Dragging and dropping regions from a sample into Reason.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
withnail

20 Oct 2018

Hi,

I use Reaper sometimes and it shows you the waveform in it's sample browser and allows you to select a region from the waveform and drop it into the sequencer.
With Reason I can only see how you can drag and drop an entire sample into my song, often I have long field recordings of several minutes and I just want to take a short 2 seconds or so.
This means I've got a massive sample being saved along with the song and when I get enough in Reason starts to not play samples or not stretch them (RAM running out I think).
My solution is Resonic Pro that allows you to select a region and drag and drop it into other applications.

Before I go ahead and spend out on that does anyone solve this problem another way.

I thought my prayers were more than answered with Samplism that allows dragging and dropping of selection from a wave form and would also auto sort my samples but sadly this is Mac only and I'm on a PC.

Cheers
WN

deigm

24 Oct 2018

I would also like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

I've looked at Resonic Pro for the same reason but boy is it pricey when I only want it for that one feature.

deigm

29 Oct 2018

Withnail.

https://audiohelperproject.com/products/samplism/

I found that posted in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7509160

After watching the promo video it looks to have a drag and drop feature for specific selections of a waveform.

Thought you might find that useful.

prophecy

29 Oct 2018

I'm a newbie/beginner so forgive me if this is miles off, but could you not trim/select the sample in Audacity, then copy or export that in to Reason?
Reason 10 Lite | Surface Pro 3 i5 | Akai MPK Mini II | Yamaha Clavinova CVP5 | Fingers | Ears |

deigm

29 Oct 2018

Yup. And that works just fine. But a more streamline solution makes it faster and easier to audition lots of samples you may not be 100 percent committed to yet.

Also saves a ton of time if you're like me and regularly sample from your music collection. Less steps is always better.

Sorry Withnail just noticed your OP already mentioned my suggestion. :oops:

WongoTheSane

29 Oct 2018

Don't forget that you can also remove unused portions of a sample from a song by bouncing and optimizing. Say you imported a 10mn clip on a track but only kept two bars from it. If you save the song as is, it will be as at least as large as the original sample. But do this:

- Right-click on the clip and select "Bounce to new recordings".
- Right-click again and select "Deleted unused recordings".
- Finally, select "Save and optimize" in the "File" menu.

Your song now only contains the part of the sample that's actually used. I find it faster than editing the sample outside (and quite a bit more convenient too, as you can still play around with the editing as long as you haven't deleted the unused recordings).

• Information