Render Reason GUI with OpenGL/Vulkan?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Breach The Sky

29 Sep 2018

So I recently bought VPS Avenger. It's gui is rendered using OpenGL, I think. It feels soooo nice on "high fps" mode. Just imagine, if the gui (and rack extension guis) could be as smooth.
I'm no engineer, but wouldn't that relive the CPU from having to also render the gui, which would help the performance?

I have never heard of a DAW that does this? Maybe it's not feasible, what do I know.

antic604

29 Sep 2018

Breach The Sky wrote:
29 Sep 2018
I'm no engineer, but wouldn't that relive the CPU from having to also render the gui, which would help the performance?
Yes, definitely! It would be like a free performance improvement!
Breach The Sky wrote:
29 Sep 2018
I have never heard of a DAW that does this? Maybe it's not feasible, what do I know.
Definitely FL does this, Live at least partially as well. Bitwig devs have a working prototype, but Apple's withdrawal from OpenGL delayed implementation of it...

Breach The Sky

29 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
29 Sep 2018
Yes, definitely! It would be like a free performance improvement!
Yeah, I tought so. I don't know what kind of rendering Reason uses, I only know some REs feels very lagy, in my experience. Especially those custom display widgets.

jam-s

30 Sep 2018

Can't wait for the noisy GPU fan to spin up as well when doing audio work... ;)

But really, if the Props redo the GUI they should think about implementing it using modern 3D graphics api like vulkan/mantle.

aeox
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2018

jam-s wrote:
30 Sep 2018

But really, if the Props redo the GUI they should think about implementing it using modern 3D graphics api like vulkan/mantle.
Just use passive cooling :D

antic604

30 Sep 2018

jam-s wrote:
30 Sep 2018
I don't think rendering a 2D bitmaps and few animated elemenets would make even a low-end GPU kick up the fans. And in turn I'm pretty sure anyone would gladly welcome 5-10% more CPU juice :)

Loque

30 Sep 2018

This would free a complete core, more or less. And my gfx board can handle way more stuff than my cpu, gfx wise.
Reason12, Win10

• Information