Glitch on tempo change with Delay?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rgdaniel

08 Oct 2018

For ages, I've noticed that a glitchy wobbly sound is produced when the tempo of a track changes while playing a sound that has a delay present. For example, in a new document, create a simple 4 bar loop playing a couple of long chords in a pad patch. Add a DDL-1 delay to the rack below the pad, default 3-step setting. Introduce a tempo change automation halfway along, first half is 120, second half is 90, say. At the point of transition, there will be a wobbly sound.

Is this just how delays work and I should just suck it up? Do ALL delays do this? (About to try some other delays, but I have the simple DDL-1 set up in my default template, so I always notice it there).

selig
RE Developer

08 Oct 2018

You can avoid this effect with The Echo, by using the “KEEP PITCH” button., though with a tempo change that big you may still hear a small glitch if audio is in the delay buffer when making the tempo change.

To COMPLETELY avoid this issue with long delays and larger tempo changes, you can use two delays: one for the first tempo, and the other for the second tempo. Then automate the sends to switch at the tempo change - make sense?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

rgdaniel

08 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
08 Oct 2018
You can avoid this effect with The Echo, by using the “KEEP PITCH” button., though with a tempo change that big you may still hear a small glitch if audio is in the delay buffer when making the tempo change.

To COMPLETELY avoid this issue with long delays and larger tempo changes, you can use two delays: one for the first tempo, and the other for the second tempo. Then automate the sends to switch at the tempo change - make sense?
Well that "KEEP PITCH" button was the secret sauce, worked great. However, automating two DDL-1's off/on as described did not work at all for some reason. And is probably more trouble than I would want to go to in context. I think I'll just update my template to use the Echo... Boom, solved... Thanks for the help!

selig
RE Developer

08 Oct 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
selig wrote:
08 Oct 2018

Well that "KEEP PITCH" button was the secret sauce, worked great. However, automating two DDL-1's off/on as described did not work at all for some reason. And is probably more trouble than I would want to go to in context. I think I'll just update my template to use the Echo... Boom, solved... Thanks for the help!
Sorry if I wasn’t clear - I meant to suggest automating the sends, not the delays. If you automate the delays it won’t work.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

rgdaniel

08 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
08 Oct 2018
Sorry if I wasn’t clear - I meant to suggest automating the sends, not the delays. If you automate the delays it won’t work.
I first tried with two DDL-1's in the rack, directly under my instrument, automating their ON/Bypass switches, but there was a click and a gap at the transitions, so I then tried automating their Wet/Dry knobs, one wet while the other is dry and vice versa, but no joy there either. So then I ditched the in-line DDL-1's added a second DDL-1 to my main mixer sends, and automated the Send off/on buttons similarly, one off while the other on. Still glitched out. Then I tried a single Echo as a main mixer send, and that worked like a charm. No whoopdy whoops. Some overlap of sounds at the tempo change, I think, but with the pitch not warbling all over the place it's not really a problem.

selig
RE Developer

08 Oct 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
08 Oct 2018
selig wrote:
08 Oct 2018
I first tried with two DDL-1's in the rack, directly under my instrument, automating their ON/Bypass switches, but there was a click and a gap at the transitions, so I then tried automating their Wet/Dry knobs, one wet while the other is dry and vice versa, but no joy there either. So then I ditched the in-line DDL-1's added a second DDL-1 to my main mixer sends, and automated the Send off/on buttons similarly, one off while the other on. Still glitched out. Then I tried a single Echo as a main mixer send, and that worked like a charm. No whoopdy whoops. Some overlap of sounds at the tempo change, I think, but with the pitch not warbling all over the place it's not really a problem.
Glad you got it sorted - fwiw, you cannot just mute a send or bypass a delay in the middle of a note, so maybe I didn't understand your specific situation when giving the "two delay" option for using the DDL-1s. There are other workarounds, such as fading one send out as the other fades in, but none are a simple as just using The Echo in Keep Pitch mode.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information