Convert (accidental) stereo track to mono?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
svdellepude

02 Dec 2018

I'm facing the Quantum Physics level of operation in Reason of turning a 'mistakingly stereo recorded audio track' into a mono track in Reason.

HOW do I do that in the EASIEST POSSIBLE WAY in Reason?

I've spent the better part of a day googling the hell out of it, and all I get are minutes long videos og guys pulling cables in and out, left and right ...

WHY isn't it as simple as right clicking the the track and go 'Convert to Mono', bounce or whatever. Doesn't matter, as long as I don't have to spent THE WHOLE DAY fiddling with this. Anyone say creativity killer?

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2018

I've never needed to convert a stereo file to mono, at least not needed to print it as a mono file. Are you doing it to reduce file size? (Which makes sense, less ram usage and smaller project save file) There is a way to do it and no it's not as simple as "convert to mono" button but it's still easy.

Otherwise, you can use the width knob in the mixer to turn make true stereo files to mono but I'm pretty sure this isn't what you mean.

Skimrok

02 Dec 2018

don’t you just use the “stereo width button” near the pan button above the channel slider? put it to zero and it’s mono , it’s really simple :lightbulb:

Or am I missing the point here? :oops:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Dec 2018

Skimrok wrote:
02 Dec 2018
Or am I missing the point here? :oops:
Read my comment :P

Skimrok

02 Dec 2018

I’ve just seen it :lol: I didn’t refresh the page , I get my coat :puf_bigsmile:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

svdellepude

23 Feb 2019

Thanks. Think I didn't subscribe to the post, so I didn't get your answer until now. Yeah, one could have all sorts of Reason(s) for doing this. But it shouldn't have to be that complicated. Especially when you have all sorts of 'Bounce' options available. Why would they leave this one out …

boingy

24 Feb 2019

It's just one item on a very long list of things Reason should have if it wants to be taken seriously as an audio and midi editor.

Something else you can't do easily is spit a stereo tack into two mono tracks. I routinely record vocals simultaneously with two different mics into a stereo track. Then I cut them up and comp them in Reason and then I export the audio to either Audacity or Cakewalk to split them into separate tracks and then import them again. It's a pretty basic requirement.

svdellepude

24 Feb 2019

The problem is that the track IS MONO (one waveform in the audio clip). And the label next to the fader says 'Mono', so there IS no Stereo Width button. But whenever I pan the track left or right, I still hear sound in the other side. So SOMETHING internal in Reason make this happen. What button could I accidentally have hit that causes this behavior?

svdellepude

24 Feb 2019

Yeah, I can see that the title is somewhat misleading, but that's what I mean by 'Accidental Stereo' 'cause the track ACT like stereo in some weird way.

svdellepude

24 Feb 2019

Well, maybe it's basically the Mix Channel itself? I don't get why some of my mix channels are in mono and others in stereo? And where can I set them to be either of the two? When I Add Audio Track it's 'automatically' set to be stereo (with Stereo Width button and all), but why are other Audio Tracks (or at least their mix channels) Mono?

pushedbutton

24 Feb 2019

can't you just yoink out the right cable on the device output?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

svdellepude

24 Feb 2019

And when I pan to either side I can still see the meters on the master bus that it has sounds in both sides. Only slightly more in the panned one ... !? This is totally confusing.

Loque

25 Feb 2019

svdellepude wrote:
24 Feb 2019
And when I pan to either side I can still see the meters on the master bus that it has sounds in both sides. Only slightly more in the panned one ... !? This is totally confusing.
Send fx?
Reason12, Win10

motuscott

25 Feb 2019

yoink :D
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

RandyEspoda

25 Feb 2019

If you can still pan the mono signal it simply means it is in DUAL MONO, which are two identical mono signals, one left one right.
There is nothing wrong with the Reason stereo knob, dual mono works that way...

Your best bet is to bounce it out, then using something like Audacity to take one of those signals and saving it as a single mono file,
then reloading it in reason.

• Information