weird behaviour of the kong compressor when exporting

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Chizmata

20 Oct 2018

this is happening in reason 5

lets say i compress a kick loop. i export the track with the kick loop running from the very beginning on, but instead of being right there, the loop fades in slowly.

i broke it down to the following: at the beginning of the exported file, 127 compression seems to be in effect for no reason, then slides down to the actual set amount (20 in my case), with the speed of the release time (127 in my case). this only happens once, at the very beginning, then the compressor behaves normally.

it does not happen while playing the track in reason and it also does not happen when the drum loop kicks in after the set release time of the compressor (127 here) is over (counting from start of the export). when the first kick kicks in after half of the first release time, it will still fade in a bit but not as much. when the release time is lowered, the fade in is shorter. compressor attack time is set to zero and has no effect on this. the problem is gone when i export with the compressor off. i have no automations running.

this also happens when you export a loop from the middle of the track.

can anyone enlighten me whats going on or even provide a solution/workaround? thx.
Last edited by Chizmata on 20 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Loque

20 Oct 2018

As far as i understand, you have max Attack and max Release times for the compressor. That measn, it attacks slowling and releases slowly. While you "play" your song, i think the compressor did not yet released while it had attacked some time ago. Now, when you render it, the device will be reset before, and the compressor should kick in slowly, and releases slowly, which means in a fading out and beeing quiter than depending on the amount of compression.

Did i missed something?
Reason12, Win10

Chizmata

20 Oct 2018

attack is set to zero. sorry i forgot to mention that. thats not it but thx

selig
RE Developer

20 Oct 2018

This looks like a bug to me, I can reproduce it easily with a bounce in place.

There’s no reason it should behave like this, even with a long release time. The reason is that with a long release time, the level should stay low as long as audio is present. BUT, in this case it starts low and then raises slowly to the “correct” level. The only way it can raise slowly like that is if the audio falls below the threshold, which is not what’s happening here.

When not bouncing this is not reproducible. I’ve tried setting release to the fastest, then back to the slowest and hitting play. I’ve tried waiting 30 seconds for it to “reset” fully, then hitting play. I can find no way to reproduce this unless I bounce, in which case it happens every time.

Just as a side note, it’s a common misconception that the attack and release stage happens like with a synth, that is to say that after the threshold is crossed the attack is in effect until it completes the attack stage, then nothing else happens with regards to attack/release until the signal falls back below the threshold (when the release stage kicks in).

This is not at all what actually happens in a compressor. What actually happens is that whenever the signal is over the threshold, the attack time affects all RISING signals and the release time affects all FALLING signals.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Chizmata

21 Oct 2018

ok so its a bug. thanks for clearing that up. i'll have to look for workaround - its probably no good idea to wait for a reason 5 patch. but if they should actually make one, they should also look into this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7505920&p=382945#p382945

tanni

21 Oct 2018

you should make a bug report to propellerheads I think.....

Loque

21 Oct 2018

Chizmata wrote:
21 Oct 2018
how do i do that?
Try this:
https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-us/requests/

The other supprt sites are down, probably not yet moed from se domain.
Reason12, Win10

• Information