500$ budget: Best audio interface/monitors

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Wobbleburger

17 Jan 2019

Preface: I know a lot about Reason and software in general. I do not know a lot about hardware, audio interfaces or studio monitors. So, go a bit easy on me and pardon the learning curve.

I know, I know: 500$ is a low number - it's a starting point. Which monitors / audio interface set up would you guys recommend for an entry-level set up for Reason? My first guess would be Scarlett Solo and Rokits? Also, would https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PATXSI/?c ... _lig_dp_it work? They're bluetooth and I totally understand the latency that involves... But would it be a way to skip the interface and get better sound than my headphones? Am I worse off than on headphones with these? Or, should I actually get proper monitors/interface?

I'm hitting a wall in that I'm working on a song... ( )
...and I cannot truly hear the sub bass in my headphones. It's very hard to mix... So, I'm walking outside to my Volvo to play the tracks through Google Drive to see how they sound. It's a pain and I need to make the jump soon. I also live in an apartment so I don't need a system so loud it vibrates the neighbors' nose hairs.

Sorry for the rambling... I'm a bit bored at work.

TDLR: 500$ - which monitors and interface? If more than 500$, why? I'm a noob and don't need much.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

EnochLight

17 Jan 2019

Well, you already know my suggestion: RME. It’ll be the last audio interface you’ll ever buy. You can get a Babyface Pro for slightly more than $500 USD, and it’s 100 percent worth it, IMHO.

If you’re interested in my experience as a Reasoner with a Babyface Pro, I can link to my review I posted some time back.

*EDIT: in case you’re interested:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7493584&hilit=Babyface+Pro
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jlgrimes

17 Jan 2019

I'd probably spend more on good monitors than interface.

A lowly focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is a pretty good interface depending on if you dont need much for inputs.

Monitors will depend more on preference. Might want to consider going used.

Oquasec

17 Jan 2019

ur22 & some eris.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Wobbleburger

17 Jan 2019

EnochLight wrote:
17 Jan 2019
Well, you already know my suggestion: RME. It’ll be the last audio interface you’ll ever buy. You can get a Babyface Pro for slightly more than $500 USD, and it’s 100 percent worth it, IMHO.

If you’re interested in my experience as a Reasoner with a Babyface Pro, I can link to my review I posted some time back.

*EDIT: in case you’re interested:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7493584&hilit=Babyface+Pro
The more I learn about this thing (and see the analyzing software) the more I want it.
Oquasec wrote:
17 Jan 2019
ur22 & some eris.
The Eris look nice! Amazing reviews on sweetwater.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

guitfnky

17 Jan 2019

before you even consider speakers, is your room treated? no amount of money spent on speakers or an interface will make it easier to mix well if your room acoustics aren’t good, even at lower volumes (although mixing at reasonable volumes is always a good idea).

if you don’t have any treatment, I think you can still do a lot within your budget. a few homemade acoustic panels (Owens Corning 703) can be made for under $100, I think. if you spend $300 on an okay pair of monitors, and another $100 on an interface, you should have a decent little setup.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

QVprod

17 Jan 2019

You're not gonna get any monitors that give you greater sub bass than headphones along with an interface for $500. Most 5" monitors, which are what would fall within your budget only go down to around 50Hz where as headphones tend to go down to 20Hz. If you can't hear sub bass with your headphones I'd say the easiest thing to do is replace your headphones. That said, if you really want an interface and monitors here's something that should give you a decent entry level setup that'll fit your budget

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... oria-umc22
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... io-monitor (these actually go down to 35Hz)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

18 Jan 2019

Presonus interface and Adam T5V.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

KIKBAK1

19 Jan 2019

Studio Monitors

Sterling Audio MX5 5" Powered Studio Monitors - They sound like NS10s & are very affordable, I've heard them with my own ears and they sound better than Rockits! https://www.guitarcenter.com/Sterling-A ... gJL1PD_BwE $250 for a brand new pair. Im sure you can find cheaper on Craigslist or whatever.

Interface

I would find and older MOTU 828mkii. Why? you ask, because it has midi in, out, thru. 12 audio inputs with 2 guitar/MIC inputs on the front, 8 outputs + stereo outputs, SPDIF in/out & ADAT/Toslink IN/Outs. here's one on eBay for 100 bucks https://www.ebay.com/itm/motu-828-mkii/ ... :rk:1:pf:0

the Mk2 are firewire only I believe, but the some mk3 are USB

or you can grab a a focurite scarlett 2i2...

$350.00 Total
KIKBAK1.com

two shoes

19 Jan 2019

if you're interested in other suggestions i'd consider looking for a used set of kef lsx wireless speakers. you should be able to find a set on ebay or audiogon for under $600 if not $500 and those would have several advantages over any combination of interface and nearfields that you could get in that price range for most types of music. the one case where i might consider a cheap saffire interface and rokits a better option is if you're producing styles of music that contain a lot of low frequency content - in that case provided you can find a pair of krk or similar cheap monitors in your budget with 6" or larger woofers that might be a better option as the lsx system will probably roll off a little higher than you want for bassy styles of music, but honestly accurate bass extension is something that bedroom producers on almost any budget have to compromise on to some degree. the trick is to learn through experience how whatever monitors you end up using translate to other types of playback systems like earbuds, car stereos, and PAs.

the amplifiers for the lsx speakers are inside them like most nearfield studio monitors and the conversion is going to be of similar quality to a cheap saffire type interface if not a little better. they also have the bluetooth option built in like the edifier wireless system you mentioned but they are a much higher performance speaker. in fact, the level of detail and resolution with the lsx system is going to be in a different league altogether than almost any speaker marketed as a nearfield studio monitor for under $500. some people who are really into loudspeakers would tell you they're competitive with some nearfield monitors selling for several thousand dollars a pair across the crucial midrange frequencies. the importance of those midrange frequencies is basically the reason the NS-10s became a standard secondary monitor in so many studios - they really don't to anything well except reveal problems in that all important midrange and upper midrange band.

KIKBAK1

19 Jan 2019

Rockits usually have good bass, there's no denying that, but i never liked the highend and I don't find them good for mixing
KIKBAK1.com

two shoes

19 Jan 2019

a couple points about the room treatment option that someone mentioned. i agree that along with good speaker placement and setup it's at least as important as the montoring system for all but the most acoustically ideal rooms, but don't get the impression that randomly installing various types of acoustic treatments is going to help much - you could actually make things worse. with acoustic treatment you should know the specific problem you are attempting to address with each type and instance of treatment and the only way to know this for sure is to use a measurement mic and computer software to determine exactly what issues exist at your listening position in your room. then you have to determine what type of acoustic treatment in what location will best mitigate those specific issues. for most people working in normally shaped, normally constructed, normal sized rooms at a normal listening position who aren't planning to spend thousands on acoustic treatment there are a few specific steps that often yield the best results for the least time and effort. first, don't put your speakers right up against a wall and try to avoid setting them on a flimsy desk with zero isolation. spend some time learning the basics of optimal speaker placement in typical rectangular rooms and do the best you can with the room you have. then do some research on effective diy methods of speaker isolation - youtube is a great resource. basically you want to immobilize the speaker cabinet to the degree possible as well as decoupling it from the surface supporting it, especially if that surface is the desk or table your workstation is set up on. beyond proper monitor placement and isolation, in my experience some good homemade diffuser panels will do more for most typical rooms than bass traps or absorption panels. there are any number of ways to make your own diffuser panels relatively cheaply if you have some time to devote to it - i'd suggest the QRD type. in many cases, diffuser panels placed at the point of first reflection for your speakers is a good option for mitigating the most common types of problems - google the mirror trick to determine those points. i would not reccomend relying on even the best headphones as your primary monitoring system - certainly you should have them as a secondary reference but imo you're better off with almost any passable nearfield loudspeaker in almost any room. good luck!

two shoes

19 Jan 2019

KIKBAK1 wrote:
19 Jan 2019
Rockits usually have good bass, there's no denying that, but i never liked the highend and I don't find them good for mixing
i'm just using rokits as a stand in for "monitors the sub $500 price range" since he mentioned krk and i don't know any other specific models in that price range. and while "good bass" is definitely a relative term, in my book any speaker (or headphones if you must) that enable you to enjoy making music are "good for mixing".

KIKBAK1

19 Jan 2019

two shoes wrote:
19 Jan 2019
KIKBAK1 wrote:
19 Jan 2019
i'm just using rokits as a stand in for "monitors the sub $500 price range" since he mentioned krk and i don't know any other specific models in that price range. and while "good bass" is definitely a relative term, in my book any speaker (or headphones if you must) that enable you to enjoy making music are "good for mixing".
And I'm using "good bass" as a stand in for "bass heavy & hyped bass" not my preference in monitors for mixing personally. I prefer flat response monitors ie Yamaha NS10m.
KIKBAK1.com

KGB

20 Jan 2019

Yamaha HS8. If I'm not mistaken, they are modelled after the NS10. I mean Yamaha won a Grammy for their NS10 for crying out loud.

I had a pair and they were my favorite speakers at the time. I'll prob buy another pair once I upsize.

WarStar

20 Jan 2019

Room treatment will probably be less important than actually making your purchase of monitors/interface considering your situation.

A poor man's approach might be figuring out what your room sounds like, as is, with reference tracks. Pick some in the genre you gravitate towards. Reference tracks will tell you plenty of info on what kind of bass traps you may have or bright reflections you may have in your room. Work on those areas as best you can while continuing to audition your reference tracks. You'll begin to feel when your bass traps are adequately addressed and it probably won't be perfect. Also listen for bright/sharp sounding reflections in your mids-to hi's... Mostly this is from bare walls where there's nothing to break up the sound from a direct bounce/reflection of the wall.

This may take some time and some maybe rearrangement of your room but you should be able to make something work. Like I said it's not gonna be perfect but it'll be ok enough for what you're shooting for.

The importance of reference tracks, which might be some of your favorite songs which is best because you've probably listened to them on several different sources and in several different settings, so you should "know" how they "should" sound like. Obviously then you can attempt to match that Sonic character with your own productions.

kitekrazy

20 Jan 2019

Sometimes JBLs are on sale $200/pr. M-Audio DBX will be on sale. As for audio interfaces some nice ones are for under $300. That depend on how many in/outs you want. Ident, Focusrite, NI komplete 6, Steinberg UR series. If there are factors like space good headphones will do the job.

KIKBAK1

20 Jan 2019

KGB wrote:
20 Jan 2019
Yamaha HS8. If I'm not mistaken, they are modelled after the NS10. I mean Yamaha won a Grammy for their NS10 for crying out loud.

I had a pair and they were my favorite speakers at the time. I'll prob buy another pair once I upsize.

Didn’t know that Yamaha won a Grammy for them, that’s cool. I have a couple pairs of NS10s. One pair in use and another pair for backup. Also running a Crown DC-300A amp on them.
KIKBAK1.com

Noplan
Competition Winner

21 Jan 2019

If I had nothing and had this budget, I would put together this set.

https://www.thomann.de/de/swissonic_asm5.htm 159 €
https://www.thomann.de/de/swissonic_sub10.htm 198 €
https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_u_p ... c202hd.htm 59 €
https://www.thomann.de/de/superlux_hd681.htm 19,90 €

435,90 €. That's a good and cheap basis to work with.

In addition I would also recommend to build DIY Auratones for ~ 50 €. Not only are they useful, they are also fun to build and cost almost nothing.
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=43086.0

ionly

21 Jan 2019

Yamaha HS8 monitors are extremely good for the money, but probably out of your budget if considering an interface as well (although, a used pair might suffice). The Focusrite 2i2 or 2i4 are good budget interfaces and the 1st generation are commonly found used on eBay (or on Facebook's Marketplace). I think 90% of my recording/mixing gear was purchased used - yes, there's a risk involved, but I've never had any problems so far touch wood!

Good luck!

two shoes

21 Jan 2019

yikes, this thread is a great example of why asking for advice about stuff like acoustics on an internet forum can be a hit or miss proposition. ima let these other experts take it from here, but do keep an eye out for invisible bass traps - i hear they'll bite ya in the butt when you aren't looking. in other news Yamaha won a grammy for the flat frequency response of NS 10. i dunno what bright reflections are but they're prolly dangerous too...

two shoes

21 Jan 2019

i shouldn't be such a curmudgeon - i'm sure i pretended to know about shit i had absolutely no clue about when i was a teenager too. for anyone who cares here's a short article about the history of the NS-10's use as a nearfield studio monitor - note that like the kef wireless system i suggested above, they are time and phase (relatively) coherent across the most critical range of frequencies for mixing many types of music, albeit with a decidedly un-flat overall freq response.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story

QVprod

22 Jan 2019

KGB wrote:
20 Jan 2019

The HS monitors actually aren't modeled after the NS10s. The HS5s though do have a similar frequency range. Some claim they sound similar but I've heard NS10s were used because they're pretty crappy sounding (subjective I'm sure). The HS5 are definitely not that.
two shoes wrote:
21 Jan 2019
i shouldn't be such a curmudgeon - i'm sure i pretended to know about shit i had absolutely no clue about when i was a teenager too. for anyone who cares here's a short article about the history of the NS-10's use as a nearfield studio monitor - note that like the kef wireless system i suggested above, they are time and phase (relatively) coherent across the most critical range of frequencies for mixing many types of music, albeit with a decidedly un-flat overall freq response.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story
I personally wouldn't recommend NS10s to someone who claims to know very little about audio hardware due to the amplifier requirement. That and in this case the OP has trouble hearing bass response, NS10s will make that problem worse. If it weren't for the bass response problem I might have recommended the HS5s. Otherwise I would agree with K1KBAK1, that I'm not a fan of Rockit monitors either.

motuscott

22 Jan 2019

KIKBAK1 wrote:
19 Jan 2019
Interface

I would find and older MOTU 828mkii. Why? you ask, because it has midi in, out, thru. 12 audio inputs with 2 guitar/MIC inputs on the front, 8 outputs + stereo outputs, SPDIF in/out & ADAT/Toslink IN/Outs. here's one on eBay for 100 bucks https://www.ebay.com/itm/motu-828-mkii/ ... :rk:1:pf:0
the Mk2 are firewire only I believe, but the some mk3 are USB
I have two of these units and it ain't broke so I ain't fixing it. The two mic pres tend to get crackly and become useless with age, but still 8 ins and outs and acclaimed DA/AD. Firewire thing can be overcome with proper adapters. Frugality is considered uncool these days, like I care...
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

bxbrkrz

22 Jan 2019

Are we still talking about a maximum budget of $499.99 (including taxes)? If this is the case then realistically you should consider looking into Behringer solutions first.
https://www.sweetwater.com/c404--Behrin ... ors/newest
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

• Information