Mixing in Mono [DRUMS]

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Molotovbeatz

29 Jan 2019

Hi reason gang,

First of all I would like to great everyone, I just got my :reason: box few days ago and started to play around with the new DAW. I was an FL user before and decided to switch into Reason :mrgreen: .

I was watching the Propellerhead tutorial on Mixing in Mono in YouTube and I was wondering if the same technique applies to mixing kicks and snares that are in mono??

I managed to set up my Kong drum to only output in mono, but I would like to know if I need to also duplicate the kick or the snare and invert phase them to make it become stereo? If yes then how could I duplicate the kick or the snare for example since they are keyed in the Kong Drum. What would be the process?

Can anyone help me or clarify the situation? Thank you

napynap

29 Jan 2019

Drum samples in Kong are typically recorded in mono, so there won't be any phase issues like described in that video. The Kong drum has a stereo output so that you can individually pan the drums sounds within Kong if you want. Also, it includes onboard effects like reverb and delay. So, if you just have a basic kick, snare, hat groove from Kong. Just leave it panned straight up in the mixer and it will be fine. If you also have toms, rides, crashes, you can pan them individually within Kong if you would like. For more control of each Kong drum, you can turn it around (use the tab key) and route drums to individual channels on the main mixer (or by adding one of the line mixers in utilities).
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

Molotovbeatz

30 Jan 2019

@napynap,

Thank you for the clarification. Good to know. Cheers

moggadeet

30 Jan 2019

I would recommend you to map "n" to toggle the stereo/mono switch in placed in the master section. That way you can very quickly swap between stereo and mono. You can use a Thor for that, there are mastering combinator patches for that as well I think, or use a RE such as Anansi M/S Router or Quadelectra Stereo Splitter.

I wrote a post some time ago about such a setting like the one @napynap wrote about, with each Kong instrument on its separate channel.

Molotovbeatz

31 Jan 2019

moggadeet wrote:
30 Jan 2019
I would recommend you to map "n" to toggle the stereo/mono switch in placed in the master section. That way you can very quickly swap between stereo and mono. You can use a Thor for that, there are mastering combinator patches for that as well I think, or use a RE such as Anansi M/S Router or Quadelectra Stereo Splitter.

I wrote a post some time ago about such a setting like the one @napynap wrote about, with each Kong instrument on its separate channel.
That's what I exactly did when I watching the video, I even saved it on my template and I do use the Mono button very often to check the sounds of my productions. Very handy trick and very helpful when mastering on the mix table. :puf_bigsmile:

• Information