Sampler question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2018

Hi. If I have a load of .wav samples, from say a synth, with each sample individually named from from C0 to C3 for example, can I load them all in to NN-XT all at once so they map to the correct keys on my keyboard?
I'm really new with samplers. Thanks if you can help :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

24 Nov 2018

Just drop them to NNXT and choose auto arrange or something like this from the pop up menu of the selected samples in the NNXT.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
24 Nov 2018
Just drop them to NNXT and choose auto arrange or something like this from the pop up menu of the selected samples in the NNXT.
I’ll try that. Thanks. Is it possible to drop them all at once or do I need to do it one at a time?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

24 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
24 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
24 Nov 2018
I’ll try that. Thanks. Is it possible to drop them all at once or do I need to do it one at a time?
Yes, it's possible.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
24 Nov 2018
MrFigg wrote:
24 Nov 2018

Yes, it's possible.
Select all and drag?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

24 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
24 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
24 Nov 2018

Yes, it's possible.
Select all and drag?
Yes. Select all, drag and drop on NNXT.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
24 Nov 2018
MrFigg wrote:
24 Nov 2018

Select all and drag?
Yes. Select all, drag and drop on NNXT.
Magic :). Thanks again.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

I’m really not understanding this. I’ve got a folder with SH101 samples c1, c#1, d1, d#1 etc.
I can select as many as I want, say c1 to c3, and drag them to the nnxt where they map and play fine. But...I can also just drag one of the .wav files to the nnxt and get the same result. What exactly is it that’s going on?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Mr. Watts

25 Nov 2018

MrFigg wrote:
25 Nov 2018
I’m really not understanding this. I’ve got a folder with SH101 samples c1, c#1, d1, d#1 etc.
I can select as many as I want, say c1 to c3, and drag them to the nnxt where they map and play fine. But...I can also just drag one of the .wav files to the nnxt and get the same result. What exactly is it that’s going on?

With samplers such as the NN-XT you can import a single sample and it will be playable throughout the keyboard. You will achieve a “better” sounding sampled instrument if you import individual samples for each note however. This is because when only a single sample is used, the playback speed varies depending on which note you play it back in. So if you play it at a higher note it will playback quicker and lower notes the opposite. There will also be some audio degradation to accompany the varying playback speeds. Hope this helps.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

Mr. Watts wrote:
25 Nov 2018
MrFigg wrote:
25 Nov 2018

With samplers such as the NN-XT you can import a single sample and it will be playable throughout the keyboard. You will achieve a “better” sounding sampled instrument if you import individual samples for each note however. This is because when only a single sample is used, the playback speed varies depending on which note you play it back in. So if you play it at a higher note it will playback quicker and lower notes the opposite. There will also be some audio degradation to accompany the varying playback speeds. Hope this helps.

Yes it does. Thankyou. I kindof suspected that. I noticed also if I drag say a drum sample and then a synth sample to the nnxt I get both samples playing at the same time when I hit a key. Is that the way it works and is there a limit to how many samples I can load on each key? Thanks for your patience :). I know it’s a lot of questions.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

25 Nov 2018

To get the most out of NNXT I suggest you have a look at the very fine manual for Reason. (You should be able to access it from the help menu.)

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

jam-s wrote:
25 Nov 2018
To get the most out of NNXT I suggest you have a look at the very fine manual for Reason. (You should be able to access it from the help menu.)
Ha ha. I bet you say that to all the guys :):):).
I thought about doing that but I like the social interaction on the forum. Been locked in the house with three kids all weekend. :):). I’ll rtfm
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

25 Nov 2018

The manual is really well-written and tries to explain in a rather entertaining way. Also there are tons of nice and neat little tricks to help you speed up your work-flow mentioned in the manual.
Last edited by jam-s on 25 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2018

jam-s wrote:
25 Nov 2018
The manual is really well written and tries to explain in a rather entertaining way. Also there are tons of nice and neat little tricks to help you speed up your work-flow mentioned in the manual.
Thanks man. I’ll read it tomorrow on night shift. Promise :):):).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information