now unless on second hand market...
What do you mean by old? Is 3 or 4 years old CPU old? Are you guys changing CPU like socks every year or what? Strangely my CPU runs very perfectly, I can even play heavy games of these days and I never complained.

I would upgrade my CPU in 2 or 3 years. A good CPU can last for you 5 or 6 years, no need to change them every year.
:reason: Instagram: @beatzmolotov
:reason: SoundCloud: Molotovbeatz
:reason: YouTube: Molotovbeatz

kinkujin
Posts: 101
Joined: 01 Mar 2018

Post 08 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
08 Feb 2019
mcatalao wrote:
03 Feb 2019


Come on, you must be somewhat confused. I7 3770k is an old CPU, you couldn't get it now unless on second hand market...
What do you mean by old? Is 3 or 4 years old CPU old? Are you guys changing CPU like socks every year or what? Strangely my CPU runs very perfectly, I can even play heavy games of these days and I never complained.

I would upgrade my CPU in 2 or 3 years. A good CPU can last for you 5 or 6 years, no need to change them every year.
I'm still on MacPro 2008 Xeon machine. I'd say that's old. :lol:

User avatar
jjpscott01
Posts: 55
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: USA

Post 08 Feb 2019

Ive ran Reason since version 7 on a Desktop PC with an intel I5 4440 and 16 GB Ram and it still rocks. I record lots of Audio and use several VI's and probably end up with around 20-25 tracks total. I mix and master inside of Reason using several VST's and still haven't ran into limitations. As a matter of fact, I always find it strange that there seems to be so many with performance issues using Reason because for me its the CPU efficient DAW I use outside of Reaper. I realize everyone's individual computer configuration has a great deal of influence over that but at least for this particular build of mine it runs like a dream. I also just built a new PC with an intel I5 8400 and 16GB of DDR4 ram and Reason doesn't perform quite as well on it as it does on my old 4440 so who knows. Computers are a funny thing I tell ya.
| REASON 10 | STUDIO ONE PRO 4 | SAMPLITUDE PRO X4 | BALANCE | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

User avatar
Wobbleburger
Posts: 226
Joined: 14 Sep 2018
Location: Austin

Post 08 Feb 2019

Well my new computer parts were delivered today. Intel i7 9700k, 32gb ddr4 3000, 1tb ssd, scarlett 2i2 - I'll keep y'all posted on how my tracks run. The current one that is giving me problems is a mastering project. It's just a 3 minute audio file of my exported song with iZotope exciter, imager, FabFilter Pro Q and Pro L. It's very sluggish on my MBP 2015.
I like jungle.

Reason 10 - Win10 - i7 9700k - 32gb DDR4 - Novation Launchkey 25 - Korg Nanokontrol 2 - Scarlet 2i2 2nd Gen - Shure SM58 - Currently obsessed with Phase Plant

Jmax
Posts: 584
Joined: 03 Apr 2015

Post 08 Feb 2019

Intel i7 7700 Clocked at 4.2GHz, 32gig DDR4 Ram 3200 Corsair, and an SSD. HHD backup drives.

Presonus 44VSL audio interface (not the fatest).

Everything runs without a hitch at buffer rate of 256. Any RE, plugin or Kontakt instrument runs smooth as a baby's bum.

Eventually when the SSD gives out I'll upgrade to a Samsung M2 ssd as they're starting to come down in price.

mcatalao
Posts: 990
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 10 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
08 Feb 2019
mcatalao wrote:
03 Feb 2019


Come on, you must be somewhat confused. I7 3770k is an old CPU, you couldn't get it now unless on second hand market...
What do you mean by old? Is 3 or 4 years old CPU old? Are you guys changing CPU like socks every year or what? Strangely my CPU runs very perfectly, I can even play heavy games of these days and I never complained.

I would upgrade my CPU in 2 or 3 years. A good CPU can last for you 5 or 6 years, no need to change them every year.
Old as in not currently sold first hand and you're proposing it to someone who's in the market for a new one.

User avatar
Molotovbeatz
Posts: 99
Joined: 29 Jan 2019

Post 11 Feb 2019

mcatalao wrote:
10 Feb 2019


Old as in not currently sold first hand and you're proposing it to someone who's in the market for a new one.
I don't know what you are talking about: https://www.amazon.com/d/Cpu-Processors ... B007SZ0EOW

If you say something it would be nice if you back up your claims with some facts. There are many shops or e-shops that still sell unboxed/unused CPU i7-3770k. Searching never harmed anyone.
:reason: Instagram: @beatzmolotov
:reason: SoundCloud: Molotovbeatz
:reason: YouTube: Molotovbeatz

User avatar
Maxsu
Posts: 57
Joined: 15 Oct 2016
Location: Vienna

Post 11 Feb 2019

mcatalao wrote:
02 Feb 2019

1 - No, Combinators are device aggregators that you use to create ensembles and performance/patches, combine effects, etc. They can have inside any kind of reason device except a combinator (so you cannot make a combinator of combinators, but if you add a combinator inside a combinator, reason will decombine it and put the devices inside the new combinator).

Combis don't add load per se. However, the bigger the combinator, and the more and more complexity you add, either on the devices or the routing by itself (the free routing, allows for any kind of direct or parallel connection, either for audio or CV) the bigger is the load. But it is the exact same load as if you had the same devices and the same complexity direct on the rack. That being said, combinators were and still are the most important reason device as they allowed people do amazing refills with this devices. Mind that you can create your combinator devices, save them and recall them whenever you want. The power of this device (from multi device ensembles, to big complex effect processing, and bare in mind that you now load any kind of device inside a combi, VST's included) and plasticity of configuration with its programmer added reason a freedom and versatility that no other DAW has (there are similar devices for this but none is so well implemented imho).
In conclusion, compared to loading stuff directly into the rack they will have the same load. HOWEVER you have to bare in mind, that when you load a combi that you do not know, the complexity if its inside can be really big!

2 - I don't have the Fab EQ. But i find it a bit odd if the main mixer eq is less performant than the FAB. I'd risk to say that since the SSL EQ is build inside reason (at a lower level that Re's themselves, since they are bound to the SDK, while the mixer eq's are Reason code) they are way more efficient than anything you put there. Same for the mixer dynamics. I once did a test whit 400 audio mono channels, playing at the same time, all with compressor, gate, eq, hpf and lpf. And tbh, for some types of music these are more than enough, they are the base devices for most of the stuff you do in a mix.

Good Luck,
MC
Hi,

thanks for your insights in Combinators! Really appreciated! The creativity with Combs are endless only your mind limit it!
For the performance of the SSL EQ I am not sure, I load a ton of fabs even for lp or hp because I think the integrated EQ has to much performance impact - when you maximize the windows of the SSL EQ you feel a drop of the performance and if you have many of them it could bring the dsp more into the redzone (maybe it´s because only fabfilter use also GPU instead of only CPU like the SSL EQ... but that is my observation, I could be wrong also.
:essentials: Bring it to life :essentials:

Edin_16
Posts: 48
Joined: 12 Aug 2017

Post 11 Feb 2019

Zbook 15 G2, I7 4600m CPU, 16GB Ram, Win10x64, USB 3.0 Hub, Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, Cruicial SSD + second HDD (in DVD Slot)

Works just perfect.

patrickisbusy
Posts: 2
Joined: 13 Feb 2019

Post 13 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
08 Feb 2019
mcatalao wrote:
03 Feb 2019


Come on, you must be somewhat confused. I7 3770k is an old CPU, you couldn't get it now unless on second hand market...
What do you mean by old? Is 3 or 4 years old CPU old? Are you guys changing CPU like socks every year or what? Strangely my CPU runs very perfectly, I can even play heavy games of these days and I never complained.

I would upgrade my CPU in 2 or 3 years. A good CPU can last for you 5 or 6 years, no need to change them every year.
The i7-3770K was released in 2012, 7 years ago. There's absolutely no reason to buy a "new" one of those in 2019 when the current generation, and previous generation of Intel processors will be cheaper. Nevermind that any current motherboard wouldn't be compatible.

I'm running an i7-8850H with 16 gigs of ram and a couple m.2 NVME SSD's (Thinkpad P52) and the only performance issues I have are with large Kontakt libraries (anything by Output) and of course the Universal Audio plugins. Waves, Soundtoys, Massive, FM8, Korg Legacy, and Roland Cloud all run perfectly.

User avatar
ejanuska
Posts: 662
Joined: 27 May 2016
Location: USA

Post 13 Feb 2019

As a Windows user, It's more about shutting off unneeded Windows crap and less about top end hardware specs.

mcatalao
Posts: 990
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 14 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
mcatalao wrote:
10 Feb 2019


Old as in not currently sold first hand and you're proposing it to someone who's in the market for a new one.
I don't know what you are talking about: https://www.amazon.com/d/Cpu-Processors ... B007SZ0EOW

If you say something it would be nice if you back up your claims with some facts. There are many shops or e-shops that still sell unboxed/unused CPU i7-3770k. Searching never harmed anyone.
I'm not going to discuss with you if you don't grasp the oddity of buying a 7 year old year cpu. It only makes sense if you don't have the money for a current one.

As you can imagine I'm also not responsible for the stock that stores mantain. Suffice to say stores that have it surely had too much stock of those in 2012 and these processors are layin there for almost 7 years...

This is a user forum, I have to back nothing because I'm not responsible for Intel or even propellerheads products. I just happen to know how old the 3770k is because In 2012 it was the best selling cpu at the time and I had to decide between it and a 4790k .

Also, the fact that your cpu is still enough for the work you do may not be the same for others. And yes, cpus can endure several years and stand the time because family jumps are iterative and improvements over 2 or 3 cpu generations are not felt as much as 10 or 15 years ago (I think the Core I branding was one of the longer intel had ever). But that surely doesn't mean you should get out and buy a discontinued 6+ year Cpu just because you can.

You can check release date and other stuff about your processor at Intels site (status discontinued):

https://ark.intel.com/products/65523/In ... -3-90-GHz-



Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk


User avatar
Molotovbeatz
Posts: 99
Joined: 29 Jan 2019

Post 15 Feb 2019

Whatever :) it's just funny to see that the stock clock on 3770k is better than the rest of released today's CPU. Old but gold they use to say. It's still the best processor out there.
:reason: Instagram: @beatzmolotov
:reason: SoundCloud: Molotovbeatz
:reason: YouTube: Molotovbeatz

mcatalao
Posts: 990
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 15 Feb 2019

Actually it isn't. The best processor out there with a good balance between performance and price on a 1000 usd complete build would be the i9 9900k (the proc starts at 500 usd) .

And to be honest the i7 4790k was the best option in 2012/2013 at 4.0 GHz specially when reason would only use 3 processors of four. A lot of people have successfull builds with the 3770k but the 4790k was kicking butt even at gaming builds based on 2 top of the line 4 core successors (top of the line i7 6700k and i7 6700k).

As for stock core the i7 9900k... Here's the funny thing... It is an 8 core 16 thread processor at the same core speed of the 3770k. And it has a 5 GHz turbo speed.


https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 2874vs3334

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk


mcatalao
Posts: 990
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 15 Feb 2019

Here's the comparison between 3770k, 4790k and 9900k:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/In ... 5vs3334vs2

User avatar
ScuzzyEye
Posts: 1305
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 15 Feb 2019

Clocks aren't everything. Longer pipelines with instruction reordering, and branch prediction, and all sorts of other tricks that show up with each new generation let a CPU do more per clock.

retreed
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Sep 2018

Post 15 Feb 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
15 Feb 2019
Clocks aren't everything. Longer pipelines with instruction reordering, and branch prediction, and all sorts of other tricks that show up with each new generation let a CPU do more per clock.
I think people do agree that Intel did not reinvent in the last few years and sort of warmed up most of their technology with stuff you mention. They allowed AMD to increase their share on the market and time will tell whether AMD is capable of becoming great on single core performance and the characterics you would need for great audio processing.

I think it is fair to say that the 3770k or 4790k offered a greater performance for the money when they were released compared to a higher priced 9900K now.

I went from an overclocked i7-2600K (which is more than 3 years older than the two CPU mentioned above) to the i9-9900K a few weeks ago. It was a huge jump in performance and I am happy with it, especially after the i7-2600 worked perfectly fine for me for more than 8 years (and now someone else continues to use it).

mcatalao
Posts: 990
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 15 Feb 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:Clocks aren't everything. Longer pipelines with instruction reordering, and branch prediction, and all sorts of other tricks that show up with each new generation let a CPU do more per clock.
I agree but that only amounts to what I've been saying to molotovbeats. It makes no sense buying a 2012 processor in 2019.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk


Koncrete
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Feb 2019

Post 15 Feb 2019

runs sweet on a dualcore macbook pro core having said that i use UAD for plug-ins , rack extensions i have no issue with either sound is handled by the UAD also , if anything i would say go with UAD for plug-ins , my system is empty literally just stock apps and reason/ UAD centre , it used SSD and has 8g ram , simply perfect for me

mcatalao
Posts: 990
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 15 Feb 2019

retreed wrote:
ScuzzyEye wrote:
15 Feb 2019
Clocks aren't everything. Longer pipelines with instruction reordering, and branch prediction, and all sorts of other tricks that show up with each new generation let a CPU do more per clock.
I think people do agree that Intel did not reinvent in the last few years and sort of warmed up most of their technology with stuff you mention. They allowed AMD to increase their share on the market and time will tell whether AMD is capable of becoming great on single core performance and the characterics you would need for great audio processing.

I think it is fair to say that the 3770k or 4790k offered a greater performance for the money when they were released compared to a higher priced 9900K now.

I went from an overclocked i7-2600K (which is more than 3 years older than the two CPU mentioned above) to the i9-9900K a few weeks ago. It was a huge jump in performance and I am happy with it, especially after the i7-2600 worked perfectly fine for me for more than 8 years (and now someone else continues to use it).
About the performance per moneybspent is hard to say.

You can compare it on cpu benchmark but first their values are not adjusted for inflation and they don't evaluate the price of the hardware needed.

I remember when I bought my 4790k it was a great deal because it had a gpu chip and the mboards were cheap compared to a 2011 lga board needed for the 6 core plus a gpu card. We were talking about 200-300 usd difference on top of a 600 eur cpu (250 eu more than the 4790k).

The 9900k is a 8 core cpu with gpu included it runs on 1151 lga which is pretty normal for today's i5 to I9. The processor value is not even high compared to 2017s I9s with 10 and 12 processors that didn't have the same performance.

It is the best cpu your money can buy without going bankrupt, imho and if you want to keep working with Intel. Of course Ryzen is a very strong Contender but I tend to keep away from AMD for my studio pc.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk


  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest