Can I tell Reason to ignore the pitch bend wheel?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mashers

07 Dec 2018

Hi all,

My 88-key controller keyboard seems to have developed a fault with the pitch bend wheel, where it will frequently pitch bend up about half a semitone. If I move the pitch bend wheel and allow it to re-seat itself to the centre then the pitch returns to normal, but a few seconds later it does it again.

I can't afford to replace it, so I'm wondering if I can configure Reason to ignore pitch bend wheel events. I've got my Remote 25 and my Microbrute which I can use if I need pitch bend, so just disabling it for now would solve my immediate problem.

TIA!

Loque

07 Dec 2018

Maybe via Windows->Remote control menu where you can set global controllers and set it to somthing that you dont use.

Maybe its just a bit dusty and you need to roll it a few times.
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

07 Dec 2018

I believe you can just delete the pitch bend line from the remotemap.

Create a copy and rename the new one, so you have a backup and you can differentiate the new one.

mashers

07 Dec 2018

Loque wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Maybe via Windows->Remote control menu where you can set global controllers and set it to somthing that you dont use.
Good idea. Currently there isn't anything else there to set it to, but I could just plug in my Novation and set it to that. Thanks!
Loque wrote:
07 Dec 2018
I did try that, but it might be that there's something more stubborn in there. At some point I might try taking the casing off the keyboard and flush the pitch bend wheel with WD40. If I'm feeling brave enough, that is.
joeyluck wrote:
07 Dec 2018

Create a copy and rename the new one, so you have a backup and you can differentiate the new one.
Weirdly, I don't have any remotemap files on my Mac. I'm looking in HD:Users/me/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote and the folder is empty. Have they been moved? Deleting the entry from the map would be preferable as it would mean not having to connect another controller to assign the wheel to.

Noplan
Competition Winner

07 Dec 2018

Yes.
ignore.jpg
ignore.jpg (33.34 KiB) Viewed 2225 times

mashers

07 Dec 2018

Noplan wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Yes.
ignore.jpg
It might actually come to that :lol:

NekujaK

07 Dec 2018

I'm sure you've already thought of it, but is there an internal keyboard menu that can be used to switch off the pitch wheel messages?
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

mashers

07 Dec 2018

NekujaK wrote:
07 Dec 2018
I'm sure you've already thought of it, but is there an internal keyboard menu that can be used to switch off the pitch wheel messages?
No, it's a very basic controller. It doesn't have any menus at all.

joeyluck

07 Dec 2018

mashers wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Loque wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Good idea. Currently there isn't anything else there to set it to, but I could just plug in my Novation and set it to that. Thanks!
Loque wrote:
07 Dec 2018
I did try that, but it might be that there's something more stubborn in there. At some point I might try taking the casing off the keyboard and flush the pitch bend wheel with WD40. If I'm feeling brave enough, that is.
joeyluck wrote:
07 Dec 2018

Weirdly, I don't have any remotemap files on my Mac. I'm looking in HD:Users/me/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote and the folder is empty. Have they been moved? Deleting the entry from the map would be preferable as it would mean not having to connect another controller to assign the wheel to.
Try here (not under users):

HD:Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote/Maps

Open with TextEdit. Edit this line by assigning something else or just remove it:

Code: Select all

Map	        Pitch Bend Wheel		Pitch Bend

Catblack

07 Dec 2018

I think disabling the line in the remotemap is the way to go, too. Reason doesn't care if the Lua Codec has items defined that aren't in the remotemap. You could filter the pitchbend messages in the codec -- I wrote a slug of code that changes polyphonic aftertouch to channel aftertouch, but then you'd have to have code checking every midi message and blocking the pitch bend. Best just to have it get ignored by not being in the remotemap.

Though if you throw your instruments into a combi, you can have the combi ignore the pitchbend in the programmer. But you'd still get Reason recording it when you play the combi.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

aeox
Competition Winner

07 Dec 2018

Noplan wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Yes.
ignore.jpg
Duct tape fixes everything :lol:

moneykube

08 Dec 2018

aeox wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Noplan wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Yes.
ignore.jpg
Duct tape fixes everything :lol:
and gorilla glue if that fails... perhaps the 2 together... :lightbulb: copyright :lightbulb:
Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 11.07.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 11.07.39 PM.png (222.52 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

MarkTarlton

08 Dec 2018

not sure if this will help but you can place your instrument in a combinator and disable the performance controllers(pitch/mod)

Yonatan

08 Dec 2018

I have simular dilemma with my old miditech keyboard. It automatically gets out of tune when playing inside of Reason and when recording, it crreates an automation of slight pitchwheel offset. So, I have to uncheck the automation-button in the sequencer track (by default it is marked red), and that seem to do the trick. Strange thing is that the midi-keyboard seems to then be ok to play. So maybe it is not only on the midikey itself, but also some bug inside of Reason making this issue come up, and that it only affects some older keyboards? I will have to try to see if there is the same issue in Logic (have not used it with this one).

Midikeyboatd is not connected directly to the USB at first instance, but into a midi-port of Zoom U-44 audio interface, which then goes USB 2 into MacBook. So will also try another midikeyboard also connected to midi-port to see if that is the issue in the communication with Reason.

Will try putting the combinator trick too.

mashers

08 Dec 2018

joeyluck wrote:
07 Dec 2018
Try here (not under users):

HD:Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Remote/Maps

Open with TextEdit. Edit this line by assigning something else or just remove it:

Code: Select all

Map	        Pitch Bend Wheel		Pitch Bend
Now why didn't I think to look in the root Library :P Got it, thanks! The file is there on my desktop, and I'll check when I'm back in the studio on my laptop. Thanks!

• Information