Predicting Reason 11’s release date

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Data_Shrine
Posts: 488
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 17 Dec 2018

daisky wrote:
17 Dec 2018

This will be an easy decision for me. If they modernize the resolution and it looks pretty on 4k screens (like Arturia did with their V collection) then it's an instant buy for me even if that is the only new thing they add. If they don't, no matter what other new features there are, I will not even consider it.
I feel the same way. I'm waiting on this before I put any more money into Reason.

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1335
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 17 Dec 2018

Zac wrote:
17 Dec 2018
I think it is a long way off too.

As software matures I guess it gets harder to give the wow factor to updates.

For me I ask what's missing that is needed?

With Europa and Grain, Reason now cuts the mustard ITB but I guess a new native sampler would be welcome by many.

Improved VST support - tick :thumbs_up:

Support for midi VSTs
VST3 support will be needed at some point
Support for hi res screens

But beyond those it's less what is needed and down to personal preferences. Not much that I couldn't live without. My 1st request would be that the browser is visited again and given the feature updates that are often requested. I know many want a sequencer update too. But I fear it would go the way of the browser (I don't like many aspects of the update).

I read a thread over on kvr praising the Europa VST... a guy quotes some praise and then writes that he just hopes it gets regular updates.. This baffles me. What is he expecting? More patches.? New features? I can understand wanting bug fixes if there are any but beyond that why does a synth have to evolve to become 'all synths'? A lot of the praise is for its focus and usability. Regular updates... Pah :roll:
Well Europa could be a new source for an ever changing synth. By this I mean something they consistently add new filters too, the ability to save env shapes

Samples in all 3 engines, a global spectral filter setting
Harmonic generator algorithms

There’s room in the env section (on the left)
Where they could add either another envelope. Or they could get really crazy an add either a partial editor, or a wave sequence editor :) there are tons of ideas that could work really well with Europa I like the additive partial editor, and from their they could implement a random gain feature that would let you modulate the amplitude and phase of partials in real time
Also they could always add new dynamic tables. Lol as for reason I mostly agree
But there are many little things that could use improvement for workflow purposes
Not to mention they could always add new creative effects :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

DonnieAlan
Posts: 235
Joined: 25 Jan 2017

Post 22 Dec 2018

I’ve said many times that I’d like to see virtual MIDI cables added on the back of the rack along with MIDI IN/OUT/THRU ports. Allow midi routing with virtual cables like we can now with audio. Allow virtual cable routing of any incoming midi controller data. Have dual midi outs for the players to send signals to more than one VI. Have MIDI splitter like Spyder. That alone would make 11 a wow!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antic604

Post 23 Dec 2018

DonnieAlan wrote:
22 Dec 2018
I’ve said many times that I’d like to see virtual MIDI cables added on the back of the rack along with MIDI IN/OUT/THRU ports. Allow midi routing with virtual cables like we can now with audio. Allow virtual cable routing of any incoming midi controller data. Have dual midi outs for the players to send signals to more than one VI. Have MIDI splitter like Spyder. That alone would make 11 a wow!
Yeah, I'd love them to get rid of that inconsistency. Sure, we already have workarounds like CV Player Tap and the likes, but they're just that - workarounds.

jlgrimes
Posts: 382
Joined: 06 Jun 2017

Post 23 Dec 2018

I'm guessing no earlier than Sept next year.

Probably 2020ish most likely.

two shoes
Posts: 250
Joined: 13 Jul 2018

Post 29 Dec 2018

Zac wrote:
17 Dec 2018
For me I ask what's missing that is needed?

With Europa and Grain, Reason now cuts the mustard ITB but I guess a new native sampler would be welcome by many.

Improved VST support - tick :thumbs_up:

Support for midi VSTs
VST3 support will be needed at some point
Support for hi res screens
this is exactly how i feel - with the one difference that for me midi vst support is the top priority followed by new super sampler then hi res quality of life udpate. also i want the sequencer updates you mentioned more than the browser ones.

m.arthur
Posts: 81
Joined: 21 Oct 2017

Post 29 Dec 2018

I'm just gonna chime in and say I agree with the sentiment expressed by many above, and I hope Props are listening to us -- a modern display / resolution is an absolute MUST for the next version, and it will be very difficult -- most likely impossible -- to take Props and their product seriously if they do not focus on this and make it happen.

It would be downright comical to see them hype a version 11 with some new instruments (yaaaawn, we got FOUR with 10, we got every VST out there available with 9.5, the last thing we need is more instruments!) or some new Players or functionality, meanwhile trying to sell an entire graphic display that was built for 2001.

So, if you're listening props, please make this priority #1, or I will not be upgrading.

AFTER that, my hopes are for:

1. a modern Sampler
2. improvements to Piano roll editing / sequencing workflow in general.

Personally I quite like the Browser as it is.
-M

chaosroyale
Posts: 272
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 30 Dec 2018

I think 2 things are pretty obvious by now:

1. Props have their own vision of how to progress, and will release things when they are done.

2. Most "Reason" users want a high-res GUI.

Everything else is up in the air.

Polls have shown that an upgraded combinator would be overwhelmingly appreciated, but everything else is very much dependent on the individual.

Some people think "player" devices are a good use of resources, whereas I can't see the point of them. On the other hand I thought Europa VST was a great idea, but some people thought that was a kind of blasphemy. Sound designers would love an upgraded sampler, preset users would probably be happy with a bunch of sound sets for Europa (I think since V10 they finally have more than enough near-identical EDM kick drums though). Maybe V11 will have a dedicated Rompler for twinkly bells circa-2016 soundcloud rap? Or maybe it will have Combinator 2 and we will all explode in our collective pants? The long and short of it is, new versions will come out when they come out, and they will feature whatever Props think is a good feature.

groggy1
Posts: 350
Joined: 10 Jun 2015

Post 30 Dec 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
30 Dec 2018
I think 2 things are pretty obvious by now:

1. Props have their own vision of how to progress, and will release things when they are done.

2. Most "Reason" users want a high-res GUI.

Everything else is up in the air.

Polls have shown that an upgraded combinator would be overwhelmingly appreciated, but everything else is very much dependent on the individual.

Some people think "player" devices are a good use of resources, whereas I can't see the point of them. On the other hand I thought Europa VST was a great idea, but some people thought that was a kind of blasphemy. Sound designers would love an upgraded sampler, preset users would probably be happy with a bunch of sound sets for Europa (I think since V10 they finally have more than enough near-identical EDM kick drums though). Maybe V11 will have a dedicated Rompler for twinkly bells circa-2016 soundcloud rap? Or maybe it will have Combinator 2 and we will all explode in our collective pants? The long and short of it is, new versions will come out when they come out, and they will feature whatever Props think is a good feature.

What's interesting about Combinator is that it's a competitive advantage Reason has over other DAWs. I.e. other DAWs don't have Combinator in quite the same way.

Sometimes the props are playing "catchup" (like with VST), and sometimes they're pushing Reason to new places that other DAWs don't reach (like Combinator). It's interesting to see which they focus on.

priior
Posts: 3
Joined: 04 Dec 2017

Post 26 May 2019

If I were propellerhead, i would really like to time my release to be before christmas. I'm guessing there's a dip in sales from Jan to Sep. (hence may madness to pick things back up?) so a september/October release makes sense.. you get a good surge, then as things calm down in November, Christmas pushes it back up... then May :D

(oh i would LOVE to see a nice sampler - mostly for going thru and manipulating parts of large vocal tracks and a more sequencer/workflow improvements!)

Ermitage
Posts: 57
Joined: 21 Apr 2018

Post 26 May 2019

groggy1 wrote:
30 Dec 2018

What's interesting about Combinator is that it's a competitive advantage Reason has over other DAWs. I.e. other DAWs don't have Combinator in quite the same way.

Sometimes the props are playing "catchup" (like with VST), and sometimes they're pushing Reason to new places that other DAWs don't reach (like Combinator). It's interesting to see which they focus on.
It's not any different than, say, the Instrument Layer container in Bitwig.

The key advantage is still that we have native devices where you can easily undo or automate parameters and not having to worry about host compatibility.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2037
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 03 Jun 2019

I wouldn't be surprised if they released R11 very soon. Right now they're having a sale on Reason and on the upgrade as well. If I remember correctly they did this the last time. Lowered the price just before the new release.
But who knows. We'll see.

stp2015
Posts: 233
Joined: 02 Feb 2016

Post 03 Jun 2019

I agree, update incoming soon-ish. And it is probably not going to be another "content release".

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 920
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 03 Jun 2019

I'm guessing not before November. Why, they had the DAW coders working on the buffer size fix, and it was recently released. They need more time to add some real value, that's my guess.
Still bug fixes to do from the 10.3/10.4 update, that will also take a little time. I'll put my chips on a 10.5 release first, but have no idea what new features will be included besides a handful of bug fixes. VST midi out would be nice.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

reggie1979
Posts: 1177
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 03 Jun 2019

June of next year. Why? Because I feel negative...........

Steedus
Posts: 251
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 04 Jun 2019

If whoever's behind the Props now isn't happy with the number of new users then we might see it this year, but otherwise I'd say April 2020.

stp2015
Posts: 233
Joined: 02 Feb 2016

Post 04 Jun 2019

The rack needs to be super cool again. It needs to be 4k compatible and look fantastic on Retina Macs. This could be a 10.5 update. A beautiful rack can inspire (me). ;)

two shoes
Posts: 250
Joined: 13 Jul 2018

Post 04 Jun 2019

DonnieAlan wrote:
22 Dec 2018
I’ve said many times that I’d like to see virtual MIDI cables added on the back of the rack along with MIDI IN/OUT/THRU ports. Allow midi routing with virtual cables like we can now with audio. Allow virtual cable routing of any incoming midi controller data. Have dual midi outs for the players to send signals to more than one VI. Have MIDI splitter like Spyder. That alone would make 11 a wow!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
several of props tutorial videos start out with some statement suggesting they get lots of *beginner* questions regarding cv and are under the impression that the majority of their users don't understand: what cv is, what cv is for, why cv is there, what the differences between cv and audio cabling are, etc etc. basically props attitude towards cv for the last several years is that it's a legacy feature that puts people off from trying or buying reason because they find it confusing and intimidating. they seem to think the vast majority of their customers are too stupid to make any intentional use of cv and any implementation of it going forward will probably be extremely minimal and straightforward (look at the cv connectivity on last few REs props have released compared to their older stuff). so i think it's unlikely they will let us have a third type of cabling because of all the dumb people who ask them dumb questions about cv - they'd probably remove cv itself from the rack at this point if they could get away with it.

2chris
Posts: 23
Joined: 15 Mar 2019

Post 04 Jun 2019

I would love to see a new version this year because of the new features it brings, but I doubt that it’s coming this year. I would pay $100 for solid features without hesitation. I think the team is doing awesome, and my wishes are simple for new features. I don’t need new instruments. Update the ui for modern displays, but also polish the ui in a way for better workflows. I feel like the rack gets junky and hard to follow, Live and Bitwig are way better in this regard. The mixer view just annoys me, and it’s gone untouched. They could get creative and have a second simplified mode for the mixer. The sequencer is simple and fine, and I’m not trying to complain, it just needs love. Chord recognition, chord suggestion, beats mode or drum map, change not length, enhanced vector images for audio, better track zoom, session mode or something similar (even MOTU realized stealing lives easy track building method makes sense), warp modes, etc. I’ve lost hope in Live and Reason overhauling their midi sequencers. I love both daws, but for certain tracks I’m contemplating skipping the next Reason and getting Cubase. I support great developers, and I’m happy to keep buying products, but I’m also willing to vote with my money if developers don’t want to prioritize what I want.

jlgrimes
Posts: 382
Joined: 06 Jun 2017

Post 04 Jun 2019

fieldframe wrote:
17 Dec 2018
Around the time of Reason 9.5, I put together a history of Reason’s release dates going back to Reason 3: viewtopic.php?p=320600#p320600

As we close out 2018, I thought this might be a good time to look at where we are in Reason 10’s lifecycle and to try to predict when we might expect 11 to come out.

As you may recall, Reason 10 was a surprisingly early release. Not only did it come on the heels of the landmark 9.5, but at 458 days after Reason 9, it was the earliest major version release since version 6, which came only 401 days after Reason 5.

So, where does that put us for Reason 11? While my old post has over a decade of data, the industry has changed since then and it’s likely more representative to limit ourselves to the three most recent versions.

Code: Select all

Version		Date		Days since
10		9/22/2017		458d
9		6/21/2016		630d
8		9/30/2014		518d
Averaging the past three versions of Reason, we could expect 11 to come out around 3/11/19. If 11 were to come out as quickly as 10 did, the date would still be in this year, 12/24/18 – not possible given the revised schedule for 10.3. Conversely, If we use the longest interval, the 630 days between Reason 8 and 9, the very latest we might expect to see Reason 11 is 6/14/19. Given the architectural changes involved in 10.3, later seems more likely for Reason 11, so I'd lean toward the later date rather than the earlier.

In any case, it’s probably safe to say “Q2 2019” for the next major version of Reason, with an emphasis on late Q2. Of course, there's no way to say for sure! The particulars of Reason 11's development might mean a release that is later still. But, based on the math, that's the most likely.
I dont think it is predictable.

Reason have had very large gaps like v2 to v3 or even v3 to v4.

They do tend to release much faster now though.

jlgrimes
Posts: 382
Joined: 06 Jun 2017

Post 04 Jun 2019

2chris wrote:
04 Jun 2019
I would love to see a new version this year because of the new features it brings, but I doubt that it’s coming this year. I would pay $100 for solid features without hesitation. I think the team is doing awesome, and my wishes are simple for new features. I don’t need new instruments. Update the ui for modern displays, but also polish the ui in a way for better workflows. I feel like the rack gets junky and hard to follow, Live and Bitwig are way better in this regard. The mixer view just annoys me, and it’s gone untouched. They could get creative and have a second simplified mode for the mixer. The sequencer is simple and fine, and I’m not trying to complain, it just needs love. Chord recognition, chord suggestion, beats mode or drum map, change not length, enhanced vector images for audio, better track zoom, session mode or something similar (even MOTU realized stealing lives easy track building method makes sense), warp modes, etc. I’ve lost hope in Live and Reason overhauling their midi sequencers. I love both daws, but for certain tracks I’m contemplating skipping the next Reason and getting Cubase. I support great developers, and I’m happy to keep buying products, but I’m also willing to vote with my money if developers don’t want to prioritize what I want.

IMO Live has made great strides with their sequencers.

It might not have the best piano roll but for things like drums, it seems to have a much faster flow than Reason.

Reason has a better loop recording system though.

Groove mode is similar for both but Ableton's seems a bit better as it is much easier to do eigth note swing, where Reasons is based of 16ths.

Both probably are lacking for doing things like chords but I probably would rarely use that anyways.

ECHLN
Posts: 5
Joined: 23 May 2019
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Post 05 Jun 2019

I think they'll be an announcement on the 1st of July with the release in August or September.
:reason: 10.4 on Huawei Matebook X
Spotify
Apple Music

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1335
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 05 Jun 2019

two shoes wrote:
04 Jun 2019
DonnieAlan wrote:
22 Dec 2018
I’ve said many times that I’d like to see virtual MIDI cables added on the back of the rack along with MIDI IN/OUT/THRU ports. Allow midi routing with virtual cables like we can now with audio. Allow virtual cable routing of any incoming midi controller data. Have dual midi outs for the players to send signals to more than one VI. Have MIDI splitter like Spyder. That alone would make 11 a wow!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
several of props tutorial videos start out with some statement suggesting they get lots of *beginner* questions regarding cv and are under the impression that the majority of their users don't understand: what cv is, what cv is for, why cv is there, what the differences between cv and audio cabling are, etc etc. basically props attitude towards cv for the last several years is that it's a legacy feature that puts people off from trying or buying reason because they find it confusing and intimidating. they seem to think the vast majority of their customers are too stupid to make any intentional use of cv and any implementation of it going forward will probably be extremely minimal and straightforward (look at the cv connectivity on last few REs props have released compared to their older stuff). so i think it's unlikely they will let us have a third type of cabling because of all the dumb people who ask them dumb questions about cv - they'd probably remove cv itself from the rack at this point if they could get away with it.
While the anti(ish) cv sentiment use to be a thing. I will counter point this with the fact that modular and semi modular setups are what’s popular as of the past few years. Lots of hardware synths have been joining in the fun as well :) korg minilogueXD, microbrure2, and many others

Complex-1 is a front panel cv monster and that was well received by all.
I think that even a lot of newer users are more likely to understand cv nowadays because of hardware and software. Ableton is coming out with a CV toolkit update, bitwig just released a modular box of tools, FL even has its own version of CV (in a small sense)

The climate of the music world is getting more interesting as time goes on :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1580
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 05 Jun 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
04 Jun 2019
Groove mode is similar for both but Ableton's seems a bit better as it is much easier to do eigth note swing, where Reasons is based of 16ths.
Just FYI, Marco Raaphorst created such Regroove patterns, you can download them for free here:
https://melodiefabriek.com/free-downloads/
(first entry at the very top)
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 709
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 05 Jun 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
04 Jun 2019
fieldframe wrote:
17 Dec 2018
Around the time of Reason 9.5, I put together a history of Reason’s release dates going back to Reason 3: viewtopic.php?p=320600#p320600

As we close out 2018, I thought this might be a good time to look at where we are in Reason 10’s lifecycle and to try to predict when we might expect 11 to come out.

As you may recall, Reason 10 was a surprisingly early release. Not only did it come on the heels of the landmark 9.5, but at 458 days after Reason 9, it was the earliest major version release since version 6, which came only 401 days after Reason 5.

So, where does that put us for Reason 11? While my old post has over a decade of data, the industry has changed since then and it’s likely more representative to limit ourselves to the three most recent versions.

Code: Select all

Version		Date		Days since
10		9/22/2017		458d
9		6/21/2016		630d
8		9/30/2014		518d
Averaging the past three versions of Reason, we could expect 11 to come out around 3/11/19. If 11 were to come out as quickly as 10 did, the date would still be in this year, 12/24/18 – not possible given the revised schedule for 10.3. Conversely, If we use the longest interval, the 630 days between Reason 8 and 9, the very latest we might expect to see Reason 11 is 6/14/19. Given the architectural changes involved in 10.3, later seems more likely for Reason 11, so I'd lean toward the later date rather than the earlier.

In any case, it’s probably safe to say “Q2 2019” for the next major version of Reason, with an emphasis on late Q2. Of course, there's no way to say for sure! The particulars of Reason 11's development might mean a release that is later still. But, based on the math, that's the most likely.
I dont think it is predictable.

Reason have had very large gaps like v2 to v3 or even v3 to v4.

They do tend to release much faster now though.
I didn't include old versions like Reason 3 or Reason 4 because, in my view, the music technology industry has changed since then, as has Reason's position in the market. DAW vendors have to keep a shorter release cadence these days to stay competitive.

Propellerhead wasn't even a DAW vendor back in 2005, rather a softsynth vendor, but those are often moving toward even shorter cycles. Arturia, for instance, has released two major versions of the V Collection (6 and 7) in the time Reason 10 has been out.

Reason 11 could buck the trend and spend an unusually long time in development. The odds are against it, however.
Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], eusti, Trendiction [Bot] and 16 guests