Is Reason 10 demo mode restricted in any way?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Veech
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Oct 2018

Post 08 Nov 2018

Simple question, is Reason 10 demo mode crippled in any way? Or is it 100% fully functional?

I can get Reason 4 to rewire in Reaper and play the demo song in Reaper. However, even though Reason 10 demo seems to rewire it will not play the demo in Reaper. Odd.

Thanks

Veech
Posts: 31
Joined: 14 Oct 2018

Post 08 Nov 2018

I should also mention that Reason 4 loads from my computer but Reason 10 connects online.

antic604

Post 08 Nov 2018

From Propellerhead's Q&A: https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/faq
Is there a demo version of Reason?

Yes! Please visit the Try Reason page. The demo version of Reason is fully functional and has all the content of the full version, the only limitation is that you can't open song files, export them to audio or use Rack Extensions.
...which suggests Rewire should work, unless you're using a Reason Intro (and not the 30-day demo) where Rewire is disabled:
https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/buy

User avatar
Oberlai
Posts: 39
Joined: 04 Oct 2017

Post 18 Jan 2019

antic604 wrote:
08 Nov 2018
From Propellerhead's Q&A: https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/faq
Is there a demo version of Reason?

Yes! Please visit the Try Reason page. The demo version of Reason is fully functional and has all the content of the full version, the only limitation is that you can't open song files, export them to audio or use Rack Extensions.
...which suggests Rewire should work, unless you're using a Reason Intro (and not the 30-day demo) where Rewire is disabled:
https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/buy
Been looking around the internet for some answers to this, and people are just incredibly confused. No wonder at all since the props themselves aren't able to explain it properly, look at this from the prop site:
Is there a demo version of Reason?
Yes! Please visit the Try Reason page. The demo version of Reason is fully functional and has all the content of the full version, the only limitation is that you can't open song files, export them to audio or use Rack Extensions.


That text lacks some VERY important info. Isn't it weird that nobody is able to explain this properly, even those around the forums who tried it themselves... Anyway, from what I've gathered from different posts/sources the Reason demo starts with a 30 day trial period with 100% functionality - you can save and load anything. AFTER the 30 day trial period, it will go into "demo mode". It seems you can use demo mode for as long as you like, SAVE patches and projects, but NOT WAV/MP3. You can't LOAD anything at all or use REs. Don't know about trialing REs or using VSTs.

So if you look again at the props' text, this is not what they say at all, their text is simply incorrect / incomplete / incompetent ;) Very confusing.

I will try this myself this weekend. Pretty sure about how the trial period works. After 30 days I'll post about demo mode and what actually happens, if it's usable at all after. Will also try to run VST and trial a RE in demo mode. Actually I don't think I have to wait for 30 days to try demo mode, it should be an option in the launcher as a fail-safe in case you don't have access to internet.

Gonna feed Grain some Amiga ST-01 samples and see what comes out, gonna be AWESOME. I hope ;)

Edit: I can confirm that it works as suspected.
Last edited by Oberlai on 23 Jan 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mjxl
Posts: 452
Joined: 23 Nov 2018

Post 18 Jan 2019

Rack Extensions don't work, because it requires you to login.

Vst on the other hand work like normal.

You can save anything you like. Songs, patches etc. You just can't load them back
(Can't load songs/projects, you CAN load patches if I'm not mistaken)

You also can't export.

That's about it.
:reason: 11Suite + :re:
Patch Randomizer: topic - https://mjxl.net/remoter/
Complex-1 Community Refill: topic - https://mjxl.net/rsn/Complex-1%20Community%20ReFill.rfl

pranavakazack
Posts: 12
Joined: 17 May 2019

Post 17 May 2019

mjxl wrote:
18 Jan 2019
you CAN load patches if I'm not mistaken)
I tried loading the Combinator preset but I could'nt edit the patch, is that the case, if not how do edit my combinator patches?

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2576
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 18 May 2019

Oberlai wrote:
18 Jan 2019
antic604 wrote:
08 Nov 2018
From Propellerhead's Q&A: https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/faq



...which suggests Rewire should work, unless you're using a Reason Intro (and not the 30-day demo) where Rewire is disabled:
https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/buy
Been looking around the internet for some answers to this, and people are just incredibly confused. No wonder at all since the props themselves aren't able to explain it properly, look at this from the prop site:
Is there a demo version of Reason?
Yes! Please visit the Try Reason page. The demo version of Reason is fully functional and has all the content of the full version, the only limitation is that you can't open song files, export them to audio or use Rack Extensions.


That text lacks some VERY important info. Isn't it weird that nobody is able to explain this properly, even those around the forums who tried it themselves... Anyway, from what I've gathered from different posts/sources the Reason demo starts with a 30 day trial period with 100% functionality - you can save and load anything. AFTER the 30 day trial period, it will go into "demo mode". It seems you can use demo mode for as long as you like, SAVE patches and projects, but NOT WAV/MP3. You can't LOAD anything at all or use REs. Don't know about trialing REs or using VSTs.

So if you look again at the props' text, this is not what they say at all, their text is simply incorrect / incomplete / incompetent ;) Very confusing.

I will try this myself this weekend. Pretty sure about how the trial period works. After 30 days I'll post about demo mode and what actually happens, if it's usable at all after. Will also try to run VST and trial a RE in demo mode. Actually I don't think I have to wait for 30 days to try demo mode, it should be an option in the launcher as a fail-safe in case you don't have access to internet.

Gonna feed Grain some Amiga ST-01 samples and see what comes out, gonna be AWESOME. I hope ;)

Edit: I can confirm that it works as suspected.
You are mixing Demo and Trial version here, they are different things.

Demo runs forever with the limitations stated, you can get a WAV file out of Reason but it's per stem.

Trial version runs for 30 days with no restrictions.

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2576
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 18 May 2019

pranavakazack wrote:
17 May 2019
mjxl wrote:
18 Jan 2019
you CAN load patches if I'm not mistaken)
I tried loading the Combinator preset but I could'nt edit the patch, is that the case, if not how do edit my combinator patches?
Yes you can edit them, you did click on the show devices button on the combinator?

User avatar
Oberlai
Posts: 39
Joined: 04 Oct 2017

Post 07 Jun 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
18 May 2019
Oberlai wrote:
18 Jan 2019


Been looking around the internet for some answers to this, and people are just incredibly confused. No wonder at all since the props themselves aren't able to explain it properly, look at this from the prop site:
Is there a demo version of Reason?
Yes! Please visit the Try Reason page. The demo version of Reason is fully functional and has all the content of the full version, the only limitation is that you can't open song files, export them to audio or use Rack Extensions.


That text lacks some VERY important info. Isn't it weird that nobody is able to explain this properly, even those around the forums who tried it themselves... Anyway, from what I've gathered from different posts/sources the Reason demo starts with a 30 day trial period with 100% functionality - you can save and load anything. AFTER the 30 day trial period, it will go into "demo mode". It seems you can use demo mode for as long as you like, SAVE patches and projects, but NOT WAV/MP3. You can't LOAD anything at all or use REs. Don't know about trialing REs or using VSTs.

So if you look again at the props' text, this is not what they say at all, their text is simply incorrect / incomplete / incompetent ;) Very confusing.

I will try this myself this weekend. Pretty sure about how the trial period works. After 30 days I'll post about demo mode and what actually happens, if it's usable at all after. Will also try to run VST and trial a RE in demo mode. Actually I don't think I have to wait for 30 days to try demo mode, it should be an option in the launcher as a fail-safe in case you don't have access to internet.

Gonna feed Grain some Amiga ST-01 samples and see what comes out, gonna be AWESOME. I hope ;)

Edit: I can confirm that it works as suspected.
You are mixing Demo and Trial version here, they are different things.

Demo runs forever with the limitations stated, you can get a WAV file out of Reason but it's per stem.

Trial version runs for 30 days with no restrictions.
"Trial version" does not exist, it's "trial period". Full/demo/trial = same installation, only different states/modes. I tried Lite some time ago, that had a smaller installation package, I'd guess Intro/Limited/Essentials have their own packages too.

Anyway, one can have a 30 day trial period during which Reason runs as a full version (load/save anything). After that it goes into demo mode, which you can use forever if you want. You will get updates, you can save songs/patches (and stems evidently) but you can not load back in your own songs/patches. You CAN load everything in the official sound banks of course. You can use VSTs but not REs.

Just summing all this up for reference. They have so many versions they seem confused themselves sometimes. Look at these pages - one of them say that Essentials is discontinued, but on another page it's mentioned as if it's still legit. Probably just not updated. And no page has an overview of all versions..... Anyway, for anybody considering buying Reason, full is the only way to go, so that's easy ;)
https://www.propellerheads.com/reason-limited
https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... n-10-Lite-
https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... ntials-10-

reason might suck
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Dec 2019

Post 13 Dec 2019

I have a question please!?. It is very important. I have some saved songs on the reason 11 demo. I was aware that I couldn't open them again but I was planning on buying reason so I was excited to open them after the purchase. Now that I have purchased Reason 11 it will not let me open my save reason files from the demo page. Does anyone know if my saved songs on the demo version are lost, or should I re download reason 11? The save songs are in reason format save on my desktop. When I try to open them with it says they are not found? I really would appreciate the help. I am using a Mac
Thanks

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2576
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 16 Dec 2019

reason might suck wrote:
13 Dec 2019
I have a question please!?. It is very important. I have some saved songs on the reason 11 demo. I was aware that I couldn't open them again but I was planning on buying reason so I was excited to open them after the purchase. Now that I have purchased Reason 11 it will not let me open my save reason files from the demo page. Does anyone know if my saved songs on the demo version are lost, or should I re download reason 11? The save songs are in reason format save on my desktop. When I try to open them with it says they are not found? I really would appreciate the help. I am using a Mac
Thanks
Are you trying to open them by just double clicking them? If so then load Reason first then from inside Reason navigate to your desktop and open them (not sure how clever Mac's are, once Reason is open\running you may get away with double clicking them on your desktop)

Bottom line is you should be able to open those saved files.

Also it sounds like you were running Reason in DEMO mode and did not take the 30 day trial up, as with the trial you can save and open and use any RE during that period.

User avatar
Chizmata
Posts: 565
Joined: 21 Dec 2015

Post 16 Dec 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
16 Dec 2019
reason might suck wrote:
13 Dec 2019
I have a question please!?. It is very important. I have some saved songs on the reason 11 demo. I was aware that I couldn't open them again but I was planning on buying reason so I was excited to open them after the purchase. Now that I have purchased Reason 11 it will not let me open my save reason files from the demo page. Does anyone know if my saved songs on the demo version are lost, or should I re download reason 11? The save songs are in reason format save on my desktop. When I try to open them with it says they are not found? I really would appreciate the help. I am using a Mac
Thanks
Are you trying to open them by just double clicking them? If so then load Reason first then from inside Reason navigate to your desktop and open them (not sure how clever Mac's are, once Reason is open\running you may get away with double clicking them on your desktop)

Bottom line is you should be able to open those saved files.

Also it sounds like you were running Reason in DEMO mode and did not take the 30 day trial up, as with the trial you can save and open and use any RE during that period.
hmm i did the r11 trial and it wouldnt let me trial the RE's that require a higher version than my highest registered (8) in it. so i couldnt test complex-1 for example. i'm also not sure if the trial is/was "really" r11 back then, because it said v10.55 or sth in the loading screen. maybe that causes the loading problems?

charlie_leivers
Posts: 1
Joined: 17 Oct 2020

Post 17 Oct 2020

the simple solution i found was to use reason 11 every month in the trail version, save everything locally and then when the trial ran out i would just create a new account. i did that for almost a year without issues or restrictions though its provided by my uni know.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 5 guests