Question about setting up MIDI with a Korg Volca Sample

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ionly

15 Dec 2018

Hi guys,
hope you're all keeping well.

I have a query about connecting a Volca Sample via MIDI: having 10 fixed channels, do I need 10 External MIDI Instruments (EMI) in the Rack, with each assigned 1-10 respectively, or is there a workaround?

Thanks

chimp_spanner

15 Dec 2018

Yeah that’s how I’ve done it. It takes a while to set it up initially but just save it as a combi and you’re good to go! If and when reason eventually supports multiple midi channels that would of course be the ideal scenario.

ionly

15 Dec 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
15 Dec 2018
Yeah that’s how I’ve done it. It takes a while to set it up initially but just save it as a combi and you’re good to go! If and when reason eventually supports multiple midi channels that would of course be the ideal scenario.
Thanks for your reply mate. Y, multiple channel support would be great, but a combi sounds cool in the meantime!
I have a Kick on channel 11, FM on 12 and Keys on 13.

Have you mapped a controller to the Sample for any automation? I'm just setting up my Impact LX25+ for the job. Although, I might initially record some MIDI notes into Reason and then record control movements from the Volca onto a stereo track (if that makes sense). I'm still exploring a workflow with them as they've been gathering dust too long. Loving the hands-on approach so far, and nice to have parameter knobs with labels (as opposed to remembering what is mapped to what)

• Information