Guess the beta release date for Reason 10.3 ...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ad0

21 Feb 2019

RandyEspoda wrote:
20 Feb 2019

They didn't rewrite the engine, they have to unlock the 64-sample buffer of the vst-wrapper while conversely maintaining it
for all stock and RE devices. That's what is taking them so long.
... which means rewriting the engine. They have to accomodate for this through the whole system.

Loque

21 Feb 2019

Ad0 wrote:
21 Feb 2019
RandyEspoda wrote:
20 Feb 2019

They didn't rewrite the engine, they have to unlock the 64-sample buffer of the vst-wrapper while conversely maintaining it
for all stock and RE devices. That's what is taking them so long.
... which means rewriting the engine. They have to accomodate for this through the whole system.
Rewriting means "throw away and REWRITE". Nobody with a brain would do this with a big system.
Reason12, Win10

Karim
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2019

:roll: All that was announced exactly 69 days ago from today.... :roll:
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

guitfnky

21 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2019
Ad0 wrote:
21 Feb 2019

Rewriting means "throw away and REWRITE". Nobody with a brain would do this with a big system.
unless they have to. which they may.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

QVprod

21 Feb 2019

ProfessaKaos wrote:
20 Feb 2019
QVprod wrote:
20 Feb 2019

What information would you like to know? We know it's in alpha with the test pilots. Not really sure what status updates besides "here's the beta" would entail...
Communication is key to anything successful.
But what communication? What is there to say that we don't already know?

fotizimo

21 Feb 2019

guitfnky wrote:
21 Feb 2019
Yonatan wrote:
21 Feb 2019
Well, PH had to say something about an expected update because the comparison with other DAWs got into a tricky situation and frustration. PH had to calm the mob of rumours, or people would drop off from supporting PH and go elsewhere. Hope to see the update in mars.
nah, most Reason users wouldn’t stop using it just because they’re waiting for a particular improvement to come along. there are lots of features that took Props years to finally implement, and they’ve done just fine for themselves.
Honestly, I am in a holding pattern with Reason right now, due to ever declining performance on my computer. I have been using Reason on this computer since v8, and I can barely even open projects built in v8 (non-VST) in v10 with 0 hardware changes. I am heavily invested in the Reason ecosystem, but am trialing Bitwig because it has VSTs and run so much better. If Reason 10.3 doesn't run well, I will move along and remember the sad days of using Expanse and VK-2, and look for their VST equivalent.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Creativemind

21 Feb 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
03 Feb 2019
26th February.
Next Tuesday. Sounds about right. I'll go with that date.
Last edited by Creativemind on 21 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ProfessaKaos

21 Feb 2019

QVprod wrote:
21 Feb 2019
ProfessaKaos wrote:
20 Feb 2019

Communication is key to anything successful.
But what communication? What is there to say that we don't already know?
A progress update 😳 It has been 2 months since the last progress update.
Last edited by ProfessaKaos on 21 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

hurricane
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2019

I really wouldn't like a progress update telling me they're progressing with the update.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

ProfessaKaos

21 Feb 2019

hurricane wrote:
21 Feb 2019
I really wouldn't like a progress update telling me they're progressing with the update.
My anxiety does
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

QVprod

21 Feb 2019

ProfessaKaos wrote:
21 Feb 2019
hurricane wrote:
21 Feb 2019
My anxiety does
It's not like they won't release it. They already gave us a progress update. Only other thing they can say is "we're still working on it" which would be pointless. We know that already. They also said they're not giving another release date since they missed the last one. Which makes sense, if they miss another one it would just make you more anxious.

Ad0

21 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2019
Ad0 wrote:
21 Feb 2019

Sometimes with a big system the only way to rewrite is to just do that, and maybe copy in something from the old source here and there.
Yours truly, a software developer with > 20 years experience in the field.

Ad0

21 Feb 2019

fotizimo wrote:
21 Feb 2019
Honestly, I am in a holding pattern with Reason right now, due to ever declining performance on my computer. I have been using Reason on this computer since v8, and I can barely even open projects built in v8 (non-VST) in v10 with 0 hardware changes. I am heavily invested in the Reason ecosystem, but am trialing Bitwig because it has VSTs and run so much better. If Reason 10.3 doesn't run well, I will move along and remember the sad days of using Expanse and VK-2, and look for their VST equivalent.
People are leaving Bitwig, because they are frustrated with bugs and crashes... Pick your poison!

Undistraction

21 Feb 2019

This is definitely taking the piss now.

Loque

21 Feb 2019

Ad0 wrote:
21 Feb 2019
Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2019

Sometimes with a big system the only way to rewrite is to just do that, and maybe copy in something from the old source here and there.
>25 years 😆
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

21 Feb 2019

fotizimo wrote:
21 Feb 2019
guitfnky wrote:
21 Feb 2019

nah, most Reason users wouldn’t stop using it just because they’re waiting for a particular improvement to come along. there are lots of features that took Props years to finally implement, and they’ve done just fine for themselves.
understandable. there are always going to be people at the edges who are more or less impacted by certain features being unavailable or working sub-optimally. sucks that you're one of those who's more impacted by this particular one, but it's good to hear that the fact that they're *currently* working on it gives you enough optimism that you're not cutting your losses until you see what the update does for performance.

that said, I'm sticking by my (un)educated guess that the majority of current users aren't looking at this, or any one requested feature to determine whether they'll keep using Reason.

jappe

21 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2019
Ad0 wrote:
21 Feb 2019

>25 years 😆
35 years here and I still feel lost every now and then :puf_bigsmile:

Hard to tell how easy of a task it is to update Vs rewrite.

In general, if the original programmers are still available, it becomes easier.
Also, if programmers got to decide solutions without interference of let's say finance ppl, then probably, hopefully, more maintainable solutions would be the result.

I trust them to do the best they can under any circumstances.

avasopht
Competition Winner

21 Feb 2019

I'm just not using VSTs. I bought a few on black friday but if I start using them I will probably start getting impatient about it as well.

So I'm just happily using Reason as I've been using it for the last 15 years.

ProfessaKaos

21 Feb 2019

QVprod wrote:
21 Feb 2019
ProfessaKaos wrote:
21 Feb 2019

My anxiety does
It's not like they won't release it. They already gave us a progress update. Only other thing they can say is "we're still working on it" which would be pointless. We know that already. They also said they're not giving another release date since they missed the last one. Which makes sense, if they miss another one it would just make you more anxious.
True, I see your point.

Loque

21 Feb 2019

avasopht wrote:
21 Feb 2019
I'm just not using VSTs. I bought a few on black friday but if I start using them I will probably start getting impatient about it as well.

So I'm just happily using Reason as I've been using it for the last 15 years.
Same here... Just got a mega crash at weekend with an iZotope product. All song changes were lost, Reason wouldn't start on first try... Yea VSTs...
Reason12, Win10

fieldframe
RE Developer

22 Feb 2019

jappe wrote:
21 Feb 2019
Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2019

>25 years 😆
35 years here and I still feel lost every now and then :puf_bigsmile:

Hard to tell how easy of a task it is to update Vs rewrite.

In general, if the original programmers are still available, it becomes easier.
Also, if programmers got to decide solutions without interference of let's say finance ppl, then probably, hopefully, more maintainable solutions would be the result.

I trust them to do the best they can under any circumstances.
This is true. None of us truly know how Reason is architected. Even Propellerhead, with all its institutional knowledge, clearly couldn’t predict how long it would take to rewrite Reason’s core.

Oftentimes, software development is an inexact science.

friday

22 Feb 2019

Loque wrote:
21 Feb 2019
Same here... Just got a mega crash at weekend with an iZotope product. All song changes were lost, Reason wouldn't start on first try... Yea VSTs...
Since version 10 i had this from time to time (thankfully not to much), need to restart windows otherwise reason doesn't work anymore. Last time two weeks before with Reason 10.2.2 and a fabfilter VST.

So what i have learned since version 10 ist to save every 5min :-(
Last edited by friday on 23 Feb 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

22 Feb 2019

friday wrote:
22 Feb 2019
So what i have learned since version 10 ist to save every 5min :-(
^^This

And this is hard to remember if i just had a good 2h session and in my flow i drag a VST into the rack and BOOMMM!!! :evil:
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

22 Feb 2019

just seeing someone mention working for two hours in a session without even considering saving stresses me out. I mean, I get that Reason is fairly stable, but that’s only a small piece of the rationale for frequent saves. what if there’s a power outage? what if some other hardware component decides to fail at an inopportune moment? what if a driver issue crops up unexpectedly? there are thousands of reasons a program—or your computer—might stop working.

kind of baffling that anyone with more than a couple of years using computers still hasn’t learned that lesson. not really trying to be snarky as I’m probably coming across, but I just don’t get it. it’s not like saving takes a lot of time. literally a two-button keystroke.

• Information