What's the best sample format NN-XT can use?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kingmoot

07 Dec 2018

This sounds like a silly question but when you go to save an audio file in Audacity, there's a vast range of formats. I keep finding that certain formats saved out of audacity (especially AIFF) invariably seem to fail to load in Reason. I obviously want to use the highest quality format I can, so, can any advise, using Audacity, what is the best (uncompressed) format I can save as, that Reason will recognise?

For example, if I select the "Other Uncompressed Formats" option, then WAV, I then get 11 x further options:

Which of these guarantees the best format that is compatible with Reason?

ScuzzyEye

07 Dec 2018

My guess as to why some of your exported samples can't be loaded is they are in Broadcast Wave Format (BWF). Reason should be able to load every, standard, lossless .wav file, but it doesn't know what to do with extended BWF markers. Basically, BWF files don't contain silence. Instead they include a mark that says "there should be 5 seconds of silence here". So make sure that BWF is not enabled on export.

As for the best format. Both 24-bit signed, and 32-bit floating point have the same signal-to-noise ratio. If you don't have any values over -0 dBfs, i.e. you've normalized the samples, then 24-bit will be smaller on disk. All audio inside of Reason gets promoted to 32-bit floating point, so if you want the on-disk to match the in-memory, then use 32-bit floating point. But I'd just save the disk space, and go with the 24-bit, unless you're doing something weird with really hot samples.

Oquasec

07 Dec 2018

Reason 5 :24 bitdepth
Reason 6+ you can import 32 bitdepth.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information