Channel Grouping/Nudge Conflict

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
skie

02 Oct 2018

The Shift key is maybe my most used key as it enables you to fine tune, or "nudge" parameter values in small increments. But the Shift key is also how you group channels together. I'm finding that, more often than not, when I go to nudge a fader (holding shift key while dragging with mouse) a different channel is already selected, so by holding down Shift and nudging the target fader it groups all the faders in between the two together and adjusts them. So now I have to do an extra mouse click to select the channel first before I can nudge the fader without grouping a bunch of random faders together?

I did some damage to a mix when I first installed 10.2 because I didnt' realize I was adjusting multiple faders at once due to the new grouping workflow. It was a good hour before I realized what was happening and it was too late to go back. It sucks if I have to select the channel first before nudging every time now to avoid unintended grouping. Anybody know of a workaround?

selig
RE Developer

02 Oct 2018

Easiest way is to click on the fader and THEN add SHIFT, unless you are fine tuning a group of faders, in which case you shift click on the last fader you selected so as not to change the group.

A similar thing used to happen to me when dragging a group of devices without auto-routing (holding shift while dragging prevents auto-route) and/or copying (adding "option" when dragging). Again, the solution there was to click on the device first, add shift, THEN drag. Otherwise I was de-selecting the last device before dragging - did this for over a year before I figured out why sometimes not all of the devices were included in this maneuver. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

skie

02 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
02 Oct 2018
Easiest way is to click on the fader and THEN add SHIFT, unless you are fine tuning a group of faders, in which case you shift click on the last fader you selected so as not to change the group.

A similar thing used to happen to me when dragging a group of devices without auto-routing (holding shift while dragging prevents auto-route) and/or copying (adding "option" when dragging). Again, the solution there was to click on the device first, add shift, THEN drag. Otherwise I was de-selecting the last device before dragging - did this for over a year before I figured out why sometimes not all of the devices were included in this maneuver. ;)
OK perfect, this makes good sense! Click fader first then shift. Phew!! I knew there had to be a way!

skie

04 Oct 2018

Update: I hate it again. I always find a way to adjust group faders when i only mean to adjust 1. Couldn't they have used Shift instead of Control to group? Or some other lesser used key?? Its like they did this to say here's your silly grouping you requested, we told you it would suck but you didn't care (I'm sure that's not what they are really thinking lol)

selig
RE Developer

04 Oct 2018

skie wrote:
04 Oct 2018
Update: I hate it again. I always find a way to adjust group faders when i only mean to adjust 1. Couldn't they have used Shift instead of Control to group? Or some other lesser used key?? Its like they did this to say here's your silly grouping you requested, we told you it would suck but you didn't care (I'm sure that's not what they are really thinking lol)
I'm not sure exactly what you're running into, but I suggested a more "obvious" indication of multiple selected channels (maybe a hot pink rectangle around the grouped faders, so that you KNOW they are grouped? Would that address you issue of accidentally adjusting the group?

In Pro Tools, you group faders as a separate command from selecting channels, and you override any active group with a modifier key. That way you can always adjust a single fader OR the group, without first selecting OR de-selecting. But many folks specifically requested fader grouping by selection, and so it is.

It's just that a group of selected channels already means one thing, and now it ALSO means another (but there's no visual indication of this change). Give us SOME visual indication faders are grouped so we can be "informed" and not make mistakes. Pretty please?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

skie

04 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
04 Oct 2018

I'm not sure exactly what you're running into, but I suggested a more "obvious" indication of multiple selected channels (maybe a hot pink rectangle around the grouped faders, so that you KNOW they are grouped? Would that address you issue of accidentally adjusting the group?

In Pro Tools, you group faders as a separate command from selecting channels, and you override any active group with a modifier key. That way you can always adjust a single fader OR the group, without first selecting OR de-selecting. But many folks specifically requested fader grouping by selection, and so it is.

It's just that a group of selected channels already means one thing, and now it ALSO means another (but there's no visual indication of this change). Give us SOME visual indication faders are grouped so we can be "informed" and not make mistakes. Pretty please?
:)
That would be nice. Maybe its just my workflow-I only use the group function maybe two or three times in a whole project. It seems like this was designed for someone who groups just as much as they nudge and that definitely isn't me. The hot pink would surely help.

• Information