Will Reason become in VR

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
The_Grass

25 Oct 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
25 Oct 2018
Well if you think how much CPU your average DAW at full load needs, and then add the graphics and physics requirements of rendering and simulating all that gear in a 3D space...it's a very, very long way off. Plus it'd just be too expensive. For the developer and the consumer. The simplest solution is usually the best; if I had something like a Nektar P6 that'd be about as close as I'd need to get to "touching" the Reason devices, as it'd have enough controls to work away from the screen. In VR you can't feel things, there's no resistance, no tactile element. I think to translate something like Reason into a VR setting would actually be more work than it's worth.

Not to say I don't think there'll ever be a VR DAW. But it'd have to be constructed from the ground up to work in that space. Off the top of my head I'm thinking virtual studios where people can all join a session and interact with simple, virtual devices to make music together. Kind of a musical playground/lobby. And they could invite virtual spectators into the room with them so some people could perform, some people could watch/dance/fly around. You could customise the performance space, make cool lighting shows and effects that wouldn't even be possible in the real world. But yeah the tech has to be way more ubiquitous and affordable for it to be a thing.
Nice thinking :thumbs_up:

electrofux

26 Oct 2018

The_Grass wrote:
25 Oct 2018
electrofux wrote:
25 Oct 2018
Please not before there are vr systems that are smaller and are not so annoying to wear, have no cables and a higher resolution.
How heavy is a guitar or bass and 🥁.
Maybe it is only me but after wearing a headset for over half an hour it gets really annoying at least the occulus one.

pushedbutton

27 Oct 2018

I love VR to bits, but it's still no place for a DAW. The ones that have been developed are all very gimmicky and abstract. Ultimately they're not very useful. We're generations away from making it work as well at is does on a plain old screen and I can't really think of anything that VR would bring to the table to improve what we have.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information