velocity control in Reason 4

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
cosmos702

25 Dec 2018

i know i'm stuck in the past. i never outgrew Reason 4 so it's what i still use. i hope someone still remembers version 4.
my question/problem: in the sequencer if i set the velocity of a note to 1, the note sounds almost as loud as 100. how is the volume
of an individual note controlled? the velocity control seems to have very little effect. i thought the control was for imitation whether
i am hitting the guitar strings or the piano keys hard or soft. what am i missing?

bitley

25 Dec 2018

Very shortly; You are missing the difference between a Korg Poly 800 and a grand piano.

jam-s

25 Dec 2018

You will have to make sure the velocity actually controls a part (eg. volume) of your patch. The manual of the device in question will tell you more on this.

WeLoveYouToo

26 Dec 2018

jam-s wrote:
25 Dec 2018
You will have to make sure the velocity actually controls a part (eg. volume) of your patch. The manual of the device in question will tell you more on this.
exactly this.
i still have my R4 discs and manuals coincidentally, but the process is the same.
every device has a knob on it that says "velocity to amp" or something similar.
if set to zero, then velocity will do nothing. turn it to max, then velocity of 127 will be max volume and velocity of 1 will be the softest.
this is becasue the velocity is a variable that is not directly tied to anything until you (or the preset you load) attaches it to something. you can also twist the "velocity to filter" knob so that a lower velocity will make the amp (volume) lower, as well as cutting of high frequencies the softer it gets, mimicking how real instruments change their tonality with volume.

congratulations, you are now on your way to making infinity more complex patches and learning what reason is all about.

cosmos702

08 Jan 2019

i thank you all for your responses. this is not a criticism, i put all the blame on me. i'm old, but i didn't understand any of the replies.

jam-s

08 Jan 2019

You might want to tell us what instrument's volume you're trying to control via velocity. That's important info as the process is different depending on what synth/sampler/rompler/etc. you're using.

If you come from Reason 4 and have just upgraded to Reason 10. I suggest reading a lot of http://docs.propellerheads.se/reason10/ ... .01.1.html as you will find hundreds of useful tips in the manual.

For example NN19 has these options for velocity control: http://docs.propellerheads.se/reason10/ ... .42.8.html

Oquasec

08 Jan 2019

Propellerhead has all the tutorials on the propellerhead website.
They did such a good job on those.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information