Drum Sequencer Note Length?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
napynap

20 Oct 2018

Is there a way to change the note length of the drum sequencer?

It's cutting off the tail parts of instruments like tamborines and hi-hats. I wrote a part in the drum sequencer and did a 'send to track'. When I analyze the note length, they are all 0.0.0.118. However, I need it to be more like 0.0.2.22. I know I could just send all the parts to track and adjust the length there, but I'm trying to keep everything within the drum sequencer so I can make changes such as slide, or shuffle as the song gets built. I couldn't find any mention of note length in the drum sequencer manual. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

edit: I'm using the drum sequencer to trigger some Dr. OctoRex slices of a tamborine loop.

I'm on Reason version 10.2d93.
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

MannequinRaces

21 Oct 2018

Is the tail that's getting cut off on a separate slice?

napynap

21 Oct 2018

MannequinRaces wrote:
21 Oct 2018
Is the tail that's getting cut off on a separate slice?
Yes, well, all of the slices aren't getting enough note length. I ended up turning up the Amp Release parameter on the Dr. OctoRex as a work around, the song will work now. However, I'm sure that won't work for other types of sounds triggered by the Drum Sequencer.

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2018

IF you change the "Speed" of the track the note length will scale. Basically it has a duty cycle of 50% ("gate length" in Thor Speak). So if you cut the Speed in half the notes are twice as long.

For example, at the default setting they are 1/32 length (half of the 1/16 note grid). So changing the Speed to "x0.5" gives you note lengths of 1/16th (twice as long). You'll need to program the pattern accordingly, but that's one way to get what you're asking for.
Selig Audio, LLC

napynap

23 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
21 Oct 2018
IF you change the "Speed" of the track the note length will scale. Basically it has a duty cycle of 50% ("gate length" in Thor Speak). So if you cut the Speed in half the notes are twice as long.

For example, at the default setting they are 1/32 length (half of the 1/16 note grid). So changing the Speed to "x0.5" gives you note lengths of 1/16th (twice as long). You'll need to program the pattern accordingly, but that's one way to get what you're asking for.
Selig,
OK I tried your suggestion and it does work for the percussion I was using. I also applied it to drum loops in Dr. Rex just to see what that would be like. In that case, I couldn't get it slow enough to play the whole loop. So that would be an example where a note length parameter would be a more comprehensive solution. Thanks for the response!

ljekio

23 Oct 2018

There idea for new Player RE? (transform input note lenght)
Or feature suggestion for Drum sequencer :)
By CV that tweakable but not by players now.

selig
RE Developer

23 Oct 2018

napynap wrote:
23 Oct 2018
selig wrote:
21 Oct 2018

Selig,
OK I tried your suggestion and it does work for the percussion I was using. I also applied it to drum loops in Dr. Rex just to see what that would be like. In that case, I couldn't get it slow enough to play the whole loop. So that would be an example where a note length parameter would be a more comprehensive solution. Thanks for the response!
OK, have to ask how and why you want or expect one note in a step sequencer to trigger an entire loop? Sounds like a job for a different device, not a drum sequencer. Your earlier request for not lengths of 0.0.2.22 would certainly not address this situation, right?

But here's one solution - not knowing exactly what you want - trigger C-1 on DrOctaRex with ANY length note and the whole loop will play. Not sure this is what you're asking, but that's how to trigger a loop without having to actually hold the note for the duration of the loop. Works great here - would that work for your situation?
Selig Audio, LLC

napynap

26 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
23 Oct 2018
napynap wrote:
23 Oct 2018

Selig,
OK, have to ask how and why you want or expect one note in a step sequencer to trigger an entire loop? Sounds like a job for a different device, not a drum sequencer. Your earlier request for not lengths of 0.0.2.22 would certainly not address this situation, right?

But here's one solution - not knowing exactly what you want - trigger C-1 on DrOctaRex with ANY length note and the whole loop will play. Not sure this is what you're asking, but that's how to trigger a loop without having to actually hold the note for the duration of the loop. Works great here - would that work for your situation?
Well, I originally wrote the part on a Dr Rex percussion loop using MIDI because I liked the varied natural sounds of the tamborine in that loop. However, it always felt a little bit behind and lagging with the beat, so I added a drum sequencer and tried to reconstruct it to take advantage of the drum sequencer's 'slide' parameter. This allowed me to move the loop to play slightly before the 1st beat of the bar, and grooved a lot better that way. I could have done something similar by just manually sliding the MIDI clips a few ticks before the bar started, but that wasn't allowing as much flexibility for arrangement changes while writing. As for your solution, the loop would not play on one trigger because the amp release was not allowing that, so as mentioned previously, I just extended that parameter to accomplish what you describe.

• Information