Looking for someone to record spoken word in 1950s midatlantic accent

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mashers

11 Dec 2018

Hi all,

I want to include some spoken word in a track, and I want it in that classic 1950s American transatlantic movie accent. If you're not sure what I mean, here's a video explaining it:

I'm English, and while I could probably fake it, I don't think I could do the accent very convincingly, and I don't really have the right resonance for it.

The passage I want is a short piece about the evolution of the human brain. I want it to sound like an old documentary or infomercial type thing. There's also a one-bar phrase which needs to be spoken in a particular rhythm. If you have the voice and can speak with this accent, and would like to collaborate on this, please get in touch. I can't pay you and the track will probably only be heard by a handful of people, but will give credit and link to your profiles.

If you're interested please DM me or reply to this thread and we could perhaps chat on Skype/Facetime/Discord/whatever and figure something out. Thanks in advance!

mashers

11 Dec 2018

Oh, another great example of this that springs to mind is at the beginning of the song "Yes It's F**king Political" by Skunk Anansie - the guy at the beginning who says, "tonight, we discuss the phenomenon of hooliganism".

Wobbleburger

11 Dec 2018

Try checking www.fiverr.com
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

mashers

11 Dec 2018

Good shout. I'd never looked at that site before, but they do indeed advertise gig voiceover work, and the fees are very reasonable. Thanks!

dhruan

11 Dec 2018

What do you want recorded (maybe offer a passage with hints on tone)? Might like to give it a stab just for my personal entertainment (if nothing else).
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

WongoTheSane

11 Dec 2018

Don't we all want that kind of spoken word! One trick I've found is rip voices from old copyright-free movies. Those have fallen in the public domain for various reasons (lack of renewal, flawed copyright notice, etc). It's a bit time consuming because you have to find sentences without background music, or background noise, and then they're not always sentences that fit your purpose, so in the end you pretty much have to watch the whole movie, but sometimes you can find some gems. Here is an explanation of how/why those movies have fallen in the public domain, how you can use them, and a list of said movies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ted_States

You can then search for the files themselves by typing the movie name in Google. I got a few nice Vincent Price sentences this way.

mashers

11 Dec 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
11 Dec 2018
Don't we all want that kind of spoken word! One trick I've found is rip voices from old copyright-free movies. Those have fallen in the public domain for various reasons (lack of renewal, flawed copyright notice, etc). It's a bit time consuming because you have to find sentences without background music, or background noise, and then they're not always sentences that fit your purpose, so in the end you pretty much have to watch the whole movie, but sometimes you can find some gems. Here is an explanation of how/why those movies have fallen in the public domain, how you can use them, and a list of said movies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... ted_States

You can then search for the files themselves by typing the movie name in Google. I got a few nice Vincent Price sentences this way.
Thanks! I'll check that list out. There is a specific topic I want as this is a song with lyrics, and the narration needs to fit with the concept of the song. I will check that out though, as perhaps there's something there I can plunder.

ejanuska

12 Dec 2018

Just fake it and put a high pass filter on it.
It helps if you drink a bottle of scotch and a pot of coffee while smoking unfiltered cigs.

mashers

12 Dec 2018

ejanuska wrote:
12 Dec 2018
It helps if you drink a bottle of scotch and a pot of coffee while smoking unfiltered cigs.
I’m not American and although I can do a decent accent, it wouldn’t sound as good. Also, I use my voice in the track and it would be obvious it was me. I want it to sound sound authentic.

I advertised on Fiverr and am now discussing it with someone, so I’ll report back :)

brand

13 Dec 2018

mashers wrote:
12 Dec 2018
ejanuska wrote:
12 Dec 2018
I’m not American and although I can do a decent accent, it wouldn’t sound as good. Also, I use my voice in the track and it would be obvious it was me. I want it to sound sound authentic.

I advertised on Fiverr and am now discussing it with someone, so I’ll report back :)
I agree: I have seen some British actors on shows doing an American accent. And some are really good at it. But a lot of times I can tell. Like in the below Blandings episode (at 19:50 for example, or take my advice and watch the whole episode, because it's hilarious), Veronica's husband Jimmy, (Nick Hardin) -- I'm pretty sure he's British, but there's something about his American accent. Don't get me wrong- It's very good, but still... I think it's not that easy.

Lempface

14 Dec 2018

mashers wrote:
12 Dec 2018
ejanuska wrote:
12 Dec 2018

This is pretty interesting!! Please report back and hopefully let us hear it when you get it.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

bitley

14 Dec 2018

Yeah! Cool thread! :)

juniper

15 Dec 2018

Hey!

I registered just to post in this thread.

I could do this for you for free.

If you like it you can use it, if not no loss for you.

pushedbutton

15 Dec 2018

@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

rgdaniel

15 Dec 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
15 Dec 2018
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mashers

19 Dec 2018

The track is done! I'm really happy with it. See this thread for details :)

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7510233

• Information