Upcoming Reason 10.x update to address VST-Performance: how much is good enough for you?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Upcoming Reason 10.x update to address VST-Performance: how much is good enough for you?

Poll ended at 06 Jan 2019

Reason must perform better than (more than 100%) most other DAW on the market
11%
Reason must perform as good as (100%) or comparable (+ or - 10%) to most other DAW on the market
56%
Reason must perform at least (75%-90%) as good as most other DAW on the market
33%

Total votes: 85
scratchnsnifff

30 Sep 2018

Does updates vst performance all around mean that it’s possible for the props to add sample drag and drop to vst?

That’s the one thing that I have a hard time with when it comes to vst
I’d love to just drag samples to my wavetable synths instead of doing this process the old way
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Arrant
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2018

scratchnsnifff wrote:
30 Sep 2018
Does updates vst performance all around mean that it’s possible for the props to add sample drag and drop to vst?
Most Reason users are probably only expecting performance increases, not new functionality.

Using Reason instead of other daws is worth a small perfomance hit to me, voted +-10% but I’m fine with 85-90%. 70-80% is a bit too low though.

antic604

30 Sep 2018

EnochLight wrote:
30 Sep 2018
Perhaps, but it’s still a huge contender for “comparable DAW” because of its ITB features, workflow, it’s quite popular as a secondary DAW for Reasoners, and its VST track count is so good. If anything, I wouldn’t count Reaper since you get very little ITB with it. Like, hardly any content at all (content that I’d rate high, anyway).

Reason, Bitwig, Live, and Studio One all share a common high-quality ITB offering from the start.

But if we’re going to focus on modulation possibilities as part of the equation, maybe a new poll/thread would be effective? Beats me.
I think you're misunderstanding me :)

For years people have been e.g. comparing Cubase and Live complaining that the latter can run less VSTs, without taking into account the fact that Live allows - encourages! - you to change the order of things being played on the fly (session view), has a hot-swap mode for presets and devices (instruments, FX), has internal modulation system where you can modulate anything with anything else, expects you to automate lots of parameters often using random-number LFOs or sequencers. Due to that it has to be more real-time, thus can't afford high buffers that Cubase has with ASIO Guard technology, where everything that's not armed is pre-caluclated in advance. Therefore it can run less stuff.

And it's the same here - when I asked for adding "comparable" I meant comparable DAWs. And comparable not in terms of their "ITB-ness" (because arguably you get much more stuff in Cubase Pro or Logic Pro than in S1 Pro), but their technological make-up which is crucial for performance. S1 is nothing like Reason (or Live, or Bitwig). That's why it's a great companion DAW for users of those DAWs :)

EnochLight

30 Sep 2018

antic604 wrote:
30 Sep 2018
EnochLight wrote:
30 Sep 2018
Perhaps, but it’s still a huge contender for “comparable DAW” because of its ITB features, workflow, it’s quite popular as a secondary DAW for Reasoners, and its VST track count is so good. If anything, I wouldn’t count Reaper since you get very little ITB with it. Like, hardly any content at all (content that I’d rate high, anyway).

Reason, Bitwig, Live, and Studio One all share a common high-quality ITB offering from the start.

But if we’re going to focus on modulation possibilities as part of the equation, maybe a new poll/thread would be effective? Beats me.
I think you're misunderstanding me :)

For years people have been e.g. comparing Cubase and Live complaining that the latter can run less VSTs, without taking into account the fact that Live allows - encourages! - you to change the order of things being played on the fly (session view), has a hot-swap mode for presets and devices (instruments, FX), has internal modulation system where you can modulate anything with anything else, expects you to automate lots of parameters often using random-number LFOs or sequencers. Due to that it has to be more real-time, thus can't afford high buffers that Cubase has with ASIO Guard technology, where everything that's not armed is pre-caluclated in advance. Therefore it can run less stuff.

And it's the same here - when I asked for adding "comparable" I meant comparable DAWs. And comparable not in terms of their "ITB-ness" (because arguably you get much more stuff in Cubase Pro or Logic Pro than in S1 Pro), but their technological make-up which is crucial for performance. S1 is nothing like Reason (or Live, or Bitwig). That's why it's a great companion DAW for users of those DAWs :)
Gotcha, I see now. Yeah - our mileage may clearly vary depending on the DAW Reason is being compared to.
high buffers that Cubase has with ASIO Guard technology, where everything that's not armed is pre-caluclated in advance.
Slightly related: I wonder if Reaper uses this approach? It also has the ability to carry extremely high VST instances.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

30 Sep 2018

EnochLight wrote:
30 Sep 2018
Slightly related: I wonder if Reaper uses this approach? It also has the ability to carry extremely high VST instances.
It appears so. It's called anticipative processing :geek:

• Information