Routing regroove mixer to Thor sequencer - is it possible ? Or work around ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Phletch

09 Nov 2018

Having read the manual it seems not poss but wondered if any creative types had figured a workaround....get great to combine the additional sequencing capabilities with regroove without bouncing the sequence to track...any ideas?

Loque

09 Nov 2018

That is an interesting question... It should be possible to grab the groove from a grooved midi line, but you cannot change the sequencer from Thor with it, well, AFAIK. If you want to change only the velocities of a grooved midi, then just grab it from a Combinator sequencer midi line, where you have a RPG8 in it. Turn off the RPG8 and grab velocity from the back.
Reason12, Win10

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2018

Off the top of my head, this might work:

1. Create another Thor and program a midi clip full of 16th notes. Assign your Regroove pattern to this note lane. This will be the control signal.

2. Make sure Global Envelope gate trigger button is on.

3. At the rear of the controller Thor, route the Global Env CV output to an open CV input on the back of the sound-generating Thor.

4. In your sound-generating Thor, use the mod matrix to route the CV input to STEP SEQ TRIG

5. Put the sequencer in STEP mode.

This should advance your Thor’s sequencer whenever the controller Thor sends a gate signal. You may need to shorten the lengths of the 16th notes in the midi lane and the Global Envelope’s shape to get the impulses discrete enough. I recommend the free CVA utility from Pongasoft to allow you to see the envelope clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loque

09 Nov 2018

Timmy Crowne wrote:
09 Nov 2018
5. Put the sequencer in STEP mode.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good one!
Reason12, Win10

Phletch

09 Nov 2018

thanks .will try!