Rhodes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
changnoi

03 Jan 2019

QVprod wrote:
02 Jan 2019
Best to me is Neo Soul Keys Studio. Sounds the most like the real thing to me. The options in the Factory sound bank are ok. but If you are particular about the Rhodes sound, not so much. Same with Radical Keys, and others like Lounge Lizard and Scarbee Mark I. Good sounding but lacking the realness. Expensive at $199 (includes 2 different rhodes models, wurli, clav and others), but they do quite a few sales throughout the year. https://neosoulkeys.com/
Well this is a reasons site so have you tried it on Reasons (which version)

its a vst plug but not all are created equal and there's no mention of validation for PH. I dont think the offer a trial first either

guitfnky

03 Jan 2019

since this is a Reason site, wouldn't it be assumed that it's being used in Reason? :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

changnoi

03 Jan 2019

guitfnky wrote:
03 Jan 2019
since this is a Reason site, wouldn't it be assumed that it's being used in Reason? :lol:
NOOOOOOO

commercxial pluggers and wannabe song writers strutting their stuff will say anything for a click

OBTW you didnt answer the question :o

guitfnky

03 Jan 2019

who didn't answer what question?

selig
RE Developer

03 Jan 2019

changnoi wrote:Sawa'dee pee mai

Hi guys can any kind user suggest the nearest I can get to the old Rhodes piano sound :D
My 2 cents…

Since there are almost as many “Rhodes” sounds as there are guitar sounds (and as many die-hard users that will suggest “their” chosen sound is best, like with guitars), you may want to post an example of the actual sound you’re looking for.

I’ve played hundreds of Rhodes in my lifetime and they all sound different to me. Would be hard pressed to identify one software Rhodes instrument that could sound like every hardware Rhodes out there.

Also consider a lot of the reason Rhodes players prefer one instrument (software or hardware) over another is how it FEELS when played - something you may or may not care about, depending on how much experience you have playing the hardware versions. This is why a Rhodes player will play a live show using one Rhodes all night, but demand a software instrument with tons of controls/variables (to try to match the one “ideal” Rhodes sound in their heads).

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

changnoi

03 Jan 2019

guitfnky wrote:
03 Jan 2019

its a vst plug but not all are created equal and there's no mention of validation for PH. I dont think the offer a trial first either

Well ? Its a serious question and deserves an honest reply

any more evasion clearly mean - no you havent tried it in Reasons

guitfnky

03 Jan 2019

selig wrote:
03 Jan 2019
changnoi wrote:Sawa'dee pee mai

Hi guys can any kind user suggest the nearest I can get to the old Rhodes piano sound :D
Also consider a lot of the reason Rhodes players prefer one instrument (software or hardware) over another is how it FEELS when played
that's a really good point... I love Addictive Keys Mark One because it feels great to me, but after considering this comment, I should point out I'm not a keyboardist. I've been playing the AKM1 using a guitar (MIDI Guitar 2) as the controller, and it sounds great because it *feels* great (and vice versa?). I could never play like that with an actual keyboard, so it may or may not feel right for others.

guitfnky

03 Jan 2019

changnoi wrote:
03 Jan 2019
guitfnky wrote:
03 Jan 2019

evasion? maybe try paying attention to who's posting what. your question wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer it anyway... no, I've never used the plugin QVProd suggested in any DAW, let alone Reason. maybe wait for QVProd to respond to answer your question? :?

hurricane
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2019

changnoi wrote:
03 Jan 2019

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, it's "REASON' (singular) not "REASONS" (plural).

Thanks.

Now good luck on finding your Rhodeses.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

QVprod

03 Jan 2019

changnoi wrote:
03 Jan 2019
QVprod wrote:
02 Jan 2019
Best to me is Neo Soul Keys Studio. Sounds the most like the real thing to me. The options in the Factory sound bank are ok. but If you are particular about the Rhodes sound, not so much. Same with Radical Keys, and others like Lounge Lizard and Scarbee Mark I. Good sounding but lacking the realness. Expensive at $199 (includes 2 different rhodes models, wurli, clav and others), but they do quite a few sales throughout the year. https://neosoulkeys.com/

changnoi wrote:
03 Jan 2019
guitfnky wrote:
03 Jan 2019
NOOOOOOO

commercxial pluggers and wannabe song writers strutting their stuff will say anything for a click
Umm... I didn't make this plugin, I'm simply recommending it, and yes considering that I'm recommending it on a Reason site, like guitfnky said, it goes without saying that I've used it in Reason. You're not gonna find a trial for a lot of instrument plugins. There are several video demos on that site though.

changnoi

03 Jan 2019

So the composite advice on this board is dont buy a VST until you've trialled it on your set up :?

sonicbyte

04 Jan 2019

Google it like "Matt's 8 Layer Suitcase Rhodes refill"

Loque

04 Jan 2019

changnoi wrote:
03 Jan 2019
So the composite advice on this board is dont buy a VST until you've trialled it on your set up :?
You lost me somewhere with your posts about THIS BOARD :? ...What was your question again? Rhodes? Some quite good hints here IMO.
Reason12, Win10

changnoi

05 Jan 2019

It seems Selig is quite right, there are so many wannabe copies of the original Rhodes sound just the same as guitar sounds. its the knobs and sliders nuts unrestrained shite. Why do , cos they can and it costs nothing and hundreds of cmb's looks good. the humble aspiring musician long since deflated by endless searching , time wasting. After you have heard 10 ersatz rhode you lose your own direction

moneykube

05 Jan 2019

https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Loque

05 Jan 2019

changnoi wrote:
05 Jan 2019
It seems Selig is quite right, there are so many wannabe copies of the original Rhodes sound just the same as guitar sounds. its the knobs and sliders nuts unrestrained shite. Why do , cos they can and it costs nothing and hundreds of cmb's looks good. the humble aspiring musician long since deflated by endless searching , time wasting. After you have heard 10 ersatz rhode you lose your own direction
If you are not happy with the wannabe copies, you should really buy the original. The price tag is somewhere around 1500 and more.
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

05 Jan 2019

changnoi wrote:
05 Jan 2019
It’s only as endless as your own satisfaction. Tweakable parameters are the solution for different sounding Rhodes. You custom tailor it to get the sound to how you want it with only 1 purchase.

selig
RE Developer

05 Jan 2019

changnoi wrote:It seems Selig is quite right, there are so many wannabe copies of the original Rhodes sound just the same as guitar sounds. its the knobs and sliders nuts unrestrained shite. Why do , cos they can and it costs nothing and hundreds of cmb's looks good. the humble aspiring musician long since deflated by endless searching , time wasting. After you have heard 10 ersatz rhode you lose your own direction
The bigger point I was trying to make is that there is no “sounds closest to the real Rhodes” since each individual physical instrument can sound different.

In other words, don’t listen to those who say “this one is closest to the real thing” because there are near infinite varieties of the originals, and we each have our personal favorites - as do YOU, but you may not have found yours yet.

TL/DR: To each their own; don’t listen to the others, find your own.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Loque

05 Jan 2019

Here is a quick example of Arturias Rhodes. Since i dunno for what sound you are really looking, i put in a random "Jazz Rhodes" and played (downloaded random midi) the bass and lead part with that instrument. A bit Soundtoys and TSAR for the room and SSL+FET for the punch, Kuassa for the final stuff. Listen to as long as Allihoopa is on.
Reason12, Win10

changnoi

05 Jan 2019

sonicbyte wrote:
04 Jan 2019
this came out for R3
now all links are dead

googling search PH no result :thumbs_down:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Jan 2019

changnoi wrote:
05 Jan 2019
sonicbyte wrote:
04 Jan 2019
this came out for R3
now all links are dead

googling search PH no result :thumbs_down:
http://www.shoetree.us/aubergine/reason/refills/
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jlgrimes

07 Jan 2019

Reason has some pretty cool Rhodes built-in. Pretty suitable for live gigs.

It had the Electromechanical refill which was free but I think they ended up rolling it in the Factory library.

Spectrasonics Keyscape is pretty dope btw but uses alot of HD space.

• Information