CV Question - How to Compare Then Do Something?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MannequinRaces

21 Oct 2018

What would be the easiest way to compare two CV signals and if one is below a certain threshold do something and if the other is over do something else? For example a CV signal in the range of 1-99 and a signal in the range of 100-127. If the signal is 1-99 I want it to trigger a gate on a sequencer, if it's above I want the 100-127 signal to trigger a different gate and I don't want the lower one to trigger and vice versa. Any ideas? Do I need to be looking at logic gates for this or will something like Thor do the trick (seems like Thor is a Swiss Army Knife of utilities)? Thank you for any and all suggestions. I'm getting to be quite familiar with CV signals but not comparing them to each other.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2018

You should be able to do this with Thor. Off the top of my head, I would send your CV into Thor and route it to Global Env Gate Trig. Set the envelope to full sustain, zero everything else unless you want a specific curve. Use the mod matrix amount slider to carefully find the threshold where the gate is only triggered once the CV input is 100 or more. (The free CVA analyzer is very useful here, both to show the value of your incoming CV signal, and another instance to show whether the Global Envelope is being triggered.) That should take care of your high-value gate. For your low-value gate, just pass a new gate signal thru the same Thor using the Global Envelope as a scale at -100.

I’m away from Reason but the general concept should hold.

MannequinRaces

21 Oct 2018

How do I get the CV out of Thor? If I'm using the Global Env Modulation output do I have to split it to get the high and low cv signals or something else? Thank you for the help! Much appreciated.

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

21 Oct 2018

No problem. You can use the dedicated Global Envelope CV output on the back of Thor for your high value gate.

For the low value gate, you’ll need a separate signal of course, so you can either:

1. Route a gate signal from another device thru Thor ( e.g. “CVIn2 > amount.100 > CVOut2 > scale.-100 > Global Env”)

Or

2. You can trigger the internal MIDI gate with the note lane and use that ( e.g. “MIDI Gate > amount.100 > CVOut2 > scale.-100 > Global Env”).

Hope this helps!

MannequinRaces

21 Oct 2018

I'll try this out. Thanks! How'd you learn about this stuff?

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2018

Attached find an old Thor Combinator I made to duplicate the "Threshold Switcher" in Reaktor.

A CV patched into CVIn1 will appear at CVOut1 when it's below the threshold set on the front panel of the Combinator (Rotary 1), and will come out CVOut2 when at or above the set threshold.

You can also use CVIn4 to determine the threshold value if you prefer.

Instructions are on the front of the Combinator.
You should be able to easily modify this to produce any value you want on those two outputs (the input CV value doesn't have to appear on the two outputs selected by the input CV - make sense?
If you have questions, ask here!
Threshold Switcher-CV2.cmb.zip
(68.05 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Selig Audio, LLC

MannequinRaces

21 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
21 Oct 2018
Attached find an old Thor Combinator I made to duplicate the "Threshold Switcher" in Reaktor.

A CV patched into CVIn1 will appear at CVOut1 when it's below the threshold set on the front panel of the Combinator (Rotary 1), and will come out CVOut2 when at or above the set threshold.

You can also use CVIn4 to determine the threshold value if you prefer.

Instructions are on the front of the Combinator.
You should be able to easily modify this to produce any value you want on those two outputs (the input CV value doesn't have to appear on the two outputs selected by the input CV - make sense?
If you have questions, ask here!

Threshold Switcher-CV2.cmb.zip
This is great!!! Thanks Selig. Very straightforward.

• Information