How are people using scales and chords?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Emian

18 Jan 2019

Some genres like dance music stay in one scale for the whole track. But in for example cinematic scores different scales are used in one song.

I am wondering how Reason-users use the scales and chords player.
I am interested in all types of music, I just hope to read some new tips.

Also, if one is using multiple scales in one track, which ones work together an which ones don't?

I have played a classical instrument in my youth (Clarinet) and i do have ambition to make some emotional/cinematic music, but chords and scales is a theory that is new to me...

I'm hoping on some helpful tips to spark new ideas [emoji4]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FEVER met Tapatalk

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

WongoTheSane

18 Jan 2019

I would venture that Scales&Chords isn't really suited to scoring a cinematic piece, for multiple reasons: on the composition side, those scores often use complex modulation techniques, like mode borrowing, clusters, temporary modulation, etc., which would require spending more time programming/automating S&C than actually playing them (voice leading would require programming the inversions on literally every chord for instance); on the technical side, reproducing an orchestra requires so much nuance in the actual playing that almost every note has to be set up individually (legato, bend, expression, vibrato, etc). At such a level of complexity, S&C would just be a hindrance IMHO.

On the other hand, it shines when doing generative music, for instance. Create a nice sound, pick a device that will output some random notes, and filter them through a S&C: you'll get an ever-changing wash that's perfect within one scale, with Scales; and Chords is useful to quickly find a chord progression within a scale while you're tweaking parameters with the right hand. Excellent for techno/dance progressions.

Chords is also good to test chord progressions in a scale you're not too familiar with, played in a key you're not comfortable with. F# locrian at the tip of one finger!

Also fun to try: pick a synth, add an RPG-8 beneath (or any other arpeggiator), combine them, and add a S&C in Chords mode on top of that. Easy arpeggios!

Edit: as to which scales go with which, they all go together well, it's the transition between them that's the problem! Some of those transitions are quite simple (between closely related keys, that is, keys which differ by only one note), some are devilishly complex. It's quite a deep subject, but if you search Google for "modulation techniques" or "modulating between closely related keys", you'll find tutorials that will help you.

Mich01

19 Jan 2019

I do not use thsi player very often, but sometimes it helps me to create interesting chordprogressions (or even melody).
I insert the player to en instrument which is playing a monophonic melodyline and then let the player do the work in al kind of different settings and scales.
I even did this in combination with neptune on a vocal track, and it delivered me some goed background lines.

Greetzzz Michel

scratchnsnifff

20 Jan 2019

At first I was hesitant about players. When 9 came out I remember seeing the add for scales and chords etc, I thought it was gimmicky. However, after trying them I soon found out how fun they are! Iv learned so much music theory (sort of) since 9 came out.

I do wish they would add more scales and chord progressions though. I love the minor and harmonic minor and I usually play in F G or E. So I’m finding that Il eventually need more scale/chordsets. I wish static cling would make a version of scales and chords so it would have every progression under the sun :)

Also, Iv been using scales and chords to use it for a basic 1st and 7th. Which are known as power chords. Using power chords is a great way to get a more melodic feel to the progression. You can essentially play powerchords just like a piano with fast notes. But if you do a normal triad it sometimes doesn’t sound all that fitting.

Idk overall Iv been finding new ways to use players or Iv been diving in deeper to the players I already have.
Maybe we will see a super crazy chord player someday, but for now I’m all good :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

RobC

20 Jan 2019

By not using them. xD

I'm still looking for a player where I can map my own chords to keys the way I want them. THAT would be useful for me.

dusan.cani

22 Jan 2019

If it's OK, I put my own question related to this topic:

What's the difference between for example C major and D dorian player modes ? Both scales uses the same group of notes...

phaza

22 Jan 2019

Different root note.

dusan.cani

22 Jan 2019

phaza wrote:
22 Jan 2019
Different root note.
I understand, but what advantage does it have in context of player ? When I select between these two scales I work always within the same notes. For example, I can have player in C major and write/play D dorian triad. The player filters the same notes in both scales. So having the option to set C major and D dorian scale feels redundant to me...Sorry I am new to the music theory, I just want to figure out how to use scales and chords player properly :puf_bigsmile:

pushedbutton

22 Jan 2019

dusan.cani wrote:
22 Jan 2019
phaza wrote:
22 Jan 2019
Different root note.
I understand, but what advantage does it have in context of player ? When I select between these two scales I work always within the same notes. For example, I can have player in C major and write/play D dorian triad. The player filters the same notes in both scales. So having the option to set C major and D dorian scale feels redundant to me...Sorry I am new to the music theory, I just want to figure out how to use scales and chords player properly :puf_bigsmile:
It's different, but it's the same. Hopefully that clears it up.

ok, here's a link, it's wikipedia so you know it's quality info. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_key
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

WongoTheSane

23 Jan 2019

The difference is that those two scales will use different alterations to help with resolutions and cadences, which you can see by using the "Alter" button. In C Major, the alt for a F chord is a Fm (think I-iv-V) and the alt for a G chord is a G#5, while in D Dorian they're a F#5 and a Gm respectively (whether those alt choices are appropriate is another matter, IIRC Marco Raaphorst doubted the sharp five was relevant when the device came out, particularly for diminished chords). Those small differences are here to help you settle the mood you're expecting from different modes. Same scale notes, but different passing (chromatic) notes.

groggy1

23 Jan 2019

I use Scales & Chords to try simple progressions - when I set "open" and try different inversions, it usually shows me a variation I hadn't thought of, and pulls me out of my "normal" chords.

I'm surprised there isn't a more advanced chords player out yet - e.g. I'd like to be able to use C0-C1 to select different chord types (augmented, diminished, etc), and then use higher notes to trigger the chords just like S&C works today. And like others mention, be able to build my own chords, and switch to them too. Why doesn't this exist?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

23 Jan 2019

groggy1 wrote:
23 Jan 2019
I use Scales & Chords to try simple progressions - when I set "open" and try different inversions, it usually shows me a variation I hadn't thought of, and pulls me out of my "normal" chords.

I'm surprised there isn't a more advanced chords player out yet - e.g. I'd like to be able to use C0-C1 to select different chord types (augmented, diminished, etc), and then use higher notes to trigger the chords just like S&C works today. And like others mention, be able to build my own chords, and switch to them too. Why doesn't this exist?
This maybe?

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... /chordset/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

michal22

23 Jan 2019

Yes, the chord memory device as an extension of the RE player is definitely needed. Strange that no one has implemented this yet. It does not seem difficult to do, but I do not have much knowledge about coding. I am also eager to buy such an extension. I introduce chords, and then play them with the possibility of exporting to the sequencer.
I am surprised that the factory player "scales & chords" only supports 4 notes. When combined with Dual Arpeggio, it does not allow you to expand the wings for these extensions.
P.S.
ChordSet is a very nice device. I use it willingly, especially after the last update. It's will be nice if the developer decides on the player version of this device.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Kalm

23 Jan 2019

Easy way to help me make synth patches. I just play a couple notes to create some chords or arms and loop it. Then tweak. Or when I want to sample a chord progression in Reason/Izotope Iris 2
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

mjxl

23 Jan 2019

groggy1 wrote:I use Scales & Chords to try simple progressions - when I set "open" and try different inversions, it usually shows me a variation I hadn't thought of, and pulls me out of my "normal" chords.

The combinator can do a LOT of this tbh

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

emilng

24 Jan 2019

The scales and chords player is really useful for making generative music if you want to keep everything in the same scale. CV Player Tap is great for sending notes from player devices to different places. I can have a single note going into scales and chords for one device that goes into the dual arpeggiator. That same note can also be routed into a scales and chords player routed into a polyphonic synth for a lush pad.

ast3rix

27 Jan 2019

Yes, everyday all the time. Scales help me with determining what notes to play in my melodies and chords I use for pads and filler parts. Its needed bro.

123repeater

28 Jan 2019

I'd only use scales and chords to have fun and come up with new ideas fast. It's way more useful to learn the key of C major/Aminor really well and then transpose the song to whatever key you want afterwards.

luc1972

28 Jan 2019

RobC wrote:By not using them. xD

I'm still looking for a player where I can map my own chords to keys the way I want them. THAT would be useful for me.
I'm using est scaler from pluggin boutique you can built the scale progression even adding some complex chords. I suggest To try the demo in order To get a full écopé of the vst.

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk

RobC

31 Jan 2019

luc1972 wrote:
28 Jan 2019
RobC wrote:By not using them. xD

I'm using est scaler from pluggin boutique you can built the scale progression even adding some complex chords. I suggest To try the demo in order To get a full écopé of the vst.

Envoyé de mon SM-A520W en utilisant Tapatalk
But I only use Reason as a DAW, and as far as I know, there's no MIDI out from VSTs ~ unless I missed that out in an update(?). That does sound nice, on the other hand.

• Information