Modifier key to hide note arrows?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tallguy

01 Dec 2018

OK, you know those little arrow that appear on both sides of a note in a note lane so you can stretch notes either way? Is there a way to temporarily hide them? Like by holding down a modifier key? Seriously, the amount of times I'm trying to drag or copy-drag notes, specially on drums but those pesky little arrows get in the way.

dusan.cani

01 Dec 2018

I think this is certainly not possible.

But I totally agree with you. I also consider this as editing workflow problem - if I have short notes and if there is no very big zoom on it, you simply can't move the notes because of those arrows. First workaround is to zoom the note, second workaround is to press left/right arrows on keyboard to change the selection of actual note. But the second workaround does not work well if you have chord notes because pressing arrow will go up/down to note in that chord, it does not go to left/right notes.

I really wonder that this is not problem for anyone else, especially the Props think that this editing workflow is comfortable to use ? :)
Attachments
note-editing.jpg
note-editing.jpg (62.91 KiB) Viewed 662 times

tallguy

01 Dec 2018

Oh yeah, when you have two or more notes sitting on top of each other, that's annoying too.

I'm constantly zooming in and out to get around those arrows. Just like there's a shortcut for toggling snap, I would have hoped there is one to toggle those arrows

selig
RE Developer

01 Dec 2018

For overlapping notes, just use command-arrow to move the selected note up/down or left/right.
Can also be a solution for drag/copy where you duplicate and then use the arrow keys to move.
Not a perfect solution, but a good technique to know about for sure…
Selig Audio, LLC

dusan.cani

01 Dec 2018

I think that those arrows are totally unnecessary there...The mouse pointer should simply change to horizontal arrow when you reach the edges of the selected note. This behaviour would fix this problem.

tallguy

01 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
01 Dec 2018
For overlapping notes, just use command-arrow to move the selected note up/down or left/right.
Can also be a solution for drag/copy where you duplicate and then use the arrow keys to move.
Not a perfect solution, but a good technique to know about for sure…
Thanks, that's good to know.

selig
RE Developer

01 Dec 2018

dusan.cani wrote:
01 Dec 2018
I think that those arrows are totally unnecessary there...The mouse pointer should simply change to horizontal arrow when you reach the edges of the selected note. This behaviour would fix this problem.
Totally agree, and a common request. My problem is it not only causes the issues outlined here, but requires an unnecessary second step when editing: first select a note, then trim it. "Direct Editing" would allow one to simply hover over the note and move or trim as required, although it may not solve all issues, like when notes are tiny for example.

There's also the inspector, which can be used to move smaller notes or extend the length without having to use the mouse pointer, and this is something I REALLY miss when using other MIDI editors.
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

01 Dec 2018

dusan.cani wrote:
01 Dec 2018
Great idea.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

• Information