best auto tune product?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gritz

23 Nov 2018

usually use reason's own tuning on my singers vocals.

but can you recommend another product

have brought WAVES TUNE and just getting to grips with that.

watched youtube showing someone use WAVES TUNE and his ear is clearly better than mine!

can anyone recommend

Loque

23 Nov 2018

Unless you are not one of those hiphop guys or Cher that like the artifacts, you just need a better singer. If you dont have a bette singer, make the best use of those artifacts, and do like it is intended.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

25 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Unless you are not one of those hiphop guys or Cher that like the artifacts, you just need a better singer. If you dont have a bette singer, make the best use of those artifacts, and do like it is intended.
this isn’t true. if you can find a better singer, that’s great. if they can improve themselves, that’s even better. but it’s not a black and white choice between finding a great singer or having to deal with pitch artifacting.

unless your singer is truly terrible, you can easily use Reason’s built-in pitch editor to overhaul a vocal track transparently. the key is just to make the most subtle moves you can get away with, be patient, and solo the track as you work. if you can’t hear artifacts when the vocal is soloed, you’re not going to hear them when the rest of the mix is going on around them. that’s what you should be aiming for.

that said, I wish I could respond to the OP’s actual question...I’ve only ever used the built-in pitch editors in Reason and Digital Performer (they’re both excellent). I’ve heard a lot of great things about Melodyne, but I have no firsthand experience, and I’m guessing it’s probably a bit pricey. is there a particular reason you don’t want to use the built-in pitch editor? if by some chance you *do* want artifacts, Neptune does that really well.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

WeLoveYouToo

26 Nov 2018

unless you are in need of auto tuning for live performances, use melodyne. i can not say enough how much better it is than reason’s built in pitch editing options. and for black friday wknd the upgrade from the essential to assistant is only 49 bucks. it’s the only tuning product i use for vocals, nothing comes close.

don’t listen to loque on this one.
nowadays pitch/formant editing can be transparent and even perfect singers may perfectly hit the wrong in-tune note or you may want to change the note later or whatever and it’s just rude to dismiss the singer without knowing who they are and how relevant they are to the project.

C//AZM

26 Nov 2018

Especially if you're the engineer or producer and the singer is PAYING you to record and you need transparent tuning. I use Melodyne too. I've used the rest and I would say that for the glitch effect, AT works the best, but for transparent selective tuning, Melodyne can't be beat.

The sound of pop music today is perfectly tuned vocals and a perfect performance tops a perfectly in-tune but lackluster performance. I've worked for excellent singers who gave top notch performances but "that one part she landed a bit sharp".
Besides, when you're working in a specific genre, you don't have the snob's luxury of not using a certain technique. It's like doing 2010 EDM with no build-up/ drop, because it doesn't suit your taste.
The days of bemoaning tuning sw is akin to the old days of bemoaning punch-ins. Unless you've got the big budget , then no one's got the time or patience to deal with such luxuries...especially when the best performance might be right there in front of you.

Also in the case where the minor remix needed to work with the major original, Melodyne saved a lot of time and money we just converted the major track to minor.

pushedbutton

26 Nov 2018

I'm stubborn enough to try everything I can in Reason before I look further afield.
I get better results from splitting the dry signals frequencies into 3 or 4 channels and tuning them separately. Lower frequencies are a bit more forgiving so if you can strip them away the mids and highs are a bit easier to handle.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

ejanuska

26 Nov 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
26 Nov 2018
I'm stubborn enough to try everything I can in Reason before I look further afield.
I get better results from splitting the dry signals frequencies into 3 or 4 channels and tuning them separately. Lower frequencies are a bit more forgiving so if you can strip them away the mids and highs are a bit easier to handle.
smart

guitfnky

26 Nov 2018

pushedbutton wrote:
26 Nov 2018
really cool-sounding technique. does that ever result in any weirdness? I’m thinking if you don’t match the pitch curve of each of the splits, it might cause some slight chorusing. could be an interesting effect idea...
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

pushedbutton

26 Nov 2018

To be honest I've not had a lot of experience dealing with .... hmm, how I can put this....
I work with vocalists who need to wear hearing aids. When you absolutely have to brute force it to make it work, this makes life a bit easier. There's always going to be some tweaking to make it sound as good as possible.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

jlgrimes

29 Nov 2018

gritz wrote:
23 Nov 2018
usually use reason's own tuning on my singers vocals.

but can you recommend another product

have brought WAVES TUNE and just getting to grips with that.

watched youtube showing someone use WAVES TUNE and his ear is clearly better than mine!

can anyone recommend
1. Neptune (included in Reason and actually is pretty good)

2. Reason pitch edit (pretty nice as well)

3. Gsnap free

4. Izotope vocalsynth (not quite the same but goes places autotune can't.)

5. Izotope Nectar (not quite the same but in some ways similar to Neptune)

6. NI the Mouth (a poor man's version of Vocalsynth)

7. Melodyne (more similar to Reason pitch edit. Very natural sounding but can be tweaked to sound Autotunish. High learning curve, expensive, but the effects I heard from it is top notch)

Autotune has a sound that can be hard to mimic with other tuners. Neptune actually is pretty close though. It's just finding each tuners sweet spots. Autotune can be more forgiving.

It's not always about being a better singer as well. I know some great singers/producers who use Autotune because it is actually the sound of certain genres. I cringe sometimes because I've heard singers who sound better without the plugin (and overuse can take away the original character of the voice). It's becoming more like plastic surgery and makeup now. Many people look better without it but keeping up with the Hollywood machine to attract the masses is saddingly necessary for some (or at least in many people opinion). And tasteful use of the plugin is actually very pleasing (and makeup and plastic surgery)

• Information