Assigned Self-contained Samples being lost.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Boombastix
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2018

Has anyone else experienced the following issue (Reason 10.2d93 and Windows 10)?
Please let me know as will report this as a bug in the next days:

A song having one Rex sample in Dr Octorex and three samples in NN-XT.
All samples were made from Audio Tracks in the sequencer using the “Bounce Clip…” feature, and then dropped into Dr Octorex or NN-XT.
None of the samples were dropped directly into Dr Octorex/NN-XT from existing hard drive libraries and none of the samples were saved by me to hard drive. All four samples were left as “Self-Contained” for Reason to manage.

1. The song had several instruments (original Reason, REs, VSTs), Combinators with Effects and Players, Mix Channels and Audio Tracks. Pretty much all types of units were in use.

2. The song was left open in Reason for over a week and several new patches were made in various synths using Combinators with players, etc, and once the many new patches had been made those synths or Combinators were all deleted, but the original song setup in #1 was left intact.

3. So, when trying to play the song after a week or so, the NN-XT samples had disappeared and it looked like someone had deleted the samples in the Reason browser, but the NN-XT had the zones etc intact, just the samples were gone. The NN-XT did not make any sound.

4. In the Dr Octorex the Rex loop was still there and it played just like before, but when clicking on the Rex sample in the Browser “Song Samples” it said it was missing, but like I said, it did play back a sound when I played the song. I could delete the Rex sample in the Reason browser and get it back from the "Undo" function. It still played a sound after "Delete/Undo".

5. I had a bounced clip on an Audio Track in the sequencer, it was never affected in any way.

6. I tried to save the song, but it did not allow me to save the song as it was missing samples and I got error when I tried to Uncheck the Rex sample (and click "OK") in the "Song Self-Contain Settings" window. So, I had to delete the Rex sample so I could save the song. I saved the song under a new name.

7. I opened the original song I had saved a over week ago, i.e. before I started making all those new patches etc. The song opened fine and all the samples showed up and played as expected, no errors. So somehow it seems Reason can loose the reference to self contained samples under some conditions.

Sounds like a bug to me - thoughts? :roll:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

13 Dec 2018

So, am I the only one who does this and experienced this issue, anyone?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

kooshan

13 Dec 2018

I remeber long time ago when using Reason 5 and Record , there were cases when my external hard drive was in standby mode , reason lost the refrence to samples in that drive and i was unable to save the song ., but as you said your situation is different .
What i did was to copy everything in that song and paste it in an emty project .

Loque

13 Dec 2018

Weird problem. AFAIR the computer was in stand by and lots of applications don't like this. They lose their state, data or just crash. The problem could be everywhere, in VST, drivers, devices... That's why i never set a computer to sleep before saving important data.
Reason12, Win10

Sol41

08 May 2021

I now have the same problem, randomly losing all self-contained samples. Not device specific - samples in Kong's NN Nano, Grain, even straight up audio tracks. Did you ever manage to solve it? When it happens it affects all self-contained samples in a project.

Seriously annoying.
Reason 11.3d.36 and Windows 10

• Information