Record scratching effect

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mashers

10 Dec 2018

I'm trying to accomplish a record scratching effect - not the crackling vinyl sound, but like a DJ scratching. I've tried a Rack Extension ("SB Vinylizer") but it didn't work very well. It didn't seem to tempo sync correctly so I couldn't get the speed up and slow down to function predictably, and I couldn't work out how to scratch back and forth (though the brief instructions on the RE page mention that this should be possible). I also tried using Neptune to pitch bend the audio, but it didn't work very well since it seemed to snap to semitones and also created a weird effect as though the sample rate was being changed or something.

So does anyone have any hints of how I can accomplish this effect?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2018

Turn2On Ecruos and mess with the time button. :):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

mashers

10 Dec 2018

MrFigg wrote:
10 Dec 2018
Turn2On Ecruos and mess with the time button. :):):)
Hmm, interesting. I've just installed it as a trial and messing with the time rotary while it's playing does indeed cause time stretching effects. I'll need to play with it to see if it's gonna work. I was trying with a scratching VST in which the effect was perfect, but I couldn't get automation of the scratch parameter to work properly.

mashers

10 Dec 2018

Unless I'm missing something, I can't get Ecruos to respond quickly or precisely enough to get a decent scratching effect. I'm going to go hunting for another VST and see if I can get it working that way.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2018

mashers wrote:
10 Dec 2018
Unless I'm missing something, I can't get Ecruos to respond quickly or precisely enough to get a decent scratching effect. I'm going to go hunting for another VST and see if I can get it working that way.
Aaa. Ok. Was just a thought. Good luck.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdGrip

10 Dec 2018

You can achieve this with CableGuys' TimeShaper plugin. You can use one instance of it for free, though you can't save settings. Fine to scratch a part and then bounce.
I'm still convinced there's a market for a simple mod-wheel based scratch buffer effect, and I've gone on about it in other threads.

Another approach is to get a turntablist sample pack and graft those scratch samples in to your samples.

Watching some YouTube tutorials on scratching and turntablism will help you make either approach sound authentic.

rcbuse
RE Developer

10 Dec 2018

You could give Torsion a try
Here is a video showing its 'scraching' of a sample

Its the deal of the week as well!

EdGrip

10 Dec 2018

If you wanna do lots of it and get good at it, just buy a used CDJ-type DJ controller.

GRB

10 Dec 2018

Try Cableguys TimeShaper, IMO its amazing! You can use presets or create your own scratches on a nice GUI, I've found it looking for a Grossbeat replacement and this is way better!

I'm using it to mimic sidechain, chop vocals and made stutter effects in the background, can't stop playing with this for hours :)
It also works on up to 3 frequency bands and you can apply different shapes to each one (great for stutter mid freqs and ignoring low end).

Its $ 44 now and you get another plugin that halves the time (you can do that already with TimeShaper) In fact if you try the whole ShaperBox bundle you'll find more useful shapers. I'm trialing now but I'm about to get that at $99.

I dont know if they're going on Xmas sale next 18 as they did last year (saw that googling) however the price is already reduced from $170, see in this video if the scratch part is what you are looking for.

R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

mashers

10 Dec 2018

Thank you guys! I'll give those a try now! :)

mashers

11 Dec 2018

Thanks again for the recommendations guys. I gave Timeshaper a go and it was perfect. I got exactly the effect I wanted. While a RE would be preferable to a VST, Timeshaper clinched it on the simplicity of the interface and the price. Thanks so much again! You'll be hearing the effect of this once this track is done ;)

mashers

11 Dec 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Dec 2018
This RE might help, on sale for $9. https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... -dj-mixer/
Hm, interesting. I somehow missed that while searching. I haven't yet bought the full version of the TimeShaper VST so I'll give this a look too. It's certainly more affordable and if it does then job in RE form for £8 then it's a winner!

mashers

11 Dec 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Dec 2018
This RE might help, on sale for $9. https://shop.propellerheads.com/rack-ex ... -dj-mixer/
Could anyone help me figure out how to get a scratch effect with this device? It's shown in the demonstration video, but it's not discussed in the manual other than saying it's related to the crossfade curve parameter. I've played with this setting while the track is playing but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Dec 2018

mashers wrote:
11 Dec 2018
MannequinRaces wrote:
11 Dec 2018
Could anyone help me figure out how to get a scratch effect with this device? It's shown in the demonstration video, but it's not discussed in the manual other than saying it's related to the crossfade curve parameter. I've played with this setting while the track is playing but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
it doesn't

mashers

11 Dec 2018

aeox wrote:
11 Dec 2018
it doesn't
What do you mean?

EdGrip

11 Dec 2018

It doesn't produce a scratch effect
at all.

Cutting in and out using a crossfader is part of the art of scratching, so in that sense it could be useful, but it's probably a bit of a red herring here. If you want to use a physical fader on your controller to cut with while TimeShaper does its thing, you can use stock devices and a combinator to tweak the fader's response.

Another part of the puzzle is bass - if you were scratching for real, you'd probably EQ the bass out to minimise the rumble caused by touching the record. Try cutting the bass with a simple High-Pass filter (like the one on the SSL mix channel) and see if that adds to the authenticity.

mashers

11 Dec 2018

EdGrip wrote:
11 Dec 2018
It doesn't produce a scratch effect
at all.
Oh, I see :lol: Perhaps they were using it in conjunction with something else to achieve the overall effect.
EdGrip wrote:
11 Dec 2018
Cutting in and out using a crossfader is part of the art of scratching, so in that sense it could be useful, but it's probably a bit of a red herring here. If you want to use a physical fader on your controller to cut with while TimeShaper does its thing, you can use stock devices and a combinator to tweak the fader's response.

Another part of the puzzle is bass - if you were scratching for real, you'd probably EQ the bass out to minimise the rumble caused by touching the record. Try cutting the bass with a simple High-Pass filter (like the one on the SSL mix channel) and see if that adds to the authenticity.
I've already put it through a high-pass filter and a distortion to give it a tinny, radio-like sound. To be honest TimeShaper is amazing and it sounds perfect. I'll post up a sample in a minute.

mashers

11 Dec 2018

Here's a quick sample of TimeShaper doing its thing. It's a really short part, and the scratching comes in at about 10s. It's really brief, but it gave the desired effect. I now plan to use this all over this track :D

https://soundcloud.com/mark-james-11995 ... st/s-qh1Uu

GRB

11 Dec 2018

mashers wrote:
11 Dec 2018
Here's a quick sample of TimeShaper doing its thing. It's a really short part, and the scratching comes in at about 10s. It's really brief, but it gave the desired effect. I now plan to use this all over this track :D

https://soundcloud.com/mark-james-11995 ... st/s-qh1Uu
Good to hear that @mashers ! Once you start "shaping" its hard to stop it!

While on trial period you can only load one instance at the same time and it doesn't save the "shape" you create, so while trialing I'm taking pictures of the shape, then when I load again Reason I can re-make the shape. I think I can draw it from memory by now ;)

I've asked CableGuys of couple of times if they're going to do a christmas sale, no answer yet. So I'll wait one week from now and if the price hasn't changed I'll buy the whole ShaperBox at $99, IMO thats a great price for a useful VST you probably will like to use in any track you make.
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

mashers

11 Dec 2018

GRB wrote:
11 Dec 2018
While on trial period you can only load one instance at the same time and it doesn't save the "shape" you create, so while trialing I'm taking pictures of the shape, then when I load again Reason I can re-make the shape.
That's exactly what I did when I moved the project from my laptop to my desktop this morning :lol: For now I only need the one shape, and I'll just leave the project open for now.
GRB wrote:
11 Dec 2018
I've asked CableGuys of couple of times if they're going to do a christmas sale, no answer yet. So I'll wait one week from now and if the price hasn't changed I'll buy the whole ShaperBox at $99, IMO thats a great price for a useful VST you probably will like to use in any track you make.
If you hear back from them about a sale, let me know ;) If not, I'll probably buy after Christmas. This track will be done by then, but I'll definitely be buying for future projects!

GRB

14 Dec 2018

mashers wrote:
11 Dec 2018
GRB wrote:
11 Dec 2018
While on trial period you can only load one instance at the same time and it doesn't save the "shape" you create, so while trialing I'm taking pictures of the shape, then when I load again Reason I can re-make the shape.
That's exactly what I did when I moved the project from my laptop to my desktop this morning :lol: For now I only need the one shape, and I'll just leave the project open for now.
GRB wrote:
11 Dec 2018
If you hear back from them about a sale, let me know ;) If not, I'll probably buy after Christmas. This track will be done by then, but I'll definitely be buying for future projects!
Hi @mashers, ShaperBox bundle its on sale right now until december 27! I just bought it at $75 ;)

mashers

14 Dec 2018

GRB wrote:
14 Dec 2018
Hi @mashers, ShaperBox bundle its on sale right now until december 27! I just bought it at $75 ;)
Thanks man! That’s awesome :)

Skimrok

14 Dec 2018

here you go this was me back in the early 90s i know scratching :) this was my set up in my bedroom, 3 deck set up

Those was days he!he!
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Skimrok

14 Dec 2018

Just thinking might be worth a try is using something like virtual Dj and use the virtual deck to try and do a scratch effect? It might sound a bit digital but it may work if it’s nothing crazy or intense it don’t cost anything last time I looked for private dj use
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

• Information