Rerouting Kong to separate channels

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Odogchirino77

26 Nov 2018

Hello,

I’m having trouble programming drum parts into my sequences. I wanted to reroute the kit so I can individually eq, compress, and add effects, etc. which is kinda simple. But the only pain in the neck is having to draw or track each part in its own lane and keeping track of that. I have 16 lanes to keep track of. Is there a way I can play the whole kit without having to record the snare first, then kick, then cymbals, but keep them individually routed?

How do you all usually accomplish programming drums?

Namyo85

26 Nov 2018

Quick answer... You don't have to have separately routed drums in separate lanes unless you specifically want that. I sometimes use a Redrum and route the gate outputs to Kong, therefore recording patterns which play Kong drums.
I also record drums live using a keyboard on one sequencer lane in realtime and quantize after if required and make other edits like velocity, position, note length.
The usual practice for recording drums on a sequencer lane is to do it all on on lane and split them later for detailed editing, well that's what I'd do if it isn't the usual practice.

chimp_spanner

27 Nov 2018

Odogchirino77 wrote:
26 Nov 2018
Hello,

I’m having trouble programming drum parts into my sequences. I wanted to reroute the kit so I can individually eq, compress, and add effects, etc. which is kinda simple. But the only pain in the neck is having to draw or track each part in its own lane and keeping track of that. I have 16 lanes to keep track of. Is there a way I can play the whole kit without having to record the snare first, then kick, then cymbals, but keep them individually routed?

How do you all usually accomplish programming drums?
Hm sounds like you're talking about two different things; note lanes, and multiple outputs. Note lanes can be a help or a hindrance depending on how you like to work (personally I use them all the time). To process each drum individually you just need to open the Kong programmer, select a pad and use the dropdown menu at the bottom to route it to a physical output. On the back of the Kong you can right click any of the additional outputs and create a new mix channel from it, and then you can put different inserts and sends on each drum.

• Information