Has your Workflow changed/Improved Since reason 10?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Reasonable man

30 Sep 2018

I'm Just interested if the synths, drums (Grain Europa ,Drum Sequencer /send notes to track etc etc ) has brought around change.
Maybe you prefer to stick to tried and tested older reason ways (presuming your a reason vetern of course) or maybe you just concentrate your workflow around VST's and the new stuff hasn't made a blind bit of difference.

For me its the drum sequencer . This device was free for a period of time so alot of people have it (obviously not everyone). I work drums exclusivly in the drum sequencer player now and if i'm honest i'd be lost without it...i'm never goin back to the main Reason sequencer lane again for drums.
I bought Umph on sale (The 'actual' price is a bit scandlous tbf) and its a good combination for me . I use 2 Umphs in a combi with two drum sequencers now and have (of course) applied Poobear's excellent method of programming the pattern changes with a combi button from Thor's curve (if anyone is too lazy to do this i' can post that combi here but it really is just a case of swapping out kong for umph!)'
Love Europa ..havn't had the time to get into Grains yet but its next on the list.
The ghost note editing is cool but if im honest i'm not sure i'll need it too often (just me). I know vst performance is beeing looked into but my only minor gripe is the same .......its performance (including rack ext's). Vk-2 is my current fav synth but 70 perecent of the combies of vk-2 wont play a full bar before stuttering ....and thats just 1 reason combi ! and i know that this is a 50/50 problem but i have found this alot with various intensive Re's . If you cant get to the end of one bar sometimes it makes it difficult to sample these sounds into the nn=xt in order to use in a less intensive way .
Anyway thats my only little gripe. The new stuff (drums and synths) are fanatastic and had made a masiive impact on me for time saving and sonic goodness ..so big credit to the Ph's in that regard.

Loque

30 Sep 2018

Tbh the biggest change for me was VST support. Now I hear how good and unique some synths and fx can sound. Europa is very good and Grain too, but here and there they feel limited, but sound is very good.

The workflow did not realy changed. Now with ghost notes from other tracks things will be much easier.

My know how and my ears have changed in the last years. I still love the rack, its inspiring, it's unique. The sequencer becomes more and more a problem to me today, which i see as the working area for a song.
Reason12, Win10

Noplan
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2018

I'm getting used to changes so fast that I can not remember old workflows anymore. All in all, I would say that I do not write songs faster because of the new features. Most of the time is lost to creativity and a vision, not the workflow. Of course, there are still some improvements that would boost my creativity, because every project would be more enjoyable and I could focus on the essential, rather than, for example, having to clean up projects to go on. I'd rather learn to handle it instead of worrying about it, because negativity is my No. 1 creativity killer.

antic604

30 Sep 2018

Yes! Before, I never used Reason ;) :P

Rason

30 Sep 2018

I realized I no longer spend time on the back of the rack. I used to build my ' own' synths using splitters, cv tools, blamsoft modular etc bcs none of the Re synths I had, had the signal path done the way I wanted. I mean maximum control on the oscillator level, creative modulation etc. I usually needed to go outside the box. But Europa is the thing I always wanted. It is logical. For example I always liked the idea of voice unison, but why do most synth have it as the overall effect? I dont want to mess around with all my oscs. Europa is racional and super efficient. When I saw it I disliked the poor backpanel but now mostly I dont even use the mod matrix bcs the sound is fine before getting to it. It could do FM cross engines or modulate the graphical envelopes yeah but do we even need it? So my flow has changed a lot, I noticed I have lost some speed when playing on the back. :-) For me R10 is mainly Europa and I am still happy like the first day I got it.

sent using Tapatalk

xylyx

30 Sep 2018

The biggest addition that made me upgrade to R10, was the Player devices, as they have allowed an alternative way to play with the note side of things. The free CV Player Tap has extended my usage various CV devices, like Korde, Propulsion and the good old Matrix...

WeLoveYouToo

30 Sep 2018

i haven’t touched the players since the first days of trying out my new toy.
the new synths, hrain and europa, have definitly taken over. i even switch them out in some older songs with thors because they are so good.
the tuned percussion and world instrument players are also used in almost every song i write.
as for actual workflow i dont think anything really dramatic changed in 10 from 9.5... 10.2 just now gave me ability to see other track’s midi notes which helps alot, especially when composing a string quartet or something.

PhillipOrdonez

30 Sep 2018

Europa and grain have basically monopolised the rack, Thor barely gets touched and now I mostly use it for noises and the step sequencer. Additionally, like xylyx, the players and CV tap have opened a new world for me; there is no new project I work with that isn't loaded with player devices everywhere. I also use vsts now, which i had not touched for nearly a decade... Also am making music faster than ever! Although that could be attributed to the years of experience, but now with the latest workflow update, it has definitely made the process even quicker.

It has changed and improved a lot!

groggy1

30 Sep 2018

If we go back to 9.5, you could say that VST changed my workflow.

But as far as 10 goes: For sure the Drum Player has greatly changed how quickly I put drum patterns together.

Also, the Tutorial sidebar in 10.2 has really improved my workflow. (just kidding)

guitfnky

01 Oct 2018

honestly, the auto-return to the start position when you stop is the biggest improvement for workflow for me in a while. it seems like such a small thing, but I'm finding it much easier to record new/alternate takes in the same section now. it's f#$%^ great! :D
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Ahornberg

01 Oct 2018

I think with 10.2 my workflow will change a bit (multiple fader changes, multiple midi clip edit).

Jagwah

01 Oct 2018

Yes I find the new features become part of my workflow.

I use the chords Player all the time, now with ghost clips this will be much better.

Europa is my go to, and while I haven't had the need for it much lately whenever I use Grain I get very satisfying results.

I went blue and never went back :) Anyone still using bright white sequencer?

expresso

01 Oct 2018

Tremendously the more I dig into it all. Multiple Grains are used every track now, Europa is used often for when I wanna make a lead or bass real quick and don't wanna turn my hardware on. The return to start on stop is helping a lot too. I've also bought some great REs this year like the RX-950, RE-160, and the Launchbox & Polyvoks filter plus the Reelbus v4 VST from Reelbus have all made my Reason experience much smoother and I can lay out a great track faster than ever in my 9 years of producing with Reason.

ltbrunt00

01 Oct 2018

The work flow changes are nice but for me VST was the biggest feature that I use.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Ahornberg

01 Oct 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Oct 2018
The work flow changes are nice but for me VST was the biggest feature that I use.
Yes, VST integration made me stick to Reason.

Loque

01 Oct 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
01 Oct 2018
ltbrunt00 wrote:
01 Oct 2018
Yes, VST integration made me stick to Reason.
Yep...a few months later and i had switched. All the free VST stuff was worth the price for a new DAW.
Reason12, Win10

jlgrimes

01 Oct 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
30 Sep 2018
I'm Just interested if the synths, drums (Grain Europa ,Drum Sequencer /send notes to track etc etc ) has brought around change.
Maybe you prefer to stick to tried and tested older reason ways (presuming your a reason vetern of course) or maybe you just concentrate your workflow around VST's and the new stuff hasn't made a blind bit of difference.

For me its the drum sequencer . This device was free for a period of time so alot of people have it (obviously not everyone). I work drums exclusivly in the drum sequencer player now and if i'm honest i'd be lost without it...i'm never goin back to the main Reason sequencer lane again for drums.
I bought Umph on sale (The 'actual' price is a bit scandlous tbf) and its a good combination for me . I use 2 Umphs in a combi with two drum sequencers now and have (of course) applied Poobear's excellent method of programming the pattern changes with a combi button from Thor's curve (if anyone is too lazy to do this i' can post that combi here but it really is just a case of swapping out kong for umph!)'
Love Europa ..havn't had the time to get into Grains yet but its next on the list.
The ghost note editing is cool but if im honest i'm not sure i'll need it too often (just me). I know vst performance is beeing looked into but my only minor gripe is the same .......its performance (including rack ext's). Vk-2 is my current fav synth but 70 perecent of the combies of vk-2 wont play a full bar before stuttering ....and thats just 1 reason combi ! and i know that this is a 50/50 problem but i have found this alot with various intensive Re's . If you cant get to the end of one bar sometimes it makes it difficult to sample these sounds into the nn=xt in order to use in a less intensive way .
Anyway thats my only little gripe. The new stuff (drums and synths) are fanatastic and had made a masiive impact on me for time saving and sonic goodness ..so big credit to the Ph's in that regard.
Drum Sequencer is dope Probably one of the most useful devices the Props made.

I will say Grain is a very cool instrument. It kind of replaced the NN19 for me (at least for my purposes).

Europa is a nice synth as well. Probably one of the most powerful synths in a DAW especially since they allowed user wavetables.

Both synths for Reason are workflow improvements (for EDM musicians at least). Europa gets modern sounds fairly easily, Grain mangles samples fairly easily. Getting these type of sounds would have been a lot harder on older stock Reason devices and Reason was kind of known for it's DIY approach to things. Europa and Grain makes a lot of new synth programming easier.

I will also say that on 10.3 at least for a Mac, RE performance seemed to improve. Certain hoggy REs doesn't seem to be overloading the processor as much. They seem more "Reasonlike" (in a good way), where you don't flinch when you think adding this device will make you hear a pop or click. Performance increases are workflow improvements in themselves.

If VST performance gets up to par, Reason 10 will be a very good upgrade.

jlgrimes

01 Oct 2018

guitfnky wrote:
01 Oct 2018
honestly, the auto-return to the start position when you stop is the biggest improvement for workflow for me in a while. it seems like such a small thing, but I'm finding it much easier to record new/alternate takes in the same section now. it's f#$%^ great! :D
Its always the simple things that are the best.

kuhliloach

01 Oct 2018

yes - much better on the new version especially simultaneous fader moves and jumping from sequencer to device. Although it feels very remedial it's better late than never to get Reason up to speed with these elementary functions. Imagine eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for many years but for some reason there is no peanut butter. But you just keep eating jelly sandwiches and imagining there is peanut butter. Then one day, finally, there is peanut butter.

ast3rix

03 Oct 2018

I'm going to be 100% honest here. I have been a Reason user since version 5, however in the beginning I was rewiring reason with Pro Tools 8. The horror... is all I can say... It was a real bear keeping track of what rack devices I used with what session and having to name my reason sessions in combination with the song I was working on in Pro Tools. I was absolutely happy when Record was introduced in version 6...sure it was no Pro tools, but it sure did allow me to do the basics. I have now migrated over to Reason 100% for my production. I love the addition of VST's and went Ape **** nuts and bought everything I could find. I'm like a little kid in the candy shop I have so many sound choices now I don't know what to do... hence my new problem. I really need better sound organization. Those folders I created for all my Reason patches... ain't cutting it anymore. I really need a solution for both now. When I start a session now... it really depends on how I'm feeling... I may choose an RE or I may choose a VST... or end up with both.

• Information