Is this normal behavior?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MusicianX

02 Dec 2018

So I'm working on a song where I have a low pass filter sweep over the first 8 bars. My problem is after drawing in the automation if I do not extend the clip the entire length of the song with the automation line now at zero it will stay low passed. How can I keep the low pass filter automation clip within the first 8 bars without it affecting my entire song?

Mich01

02 Dec 2018

AFAK you can set the defaultvalue at the left side of the track (outside the clip). The filter will stay on this value until it is overruled by an automationclip.
The defaultvalue is visible as a thin line in the background of the track.

Greetz Michel

Mr. Watts

02 Dec 2018

What I usually do is set the frequency knob to the highest setting (so that it isnt’t filtering anything) and then create an automation lane to record the sweep. Whatever setting the knob is at when the automation lane is created is what it will return to once the automation clip has played through. The second option is to just create an automation clip to either bypass the filter in areas that you don’t want it or to automate a fixed value of the filter’s frequency at the highest setting.

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2018

As mentioned above

MusicianX

03 Dec 2018

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up doing what Mr. Watts suggested by automating with frequency all the way open first. The small grey Line mich spoke of is hard to see but its better than small clips all over my project.
Last edited by MusicianX on 03 Dec 2018, edited 2 times in total.

selig
RE Developer

03 Dec 2018

MusicianX wrote:
03 Dec 2018
Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up doing what Mr. Watts suggested by automating with frequency all the way open first. The small grey Lin rich spoke of hard to see but its better than small clips all over my project.
You can join the clips to create a single automation clip, which is what I often do if I get too many clips. The "default" points get written into the final automation which is handy.

For example, you could start with the filter wide open, and paste single automation points (at a lower value) in at every other bar, then join them all and you will create a square wave automatically (even without drawing in the upper point each time).

I always think about where to set the knob to be automated BEFORE starting to automate, as this position becomes the "default" value automatically - that way I don't have to go into edit to set the default position unless I change my mind.
Selig Audio, LLC

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
03 Dec 2018

I always think about where to set the knob to be automated BEFORE starting to automate, as this position becomes the "default" value automatically - that way I don't have to go into edit to set the default position unless I change my mind.
Ha ha. I remember the day I realized that. That was a good day :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

03 Dec 2018

It's not "normal behaviour" because the other 3 DAWs I own don't do this.
But this is actually one of the great, small features that Reason has :)

MusicianX

03 Dec 2018

You can join the clips to create a single automation clip, which is what I often do if I get too many clips. The "default" points get written into the final automation which is handy.

For example, you could start with the filter wide open, and paste single automation points (at a lower value) in at every other bar, then join them all and you will create a square wave automatically (even without drawing in the upper point each time).

[/quote]

For as long as I've been using reason I never knew about the default value thing, I sort of just dealt with clips being all over. Thanks for the tip selig.

MusicianX

03 Dec 2018

antic604 wrote:
03 Dec 2018
It's not "normal behaviour" because the other 3 DAWs I own don't do this.
But this is actually one of the great, small features that Reason has :)
haha this threw me off because I also own two other daws and they don't work like either

• Information