Reason 8 won't download soundbanks

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rezelscheft

25 Nov 2018

No idea if anyone still uses Reason 8, but in case they do...

Long story short: I tried to install Reason 8 on my new MacBook, but I can't get it to open because it cannot find the soundbanks (even after I download them).

More details below. Any thoughts much appreciated.
-rez

I have been using Reason 8 on an older MacBook for a few years now. It's great.
I recently got a new 2017 MacBook Air running OS 10.13.6 and downloaded Reason 8.3.2d7.

When I tried to open it, it told me that "Reason needs sound banks and additional content to run. Please click the Download button to download all missing content!" I did that, and watched my computer download and verify the soundbanks. But then Reason told me it couldn't find the soundbanks (again), and asked me to re-install them (again).

After this happened 3 times, I uninstalled Reason, shut down my computer, and re-downloaded it. When I opened it, it again told me the sound banks were missing. I downloaded them again, and again it told me that the banks can't be found, and need to be re-installed.

I also tried downloading the Soundbanks off of the site, and that did not work either.

MannequinRaces

25 Nov 2018

The sound banks have to be in the Reason folder to work properly I think. Find where you are downloading them and put them in there. More info here: https://www.propellerheads.com/download ... soundbanks

rezelscheft

26 Nov 2018

Thanks. I tried downloading those files and putting them in the main Reason 8 folder (which, incidentally, is exactly where they are when you first install Reason from the .dmg file), but sadly, it just collapsed into the same cycle it's been doing. Which is this:

*I open Reason
*it tells me "Reason wants to make changes". I click "OK."
*another pop up reading "Reason needs sound banks and additional content to run. Please click the Download button to download all the missing content!" I click "Download"

Reason then:

* Removes Orkester.rfl, Factory Sound Bank.rfl, and ID8.dat from the main app folder.

*Downloads Orkester.rfl (584MB), Factory Sound Banks.rfl (2198MB), and iD8.dat.rfl (328MB)

* Installs those RFL files into the ID8, and Orkester, and Reason 8 subfolders in Library -> Application Support -> Propellerhead Software -> Soundbanks

* Then installs ID8.dat.phdownload, Orkester.rfl.phdownload, and Factory Sound Bank.rfl.phdownload

*Makes the .rfl files disappear, leaving only the 0KB .phdownload files

Then it opens Reason, and gave me the “Reason wants to make changes” dialog box, and the whole process begins anew.

No idea what’s going on.

JeremyL79

19 Feb 2019

Did you ever find a fix for this? I’m having the exact issue!

buddard
RE Developer

20 Feb 2019

I think Reason 8 is incompatible with the new file system (APFS) that was introduced in macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and later versions.

pikkos

09 Mar 2019

I was able to get Reason 8 (8.3.2d7) installed on my Mac running Mojave 10.14.3.

I got the exact same problem as described above with the endless loop of:
- "Install Reason"
- "Start Reason"
- "Reason Removes ID8 and Orkester/Factory Soundbanks from Applications"
- "Reason needs sound banks"
- "Reason downloads the above filed"
- "Reason deletes the above files"
- "Reason leaves .phdownload"
- Repeat and get angry ;)

What I did was:
1. Download the complete install from Propellerhead.
2. Install Reason.
3. Before starting Reason up I moved the ID8.dat, Orkester.rfl and Factory Sound Bank.rfl from the Applications folder to some temp folder.
4. Start Reason.
5. Provide your local credentials and/or click OK on the question about "Reason wants to make changes".
- This is where Reason creates the folder structure under "/Library/Application Support/".
6. At the pop up reading "Reason needs sound banks and additional content to run..." Click Cancel or just close it and make sure Reason isn´t running.
7. Make sure there are no .phdownload files in the subfolders under "/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks/". If there is, just delete them.
8. Move the ID8.dat, Orkester.rfl and Factory Sound Bank.rfl from the temp folder to the corresponding folders under "/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks/..."
- ID8.dat -> /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks/ID8/
- Orkester.rfl -> /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks/Orkester/
- Factory Sound Bank.rfl -> /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks/Reason 8/
9. Start Reason, login and start creating songs :)

friday

09 Mar 2019

Buy Reason10 _ it is a beast :-)

#waitingduringexport

Magnus

10 Mar 2019

This content download bug still sometimes happens on Mac with Reason 10!

I'd prefer if it Propellerhead just provided the option of a single offline DMG installer for Mac with Drag and Drop that did not require internet connection whatsoever!!

Is it even possible to install Reason 10 on a Mac that's offline?

AR2020

03 Nov 2019

im having the same problem on my MackBook Pro.. Ive been at this all weekend

AR2020

03 Nov 2019

pikkos You are GREAT...... It worked

somethingbeige

13 Jun 2020

PLEASE I desperately need a solution to this.

@pikkos this did not work.

aojbooker

17 Mar 2021

pikkos wrote:
09 Mar 2019
I was able to get Reason 8 (8.3.2d7) installed on my Mac running Mojave 10.14.3.

- "Install Reason"
- "Start Reason"

What I did was:
2. Install Reason.
3. Before starting Reason up I moved the ID8.dat, Orkester.rfl and Factory Sound Bank.rfl from the Applications folder to some temp folder.
4. Start Reason.
5. Provide your local credentials and/or click OK on the question about "Reason wants to make changes".
- This is where Reason creates the folder structure under "/Library/Application Support/".
6. At the pop up reading "Reason needs sound banks and additional content to run..." Click Cancel or just close it and make sure Reason isn´t running.
7. Make sure there are no .phdownload files in the subfolders under "/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks/". If there is, just delete them.
8. Move the ID8.dat, Orkester.rfl and Factory Sound Bank.rfl from the temp folder to the corresponding folders under "/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks/..."
- ID8.dat -> /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks/ID8/
- Orkester.rfl -> /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks/Orkester/
- Factory Sound Bank.rfl -> /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks/Reason 8/
DUDE I LITERALLY CREATED AN ACCOUNT JUST TO TELL YOU HOW THANKFUL I AM FOR THIS......I just got a macbook for the first time in my life after being a windows user for the longest while. I've been setting my computer up and I downloaded reason, but I just couldn't do it because of the issue described by the OP......I have the Big Sur MacOS on an M1 macbook pro and I can confirm that your method still works for an issue which is apparently still existent a year and a half later lol. I was scared that I was going to be forced to continue using reason on my old computer, but not anymore! THANK YOU SO MUCH I CAN NOW USE REASON IN PEACE. 😁😁😁

Sp4rky

31 Mar 2021

pikkos wrote:
09 Mar 2019

- "Install Reason"
- "Start Reason"

What I did was:
2. Install Reason.
4. Start Reason.
I made an account JUST TO SAY THANKS to Pikkos and also IF THIS SOLUTION DIDN'T WORK make sure you're putting the sound banks in the right directory. You can check by letting Reason do the download thing (i.e. Orkester) then while it's doing that type 'Orkester' into Finder which will show you the phdownload file downloading. Right click and select 'show enclosing folder' to make sure ur in the right place. Cheers all!

panoramica

22 Oct 2021

I also had this problem setting up Reason_832_2.dmg on macOS Catalina 10.15.7 today.

After several attempts, I had success with the following steps:

1. Install Reason 8 using Reason_832_2.dmg
2. Refills are automatically installed into Applications/Reason 8. Copy these to a backup location.
3. Run Reason.app
4. Give Finder permission when prompted
5. Download the 'missing' refills when prompted. This will remove the refills from Applications/Reason 8.
6. Open Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/Soundbanks
7. Replace delete ID8.dat.phdownload, copy and paste ID8.dat from the backup location
8. Replace delete Factory Sound Bank.rfl.phdownload, copy and paste Factory Sound Bank.rfl from the backup location
9. Replace delete Orkester.rfl.phdownload, copy and paste Orkester.rfl from the backup location
10. Authorise Reason
11. Reason starts up

Goriila Texas

23 Oct 2021

Gotta be using a cracked copy lol :lol:

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Oct 2021

Goriila Texas wrote:
23 Oct 2021
Gotta be using a cracked copy lol :lol:
Yeah, does sound a bit sus

oan94

31 May 2022

Hello everyone,

I am trying to download the Soundbanks on my Macbook Pro 13inch M1 using this link https://www.propellerheads.com/download ... soundbanks
but unfortunately it is only downloading "Orkester.rfl"(584.5 MB) and "Factory Sound Bank.rfl"(2.2 GB).

I need to download ID8.dat in order to add it to the directory folder..

can anyone share a link where I can find this file.. or share it via a cloud drive?

I am trying the solution of @pikkos to see if it will work.

Thank you in advance.

EnochLight

31 May 2022

oan94 wrote:
31 May 2022
I need to download ID8.dat in order to add it to the directory folder..
No you don't. ID8 is installed when you install Reason 8, so perhaps download the installer from your Reason Studios account and re-install the whole program... :thumbup:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MTTRACKS

03 Nov 2022

Reason 8 Mac Fix
Attachments
REASON 8 MAC FIX.jpg
REASON 8 MAC FIX.jpg (1020.38 KiB) Viewed 2290 times

ghostofdandan

27 Dec 2022

I'm hoping this is a dumb question/easy fix – I'm following the steps that what's his name listed that seems to be working for everyone.. My issue is that when I'm at the Propellerhead Software folder in Application Support, I don't have a Soundbank folder. Only have Authorizer, RackExtensions, and Reason folders. Am I missing something?

MTTRACKS

27 Dec 2022

Yes, you are missing the Soundbanks folder. It shouId be here: "Library, Application Support, Propellerhead Software, Soundbanks, Reason 8, Factory Sound Bank.rfl" -MTTRACKS

Sydiom2

15 Apr 2023

@ghostofdandan
Same issue with me. The Soundbanks folder is missing.
I tried to manually create it in application support/Propellerheads software and put everything in, but Reason still asks me to download everything in order to open.
Have you had any luck?

doctorlilt

25 Apr 2023

Sydiom2 wrote:
15 Apr 2023
@ghostofdandan
Same issue with me. The Soundbanks folder is missing.
I tried to manually create it in application support/Propellerheads software and put everything in, but Reason still asks me to download everything in order to open.
Have you had any luck?
I'm not sure if this is the same on all MACs but I have two Library locations. One is hidden, this is where the Authorizer, Rack Extensions and Reason folder are.

The other Library, you need, is under Macintosh HD > Library (not hidden) ...
pikkos wrote:
09 Mar 2019

- "Install Reason"
- "Start Reason"

What I did was:
2. Install Reason.
4. Start Reason.
This worked for me! Thanks so much!

Sydiom2

03 May 2023

Thank you doctorlilt. I was indeed working via the hidden library. And now Reason seems to want to open.
But now when I try to open it, it says "Reason quit unexpectedly" and in the log it says "Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11"
Anyone else having the same issue and found the reason? (no pun intended.)
I did do a permissions first-aid fix on the drive, and I'm not trying to open any particular track, so it can't be a VST issue.

• Information