Clipping is inconsistent

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mashers

20 Jan 2019

Hi all

This is something I've struggled with for a long time but only just thought to ask about. I often find that when listening to a track in Reason, I'll spot the clip warning go off and then backtrack to the part where the clip warning occurred. I always go back a few bars to make sure I get the decay of anything that came before it, but I find that I am not always able to reproduce the clipping reliably. In the case which has just happened, there was audible clipping too, but when I replayed that part neither the clip warning nor the audible clip occurred. I don't understand how this is possible and why it would happen. It makes maximising volume really difficult. Any ideas? :?

rcbuse
RE Developer

20 Jan 2019

It really depends on what material you have. If you are summing just straight audio tracks, those should be consistent. If you have a bunch of MIDI driven synths or effects, those could vary slightly different between each playback due to all the different internal device phases.

mashers

20 Jan 2019

Ahh, that could explain it. I have a variety of audio tracks for vocals, and a range of different Reason devices. I hadn't considered they might be starting from a slightly different point in their run loop when you start playback. That would potentially explain it. Thanks! :)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2019

Yeah thanks from me too. Wondered the same thing on more than one occasion.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information