500$ budget: Best audio interface/monitors

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
KIKBAK1

22 Jan 2019

[/quote]
I have two of these units and it ain't broke so I ain't fixing it. The two mic pres tend to get crackly and become useless with age, but still 8 ins and outs and acclaimed DA/AD. Firewire thing can be overcome with proper adapters. Frugality is considered uncool these days, like I care...
[/quote]

I have the 2 mic pres at a fixed setting now. Had a friend get rid of the outer gain pots (that’s what caused the crackle). I thought it was the Black Lion Mod that caused it. You can get 8 more ins/outs if you grab an Alesis Ai3 & connect via lightpipe. I push up to 16 channels of analog out
of that interface into my dangerous 2 buss whenever I feel like it. It’s a real work horse!!

Ok back to the original topic. Like I said earlier, these Sterlings sound very similar to NS10s.
Go to Guitar Center & have a listen, better yet
Listen to all the monitors they have & choose whatever you want. Just don’t get fooled by monitors that add extra bass or high end.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-A ... Monitor.gc
KIKBAK1.com

jlgrimes

23 Jan 2019

KIKBAK1 wrote:
22 Jan 2019
I have two of these units and it ain't broke so I ain't fixing it. The two mic pres tend to get crackly and become useless with age, but still 8 ins and outs and acclaimed DA/AD. Firewire thing can be overcome with proper adapters. Frugality is considered uncool these days, like I care...
[/quote]

I have the 2 mic pres at a fixed setting now. Had a friend get rid of the outer gain pots (that’s what caused the crackle). I thought it was the Black Lion Mod that caused it. You can get 8 more ins/outs if you grab an Alesis Ai3 & connect via lightpipe. I push up to 16 channels of analog out
of that interface into my dangerous 2 buss whenever I feel like it. It’s a real work horse!!

Ok back to the original topic. Like I said earlier, these Sterlings sound very similar to NS10s.
Go to Guitar Center & have a listen, better yet
Listen to all the monitors they have & choose whatever you want. Just don’t get fooled by monitors that add extra bass or high end.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-A ... Monitor.gc
[/quote]

Yamaha NS10s are known for being midrange heavy which works for referencing cheaper consumer systems, so you might consider something more modern sounding if you need something more full range. You could always add some very cheap PC Speakers to reference a substandard listening environment and might even be more beneficial for what some folks use to listen to music.

I used M audio bx8's before and they sounded pretty good. That said most cheaper monitors can be bass heavy especially 8 inch ones, so if you are in a genre where bass isn't as important, you might prefer a 6 inch system (which also can work better for smaller rooms and can be more bang for buck)

KIKBAK1

24 Jan 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
23 Jan 2019

Yamaha NS10s are known for being midrange heavy
[/quote]

Really? I don’t get that impression at all, and I’ve had them for quite some time now. Nowadays, there’s really no need to blast them anymore so they’re kept at a modest level mostly.

And contrary to popular belief, IMO they do have a decent bass response, depending on Amp, Watts, Room & Placement. I’m running a 70’s Crown DC-300a. Over 300 Watts of power to them.
I wouldn’t say they have “heavy bass” but it’s present!
KIKBAK1.com

miscend

26 Jan 2019

The best studio monitors under $500 are the Kali Audio LP-6/LP-8 and the JBL 305P/306P/308P.

The best mid range monitors are Hedd Type 07 or Eve Audio SC207.

If you want to go even higher end get the PMC Result 6s and call it a day.

Don’t bother with Rokits. I’ve had a pair for like 5 years, they’re very boxy sounding and not very revealing.

akeia

27 Jan 2019

In my personal opinion high end speakers are a thing of the past. They all have non-linear characteristics and need to be corrected anyway.

My setup and suggestion is:
- 2nd hand prosumer monitor speakers (f.e. KRK) $150
- no or cheap room tuning f.e. DIY bass trap (unless you have an extremly challenging room situation) $20
- Sonarworks Reference Studio 4 (with calibrated mic) $150-250 (regular sales)
- some Behringer USB Interface (24bit/192khz) (f.e. U-Phoria) $70
- Superlux HD668B Headphones $30

This gives you 2 corrected sound sources.

A lot of Professionals use and thumbs up the Sonarworks calibration. Check Youtube.

123repeater

28 Jan 2019

Id get those new Adam T5v and whatever cheap interface for starters then upgrade interface later. Or if you don't care about bass as much get the YAMAHA HS5's.

two shoes

28 Jan 2019

ok wow. this thread hurts my eyes to read - why bother to educate yourself about something when you can just find someone asking a question on the internet and pretend to know stuff instead! also, the thing i bought is totally the best thing - trust me i know cause i bought it....

QVprod

29 Jan 2019

two shoes wrote:
28 Jan 2019
ok wow. this thread hurts my eyes to read - why bother to educate yourself about something when you can just find someone asking a question on the internet and pretend to know stuff instead! also, the thing i bought is totally the best thing - trust me i know cause i bought it....
I don't see that at all here. Only thing I disagree with is the NS10 and similar suggestions for a guy who states in the op that he's a noob and wants monitors because he can't hear sub bass in his headphones. NS10s frequency range is 60Hz-20kHz = no sub bass. Otherwise, it's the internet , people give opinions based off of what worked for them, doesn't make their statements invalid.

• Information