Going "back" to Rewire

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ahornberg

27 Jan 2019

Since Version 9.5 I used VSTs more often but I never really liked the way how VST support inside Reason works.

On the other hand I'm not satisfied with what Reason's sequencer has to offer.

So I decided to use Live and rewire Reason.

What are your opinions?

Anyone else doing this instead of using VSTs inside of Reason?

Any experiences that are worth to know?

Thanks in advance!

Crumbfort

27 Jan 2019

To be honest, this is primarily how I use Reason (rewired into Reaper). I'm not overly fond of Reason's sequencer or audio/midi/zooming/hotkeys/macros/etc.. in general.

I would love to have the Reason rack itself as a VST. Multiple instances across lots of tracks. Be awesome for not just synths but crazy audio processing/modulation, too. For me, at least, this would be easier to navigate and keep track of things. I suppose when VCV gets official VST support it will kind of be like this, but I would LOVE to use Reason in this way. Maybe someday!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Oquasec

27 Jan 2019

Reason as a vst is a good idea too, rewire is the point of propellerhead.
You can select a piano roll, select what features it has, and unlock the limitations of reason whenever you want to.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

zoidkirb

27 Jan 2019

Rewire into ableton is about as seamless as it can be. I love using lives session/clip launcher, and I actually utilize automation lanes in both reason and live at the same time. Having said that, overall I'm spending more time purely in Reason, as it's just naturally faster to get ideas up and running in one daw

manem78

28 Jan 2019

Hi! I am also using Reason and Reaper through rewire cause I am not fully satisfied with Reason sequencer. I am sequencing in Reaper, but do mixing in Reason cause rewire offers only 32 stereo channels and I use all of them easily in every project. I'm using automation both in Reaper and Reason. There are of course some problems with this approach (like inserting or deleting bars only in one sequencer..), but I got used to it.

ast3rix

28 Jan 2019

Oh, the pain... I actually was using this method years ago with protools. The problems I had where related directly to selection on instruments. I had to save the song sets in reason even though they were only instruments. I had lots of songs that I lost that way. I went full reason when record was added because of those issues. Now... i’m Just using Ableton and Logic Pro x for new tracks and still only using Reason for tracks that I created with it. Waiting to see what happens with the next resource update.

Ahornberg

30 Jan 2019

ast3rix wrote:
28 Jan 2019
Oh, the pain... I actually was using this method years ago with protools. The problems I had where related directly to selection on instruments. I had to save the song sets in reason even though they were only instruments. I had lots of songs that I lost that way. I went full reason when record was added because of those issues. Now... i’m Just using Ableton and Logic Pro x for new tracks and still only using Reason for tracks that I created with it. Waiting to see what happens with the next resource update.
Yes, having 2 song files for each song will end up in a mess easily.

• Information