The goddamn browser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chaosroyale

09 Nov 2018

Why is the browser permanently fixed to the LEFT side of the Rack? It's the very worst place for it to be.

If you want to keep the rack fully visible, when the browser is minimized it leaves a ton of dead space on the left of the rack and saves you nothing.

OR

Half of the rack disappears every time you open the browser.

Just make it a separate window already!!!!

/rant

Ahornberg

09 Nov 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Why is the browser permanently fixed to the LEFT side of the Rack? It's the very worst place for it to be.

If you want to keep the rack fully visible, when the browser is minimized it leaves a ton of dead space on the left of the rack and saves you nothing.

OR

/rant
The Rack already can be put into a separate window.

Loque

09 Nov 2018

Drag and drop between full screen windows would be a PITA.
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

09 Nov 2018

I am on R9.5, I don't think the browser can be put into another window unless I am missing something.

Are you saying that on Reason 10 it is possible to remove the left-hand "browser" tab in the rack window completely? That might be worth the upgrade.
Ahornberg wrote:
09 Nov 2018
chaosroyale wrote:
09 Nov 2018

OR

/rant
The Rack already can be put into a separate window.

chaosroyale

09 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
I just don't want the horrible ugly broswer-in-left-side-of-rack-window arrangement. Drop-down browser, browser that pops out on the right side of the rack and then disappears, browser window that can be "stickied", any of these would be better.

rgdaniel

09 Nov 2018

I like the browser. In Reason 10, it can be hidden completely, or dragged to any desired width. I usually leave it at about a fifth the screen width (yes, I just measured it!), just enough to read the instrument names, and only adjust when I need to, which is not very often.

Loque

09 Nov 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
I just don't want the horrible ugly broswer-in-left-side-of-rack-window arrangement. Drop-down browser, browser that pops out on the right side of the rack and then disappears, browser window that can be "stickied", any of these would be better.
If the browser would be a stand alone window, drag&drop between would be https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pita
Reason12, Win10

Ahornberg

09 Nov 2018

Detaching the Rack window gives you the opportunity of having 2 browsers pointing to different locations. Great!

Loque

09 Nov 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Detaching the Rack window gives you the opportunity of having 2 browsers pointing to different locations. Great!
I am confused....
Reason12, Win10

Ahornberg

09 Nov 2018

Loque wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
09 Nov 2018
I am confused....
The detached Rack window has its own browser.

Loque

09 Nov 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Nov 2018
Loque wrote:
09 Nov 2018

I am confused....
The detached Rack window has its own browser.
I mean, iam confused by the two browser windows already. I hate it to select something in the browser, pop out the window, and i am somwhere else. Stupid customers! you can get it right for them!
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

09 Nov 2018

I would love the option to have the browser open at the right side of the rack. I have a vertically-oriented left monitor, and a single rack column fits perfectly in it (rack is detached; the mixer and sequencer are on my other monitor). opening the browser from one of the rack devices opens the browser to the left, which shoves everything else to the right, and means I can only see the lefthand side of the devices until I close the browser (or scroll over).

an even better option (for me) would be to have the browser open to the left of the sequencer/mixer on the other monitor. since I usually have that open anyway, it's weird to have the browser open in both the docked sequencer/mixer, and also in the rack. more options for browser positioning would be great.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

09 Nov 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Nov 2018
what is the use case for this? I don't doubt there is one; I just can't think of what it might be.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Jagwah

11 Nov 2018

When the new browser was new I kinda hated it, but over time I have come to understand how well implemented it really is.

MarkTarlton

11 Nov 2018

it would be ideal if you didn't have to point to the correct preset folder assuming you don't select the default patch browser option. this takes time away from the creative process.

selig
RE Developer

11 Nov 2018

MarkTarlton wrote:
11 Nov 2018
it would be ideal if you didn't have to point to the correct preset folder assuming you don't select the default patch browser option. this takes time away from the creative process.
Good point, would be nice if you could have it point to the correct folder without ALSO having it load the default patch…
Selig Audio, LLC

esselfortium

11 Nov 2018

selig wrote:
11 Nov 2018
MarkTarlton wrote:
11 Nov 2018
Good point, would be nice if you could have it point to the correct folder without ALSO having it load the default patch…
This would help a lot. The only reason I keep default patch loading on is because hitting Reset Device is less hassle than finding wherever the patch folder is, but that's just substituting one inconvenience for another. Being able to start with an init device and still have the browser navigate itself to the device's patch folder is exactly what I'd want.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Cultor

12 Nov 2018

On the subject of the browser I could name a few more things to bring it up to date
- Make searching plugins autocomplete. Instead of having to press enter. Seems like a small thing but it feels so old-fashioned.
- Plugin favorits list

I am very impressed by bitwig's implementation:

ejanuska

14 Nov 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
09 Nov 2018
That drives me nuts when I switch from the sequencer to the rack and I have to re-navigate to the location so I can drag a sample somewhere. Absolute stupidity.

• Information