I wish Props would make a new Mixer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Heigen5

07 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
07 Oct 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
Yours looks cleaner. But yeah, one way to get more space for the labels would use space vertically.
Not sure your point. Let’s talk features, not fine tuning the text placement, size, and color…kinda getting the cart before the horse!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
This was one of my reasons to have a new one in the first place, a bigger and better overview of the GUI. But other features I have already posted were: audio outs for every channel and 8 send/returns.
Maybe all the send devices should go into a collapsable/expandable container too.

As of built-in effects, I'm not sure how important they are, but why not.

Edit: Might be cool to have an expandable/collapsable master effect section top of it all with phasers, flangers, filters etc and maybe LFO-bank to move em in sync.

Creativemind

07 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
07 Oct 2018
Heigen5 wrote:
07 Oct 2018

Yeah, indeed, we all have our own needs. But feel free to recommend your needs here as well, propably Props would put the most useful ones into it then. ;) And like I said, I'm totally happy with the SSL, but would like a new one for a Rack this time.
Here's mine, as previously described and crudely drawn:
Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 11.49.04 AM.png
That looks really cool. Just think the perimeter of the parameters (use that in a sentence again lol!) could be a bit better / snazzier looking. Guess this is the first draft though.

So is this something you've just designed or had an idea for before and how much would an Re like this be priced at? I'd be severely tempted. I would say either €19.99 or €29.99?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

07 Oct 2018

Creativemind wrote:
selig wrote:
07 Oct 2018
That looks really cool. Just think the perimeter of the parameters (use that in a sentence again lol!) could be a bit better / snazzier looking. Guess this is the first draft though.

So is this something you've just designed or had an idea for before and how much would an Re like this be priced at? I'd be severely tempted. I would say either €19.99 or €29.99?
I spent like 5 minutes hacking together an example of the features I suggested, not in ANY way a “design” to be critiqued. Colors, text, knobs, textures, placement, etc. would only be necessary to work out after deciding on the purpose and functions included in the device.

For example, you could alternatively expand the device vertically to add more sends. This mockup just shows what would fit in a two space device, and something that would fill the needs I have when working in a Combinator e.g., something between the Line Mixer and the 14:2 mixer.

Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

07 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
07 Oct 2018
Creativemind wrote:

I spent like 5 minutes hacking together an example of the features I suggested, not in ANY way a “design” to be critiqued. Colors, text, knobs, textures, placement, etc. would only be necessary to work out after deciding on the purpose and functions included in the device.

For example, you could alternatively expand the device vertically to add more sends. This mockup just shows what would fit in a two space device, and something that would fill the needs I have when working in a Combinator e.g., something between the Line Mixer and the 14:2 mixer.

Still looks good though. What did you design / draw it on?

You can't expand / open up Re's either can you to allow faders?
Last edited by Creativemind on 07 Oct 2018, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

selig
RE Developer

07 Oct 2018

Creativemind wrote: Still looks good though. What did you design / draw it on?
I use KeyNote (presentation software for Mac) for all product ideas and mockups since I can combine images from Reason (like the screws and meters) with graphics and text and animations.

Selig Audio, LLC

rgdaniel

07 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
07 Oct 2018
Looks great!

Unlike the SSL, the BACK of a rack item is a factor as well. I wonder if you mocked up something for the back? Seems like a lot of ins and outs in a fairly small space.

selig
RE Developer

07 Oct 2018

rgdaniel wrote:
07 Oct 2018
selig wrote:
07 Oct 2018
Looks great!

Unlike the SSL, the BACK of a rack item is a factor as well. I wonder if you mocked up something for the back? Seems like a lot of ins and outs in a fairly small space.
Indeed, maybe too small for every possible I/O. But the bigger you make it for the front, the more stuff you add, and the more I/O you need on the back. One solution would be to stick to 8 channels instead, something that is the purpose of these mockups in the first place (testing ideas to see if they really work or not).

OK, here's an even quicker and crappier back panel mockup for the 10 channel, 2U mixer, showing that possibly this would need to be expanded to 3U and maybe also reduced to 8 channels:
Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 2.33.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 2.33.18 PM.png (212.11 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
Selig Audio, LLC

Heigen5

07 Oct 2018

Selig, maybe those sends should not traditionally be there over the right, but also collapsably/expandadly somewhere in a container. I quess I'm a big collapse/expand fan. It would free more space wouldn't it? :)
And vertical placing would also make it possible to have more features.

dan_g

08 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
07 Oct 2018
Selig,

that looks very nice for a first idea. i would indeed have a use for this improved line mixer. especially for usage in a combinator for layered synth patches and all kinds of other layering.

to the others, why focus on details wenn the main thing gets fleshed out atm? sure there are very specific ideas how this thing could look. but the main features matter a bit more, i would think :)

Greetings
Daniel
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

C//AZM

09 Oct 2018

LP and HP low and hi pass? as in filters
Or LF and HF low and hi freq? as in treble and bass?

Nice mock-Up.

ltbrunt00

09 Oct 2018

I forgot the 14/2 was still in Reason thanks for the reminder.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

selig
RE Developer

09 Oct 2018

C//AZM wrote:LP and HP low and hi pass? as in filters

Nice mock-Up.
I’m still not 100% sure what I would choose.

At first I was thinking EQ shelves, then realized filters would possibly be more useful. If there was space I would allow them to be switched individually from filters to EQs. Yes, EQ is the “safer” solution, just testing the idea of filters.

What could you use more (if there was no option for switching), shelving EQ or LP/HP filters (or some other possible combination)?

Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

10 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
09 Oct 2018
C//AZM wrote:LP and HP low and hi pass? as in filters

Nice mock-Up.
I’m still not 100% sure what I would choose.

At first I was thinking EQ shelves, then realized filters would possibly be more useful. If there was space I would allow them to be switched individually from filters to EQs. Yes, EQ is the “safer” solution, just testing the idea of filters.

What could you use more (if there was no option for switching), shelving EQ or LP/HP filters (or some other possible combination)?

For an in rack mixer? Probably HP/LP because the props 14:2 rack mixer has treble/bass. HP/LP would be different enough and I would use it as an over all sound sculpting tool on a redrum or a bunch of looping samples . Plus having CV control the freq... count me in!

selig
RE Developer

10 Oct 2018

C//AZM wrote: For an in rack mixer? Probably HP/LP because the props 14:2 rack mixer has treble/bass. HP/LP would be different enough and I would use it as an over all sound sculpting tool on a redrum or a bunch of looping samples . Plus having CV control the freq... count me in!
Thinking about it further, it could also be a hybrid design, where the lower rotation of the knob operates the filter cutoff and the upper rotation provides a shelf boost. May make more sense for the high band, since the low band would have to operate backwards for the filter/cut (no effect at 12:00, gradually increasing frequency as the knobs turns to the left).

Another option is to make it one space taller and add a switch for each going between shelf EQ and filters. You may also be able to gain two more sends, with at least one offering “pre fader” option if it was useful.

Assuming most folks would want this for use in a Combinator, what would be the top “must have” features: how many channels, sends, EQ/Filter needs, master section, I/O, etc.?

Selig Audio, LLC

esselfortium

10 Oct 2018

Personally, I think all I *really* need out of an updated in-rack mixer is for the 14:2 to add another step to the EQ compat switch on its back, to change the EQ into a highpass/lowpass filter.

Well, okay, somehow supporting moving multiple faders at once like the SSL would be useful, too...
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

10 Oct 2018

esselfortium wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Personally, I think all I *really* need out of an updated in-rack mixer is for the 14:2 to add another step to the EQ compat switch on its back, to change the EQ into a highpass/lowpass filter.

Well, okay, somehow supporting moving multiple faders at once like the SSL would be useful, too...
Grouped faders is a great suggestion!
Do you often need more than 8-10 channels ( I have never used that many since the SSL mixer was introduced)?
I guess I keep trying to find a way to "sneak" in a master compressor clone to address that current lack in the native Reason world (come on Props, you already got the code, just port it already!), which requires giving up a few channels to make room.

You also made me realize another needed "upgrade" would be for the faders and sends to read in decibels (and automate in decibels too).
Selig Audio, LLC

esselfortium

10 Oct 2018

I don't think I generally need more than 8-10 channels in a rack mixer, no. At this point my primary use for the rack mixers is the RDK combis, which I'm too lazy to route out to the SSL every time. I probably ought to just do that, though.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

selig
RE Developer

12 Oct 2018

esselfortium wrote:
10 Oct 2018
I don't think I generally need more than 8-10 channels in a rack mixer, no. At this point my primary use for the rack mixers is the RDK combis, which I'm too lazy to route out to the SSL every time. I probably ought to just do that, though.
I just end up turning all the other stuff off and using the 14:2 mixer with RDK. I have a few kits I've modified, but there's no way to save them with Mix Channels so I basically gave up! ;)

Here's a new take on the rack mixer idea, spreading out to 3U and getting closer to the functionality of the 14:2 than the Line Mixer.
Differences: No "pre fader" on send 4 (but there ARE direct outs), added "polarity" and the ability to switch between Low/High Shelf vs Filter for each band.
Could be the Master Inserts are less useful than a Master Level CV, so there's that alternative possibility. Also, no "chaining" for sends or master - would need to be 4U, or reduce channel count to "8" to accommodate.
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.53.47 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.53.47 AM.png (698.78 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.53.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-12 at 11.53.54 AM.png (541.87 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information