RE filter slopes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dvdrtldg

22 Nov 2018

So I just picked up Omega Trimmer, because I like the option of a really steep cutoff (192 dB/oct) and wanted to compare it to D Filter (which also has this option)

Running them both over some white noise, they sound completely different. Each one is set at 830 Hz HP and 4.5 KHz LP. Spectrum analyser shows Omega doing more or less what you'd expect, i.e. a steep-sided almost-rectangular block of signal. D Filter on the other hand has much more gradual slopes

What's up with that? I'm not overly bothered by it - but surprised to see such a difference. I would have thought a 192 dB/oct cutoff should be a 192 dB/oct cutoff, i.e. a very precise and consistent setting from one device to the next?

antic604

22 Nov 2018

Calling @selig, the in-house filter expert for help :)

Zac

22 Nov 2018

Try switching the HQ setting on the back and see if that makes a difference...

Biolumin3sc3nt

22 Nov 2018

I personally love the D-filter. It's one of my most used RE's. Different beast all together.

scratchnsnifff

23 Nov 2018

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
22 Nov 2018
I personally love the D-filter. It's one of my most used RE's. Different beast all together.
I can’t seem to get a decent sound from D Filter when trying to make it do a band pass or band reject type of filter. While I love the concept and like the drive setting, I notice that in the higher register the bandoass almost acts like a high pass or low pass, I can’t seem to remember but, maybe I was making the bandwidth too large.

I would like to see a band reject filter in Reason. With the two peaks and one notch in the middle, as seen inside of massive and serum. It’s rasy to create using EQs but it would be cool to see filter shapes like this inside of Reason and or rack extensions
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Biolumin3sc3nt

23 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
22 Nov 2018
I can’t seem to get a decent sound from D Filter when trying to make it do a band pass or band reject type of filter. While I love the concept and like the drive setting, I notice that in the higher register the bandoass almost acts like a high pass or low pass, I can’t seem to remember but, maybe I was making the bandwidth too large.

I would like to see a band reject filter in Reason. With the two peaks and one notch in the middle, as seen inside of massive and serum. It’s rasy to create using EQs but it would be cool to see filter shapes like this inside of Reason and or rack extensions
Well Sir... it fits into the dynamics of music i make. I've been on that Ian Pooley tip lately for deep house - tech house and it fits nice and snug! To each their own own of course. I love My filter drops and this has been perfect for me. Everything is subjective and this is my opinion!

I'll go Country and say "That's my story and I'm sticking to it" lol --- what it is

my bad... i should have put some substance in place

https://youtu.be/SUMLqfWUCXU
Last edited by Biolumin3sc3nt on 23 Nov 2018, edited 1 time in total.

scratchnsnifff

23 Nov 2018

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
23 Nov 2018
scratchnsnifff wrote:
23 Nov 2018

Well Sir... it fits into the dynamics of music i make. I've been on that Ian Pooley tip lately for deep house - tech house and it fits nice and snug! To each their own own of course. I love My filter drops and this has been perfect for me. Everything is subjective and this is my opinion!

I'll go Country and say "That's my story and I'm sticking to it" lol --- what it is
Hahaha nice, I didn’t mean to Throw anything negative towards the d filter, I suppose I just need to mess with it more. Iv seen it used a lot in a bunch of YouTube tutorials. When I get home I’ll have to give it another go :D
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Biolumin3sc3nt

23 Nov 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
23 Nov 2018
Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
23 Nov 2018

Hahaha nice, I didn’t mean to Throw anything negative towards the d filter, I suppose I just need to mess with it more. Iv seen it used a lot in a bunch of YouTube tutorials. When I get home I’ll have to give it another go :D
Yeah Buddy, give 'er a run thru

• Information