mixing vocals with track

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gritz

23 Nov 2018

guys,

the biggest critic of my work tends to be the mixing of the synths, drums and vocals.
either the vocals sound to high In the mix
but this only seems evident when I have downloaded the completed track as a wav and send to sound cloud.

the soundcloud, reverbnation copies sound different to the reason version

why is that?
what can I do to change?
should I change my headphones?

Loque

23 Nov 2018

Streaming services re-master your uploads to their own needs and they still think they are doing a good job, but fail heavily. Soundcloud does this too. And on top they compress your uploads that whould make little marsians cry.

In short, you need to become aware of how to mastering for soundcloud and other streaming services.
Rule of thumb:
* No clipping
* be around -1db peak
* -12db rms
* not too much bass, more in the mids

and probably a lot of sh!t i do not know. You can try other streaming services. Soundcloud is dead.
Reason12, Win10

NekujaK

23 Nov 2018

Hard to say for sure what's going on, but make sure you're listening to all the versions of the track at the same exact volume level. Vocals in particular, tend to have different perceived volume levels depending on how quiet or loud the track is played.

Check out the "Mixing The Vocal" section of this post for some more info about perceived vocal volume and how to get the vocal at the right level in the mix: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7508590
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Skimrok

24 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Streaming services re-master your uploads to their own needs and they still think they are doing a good job, but fail heavily. Soundcloud does this too. And on top they compress your uploads that whould make little marsians cry.

In short, you need to become aware of how to mastering for soundcloud and other streaming services.
Rule of thumb:
* No clipping
* be around -1db peak
* -12db rms
* not too much bass, more in the mids

and probably a lot of sh!t i do not know. You can try other streaming services. Soundcloud is dead.
Thank you Loque for that BF sibilance free link, I thought I grab one of those to try down the line myself ;)
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

gritz

28 Feb 2020

hi Guys,

what would you now consider the best upload sites to get your music online?

use soundcloud and reverbnation currently

jam-s

28 Feb 2020

• Information