Question about audio interfaces with usb input for Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stygian_corvidae

22 Jan 2019

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section but I wasn't sure if it should go here or in the hardware section.

I would like to get myself an audio interface for use with Reason. I know there have been many discussions about this but I have a small wrinkle to add. Are there any Reason compatible audio interfaces that would also allow for a usb mic to be connected to said audio interface?
I bought myself a rode usb mic and I do quite like it, however as I am using Reason on Windows I have hit an an issue with trying to use multiple audio devices. I have tried asio4all and combined the usb mic with my audio output device, however no matter what I do it the audio output starts to pop, crackle and desync after a minute or two.
Does what I am asking for exist or do I have to purchase another non-usb mic? Or perhaps someone knows of something else I can try?

Forgive me if these are stupid questions :/
Last edited by stygian_corvidae on 23 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

FlowerSoldier

23 Jan 2019

That's actually a really good question.

I had a Scarlett 2i4. It worked great with Reason and it was very budget friendly. Got some good plug-ins with it too.
But if you get one, you should get a mic that uses XLR cables. The old fashioned variety.

I wouldn't recommend a usb mic for music production.

But, that's just, like, my opinion man.

Heigen5

23 Jan 2019

Yeah, I'd also get a dynamic or a condenser mic that connects via a XLR. Because USB mics just are not that good.

stygian_corvidae

23 Jan 2019

Thanks for the replies guys. I hear you on the quality aspects. I will follow your advice once I have enough cash to afford it.
I was hoping I could spend the money on an audio interface and get a working mic as part of the deal in the near future, but I guess I will just have to build up to a functional audio interface and mic combo :)
Once again, thanks for the replies and recommendations.

mjxl

23 Jan 2019

You can try using Voicemeeter instead of Asio4all.
With this I can use my regular in and out on onboard sound card.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

jlgrimes

23 Jan 2019

stygian_corvidae wrote:
22 Jan 2019
Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section but I wasn't sure if it should go here or in the hardware section.

I would like to get myself an audio interface for use with Reason. I know there have been many discussions about this but I have a small wrinkle to add. Are there any Reason compatible audio interfaces that would also allow for a usb mic to be connected to said audio interface?
I bought myself a rode usb mic and I do quite like it, however as I am using Reason on Windows I have hit an an issue with trying to use multiple audio devices. I have tried asio4all and combined the usb mic with my audio output device, however no matter what I do it the audio output starts to pop, crackle and desync after a minute or two.
Does what I am asking for exist or do I have to purchase another non-usb mic? Or perhaps someone knows of something else I can try?

Forgive me if these are stupid questions :/

You would need to combine interfaces.

On Mac you need to create an aggregate device.

On PC you would need ASIO4ALL.

if clocks are too different, it might not be possible (might be the issue you are having) but some DAWS allow you to use one interface for input and another for playback. Not sure if Reason allow this.

Usually when you combine interfaces, they need to be synced. I dont believe USB allows syncing. You usually need word clock, spdif or adat optical to sync interfaces. Most USB mics are for podcasting or gaming not for studio use.
Last edited by jlgrimes on 23 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

jlgrimes

23 Jan 2019

stygian_corvidae wrote:
23 Jan 2019
Thanks for the replies guys. I hear you on the quality aspects. I will follow your advice once I have enough cash to afford it.
I was hoping I could spend the money on an audio interface and get a working mic as part of the deal in the near future, but I guess I will just have to build up to a functional audio interface and mic combo :)
Once again, thanks for the replies and recommendations.

Good mics can be had pretty cheaply these days.

Audio technica AT2020 is like $100 and is a damn good mic.

stygian_corvidae

23 Jan 2019

mjxl wrote:
23 Jan 2019

Fantastic!!!
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Voicemeeter. I gave it a run for a few hours last night and had zero issues with playback and recording.

mjxl

24 Jan 2019

stygian_corvidae wrote:
mjxl wrote:
23 Jan 2019

Fantastic!!!
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Voicemeeter. I gave it a run for a few hours last night and had zero issues with playback and recording.
Np :)

• Information