Using the Laptop Mic for recording

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
PhilP88

29 Sep 2018

Hi guys,
I wanted to ask if you know how I could use my Laptop mic to record audio in Reason 10 Essentials? It's a Windows 10 Laptop.
Thanks
Phil

joeyluck

29 Sep 2018

I'm on macOS, but can try to help. Not sure how much you already know, so will outline everything just in case.

First, you'll want to assign the mic as your Audio Device.

Under Reason Preferences > Audio Device
Select your built-in microphone.

On macOS, I can select "Built-in Microphone + Built-in Output" — a default aggregate device. I can also create an aggregate device via macOS's Audio/MIDI Setup, if I want the playback to come from somewhere else. There might be a way to do this on Windows with additional software/drivers. Of course, if using a built-in output along with a built-in mic, remember to use headphones if monitoring at the same time :puf_smile:

Then you will Create an Audio Track
Either drag the Audio Track device from Utilities in the Browser into the Rack or via the 'Create' menu

By default, the audio input should be assigned to the Audio Device you defined in Reason Preferences.
You can check this by unfolding the device via the arrow on the left side of the device. You'll then see 'Audio Input' options available in a drop down for that Audio Track.

Next, just make sure record is enabled for that track in the Sequencer.

If you want to monitor at the same time, make sure the speaker icon is on for that track. I believe Reason's default is that Monitoring is set to 'automatic.' On a side note, you can change the Monitoring behavior via Reason Preferences > Audio > Monitoring. I have it set to manual for the very reason of not causing feedback those few times I use the Built-in Microphone with the Built-in Output.

Hope that helps!

jlgrimes

01 Oct 2018

PhilP88 wrote:
29 Sep 2018
Hi guys,
I wanted to ask if you know how I could use my Laptop mic to record audio in Reason 10 Essentials? It's a Windows 10 Laptop.
Thanks
Phil
I think by default your mic is setup as an input. It probably is the only input you would have on a laptop PC with no audio interface.

When you create an audio track in Reason, do you see meters move on the tracks when you talk?

EnochLight

01 Oct 2018

Just a heads up for all Windows users: Reason requires an ASIO driver to record audio (whether it’s from your laptop mic or an audio interface).

@OP: if your laptop doesn’t have ASIO drivers, install the free ASIO4ALL drivers to have your mic be available as an input.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information