Reason's (not so?) "kludgy" code

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
OldSchoolSkunk

14 Dec 2018

I remember Players being introduced in Reason 9 and there were no 3rd party Players introduced RE's then..at that time. yes..? no?

botnotbot

14 Dec 2018

OldSchoolSkunk wrote:
14 Dec 2018
I remember Players being introduced in Reason 9 and there were no 3rd party Players introduced RE's then..at that time. yes..? no?
Thank you, yes, this was the point I was making.

I'm not claiming that this was nefarious in any way, just that obviously they are dogfooding their own SDK features ahead of their release (another seemingly uncontroversial claim from a programmer's perspective...)

EnochLight

14 Dec 2018

OldSchoolSkunk wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Right, I'm sorry - I was incorrect. Prop's own Players launched with 9. The RE SDK was updated to 3.0 to allow 3rd party Players with version 10.1. But while botnotbot may think it's controversial to dogfood their own features ahead of 3rd parties (sorry if I got that wrong, botnotbot), this is the first time in the entire RE SDK history that an entirely new class of devices were introduced with 3.0.

With every other feature addition (custom displays/IDT in 2.0; sampling/switchable panels, widgets and tabs in 2.5), we saw 3rd party RE's launch around the same time as Prop's own.

Were the Players being added later an anomaly? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

two shoes

14 Dec 2018

synthetechsound wrote:
12 Dec 2018
Having used the RE SDK I can say with some level of certainty that the sdk was the most organised sdk I have ever used in 20 years of development.
You made Spectra right? That's a great synth with unusually good documentation! This guy fucks ^^^

antic604

14 Dec 2018

two shoes wrote:
14 Dec 2018
synthetechsound wrote:
12 Dec 2018
Having used the RE SDK I can say with some level of certainty that the sdk was the most organised sdk I have ever used in 20 years of development.
You made Spectra right? That's a great synth with unusually good documentation! This guy fucks ^^^
You meant "rules", surely? ;)

And yes, Spectra is awesome :thumbs_up:

EnochLight

14 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
14 Dec 2018
two shoes wrote:
14 Dec 2018

Nope - it was a (awesome) "Silicon Valley" reference (NSFW):

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

14 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2018
OldSchoolSkunk wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Right, I'm sorry - I was incorrect. Prop's own Players launched with 9. The RE SDK was updated to 3.0 to allow 3rd party Players with version 10.1. But while botnotbot may think it's controversial to dogfood their own features ahead of 3rd parties (sorry if I got that wrong, botnotbot), this is the first time in the entire RE SDK history that an entirely new class of devices were introduced with 3.0.

With every other feature addition (custom displays/IDT in 2.0; sampling/switchable panels, widgets and tabs in 2.5), we saw 3rd party RE's launch around the same time as Prop's own.

They did EXACTLY the same thing with REs, no?
Selig Audio, LLC

Emian

14 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
14 Dec 2018
EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2018

They did EXACTLY the same thing with REs, no?
Yep, Echo, Pulverizer & Alligator :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

EnochLight

14 Dec 2018

Emian wrote:
14 Dec 2018
This would be more of anomaly, no? Those 3 devices were more "proto-RE's" - testing the in-development RE SDK. Even their patch format differs from actual devices made with the current SDK (such as Europa and Grain, which are all *.repatch).

selig
RE Developer

14 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Emian wrote:
14 Dec 2018
This would be more of anomaly, no? Those 3 devices were more "proto-RE's" - testing the in-development RE SDK. Even their patch format differs from actual devices made with the current SDK (such as Europa and Grain, which are all *.repatch).
So you're saying the only difference is the patch format? If true, could it be they were still working that part out when these were released? Who can say that the initial Players were not also "Proto-Players", testing the in development Player SDK?

My point being, this is how they work at the beginning, not how they "compete" with other devs once the devs are participating in the process.

As an RE developer myself from just about the beginning, I can say I've never felt taken advantage of in this way…
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

14 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
14 Dec 2018
So you're saying the only difference is the patch format?
No, I was merely stating that the patch format difference was simply one indicator that they were proto-RE's (and made at an early RE-SDK development stage).
selig wrote:
14 Dec 2018
My point being, this is how they work at the beginning, not how they "compete" with other devs once the devs are participating in the process.

As an RE developer myself from just about the beginning, I can say I've never felt taken advantage of in this way…
This is the important takeaway! Though I don't know how many other devs feel the same.

botnotbot

14 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
14 Dec 2018

I never meant to imply this, so apologies if any earlier comments came across this way.

Another important dynamic from a strategy perspective: The ability to make "proto" versions with features that become available in later SDK releases allows them to add new functionality in earlier versions than the SDK (9 for Props' players, 10.1 for third parties).

EDIT: This is not them putting themselves into a superior position against the third parties, this is them testing their technologies and making them robust and also ensuring that their user base gets their functionality spread out across updates. But like everything people can read it as malicious intent on Props part. To be absolutely crystal clear: I don't. In fact, I consider it excellent practice and it increases my trust in the company.

Sorped

14 Dec 2018

Respect to OP for taking on board the news from Props. If only everyone in today's world had the decency... (I'm not referring to any specific users here, just the world in general) :)

And props to Props (sorry) for communicating this to us, I understand it's not possible to divulge any and all info, but still, this is a good customer relations excercise :thumbs_up:
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

synthetechsound
RE Developer

16 Dec 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Dec 2018
antic604 wrote:
14 Dec 2018

Nope - it was a (awesome) "Silicon Valley" reference (NSFW):

Thanks for the kind words about spectra.

• Information