Fair comparison: volume match

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
moggadeet

12 Dec 2018

Hello everyone,

being around for a while I started already to realize that most plugin sellers or videos on production techniques "forget" to adjust for loudness before and after the processing they sell or try to explain.

Now, for me the process of level matching signals is a flow stopper. For instance, take the softube saturation knob. For me it is:

1. Increase saturation
2. Inserts bypass -> volume is now lower, I cannot compare well
3. Decrease volume of a selig gain after the saturation
4. Enable inserts -> same volume (if I did it right)
5. Bypass -> original sound
6. Disable bypass -> distorted sound at same volume

Is there anther way to pack the softube saturation knob (for this example) in a combinator with other logic around, so that I can turn one knob involving only the saturation and having the level automatically matched?

Best regards

selig
RE Developer

12 Dec 2018

I’ve tried this, and we’re missing one device to make it possible (and it’s on my long “to-do” list).

First, the problem is the relationship is non-linear, meaning you cannot simply map an inverse volume control (I’ve tried several times). Second, the volume is partly subjective, so you’d have to map it to your own personal perception of “loudness” (not a big deal, probably not THAT different from other listeners).

The solution comes from a module in the old Matrix series of synths from Oberheim: the Tracking Generator. AKA, custom transfer function. This device allows you to create a unique relationship between the input and output that is NOT linear. Basically, a curve transfer function so that while one control moves linearly (saturation), the other (gain) deviates in a way that keeps the results as “even” sounding as possible.

The process to create the desired curve would be to adjust the “master” control gradually, which raises the Saturation and lowers the Volume/Gain. As you adjust it, pick a few “key frames” where the desired relationship deviates from linear. At least 4-5 points would be required to create a proper relationship, with interpolation (or curves) between the points filing in the gaps.

I’ve used this technique internally in the ColoringEQ to allow adding Drive while maintaining a relative perceived loudness. During testing, not all testers were hearing things the same, so I compromised and found middle ground. This is why I say you’d have to tweak the curve to make it work for you.

At present, and surprisingly (since I’ve been talking about it on forums for over ten years) no one has seen the need for such a CV device. I originally suggested it as a part of a Combinator II to allow these sort of non-linear relationships to be defined at the source rather than needing external devices to achieve them.

So sadly, there is no current device I’m aware of that does this, though again it’s on MY to-do list - maybe someone else will beat me to it (happy to consult for free if so!). We shall see…

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2018

CV Mutant does this in Big Knob mode, no?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

selig
RE Developer

12 Dec 2018

Boombastix wrote:CV Mutant does this in Big Knob mode, no?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Oh wow, not the primary function but certainly should be possible to do exactly what I described! I’ll check it out (had totally forgotten about this device - thanks for the heads up!).

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information