Comping problem

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Wylany165

26 Sep 2018

Hi!

Don't know if I did something wrong but I have a situation that I cannot edit a takes in comp edit. The markers are inactive and regardless which take I choose.
Zrzut ekranu 2018-09-26 o 12.04.58.png
Zrzut ekranu 2018-09-26 o 12.04.58.png (85.09 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Last edited by Wylany165 on 26 Sep 2018, edited 2 times in total.

guitfnky

26 Sep 2018

without looking at it right now, I only think I've got this right, but...I think there's a button to the left of each take lane (an arrow, I think), and if it's clicked, it means it only uses that lane, and prevents you from using the comp edit crossfading.

if you deselect that, it should let you make your comp edits. hope that's right. good luck!
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

selig
RE Developer

26 Sep 2018

Did you possibly click on a speaker icon (left side of Comp Edit Window), taking you to "Single Take Mode"?
If so, click on the highlighted speaker icon to exit Single Take Mode:
Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 9.15.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 9.15.19 AM.png (69.64 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Selig Audio, LLC

Wylany165

26 Sep 2018

I've clicked at this icon and no matter which speaker icon is checked there's no way to use markers. I've deleted this track from project so I cannot make any screenshot.
After I recorded a again new version everything's just fine. If I had this again in a future I'll return to this topic and post a shot.

Cheers!

selig
RE Developer

26 Sep 2018

Wylany165 wrote:
26 Sep 2018
I've clicked at this icon and no matter which speaker icon is checked there's no way to use markers. I've deleted this track from project so I cannot make any screenshot.
After I recorded a again new version everything's just fine. If I had this again in a future I'll return to this topic and post a shot.

Cheers!
Again, click on the highlighted speaker icon so that NO speaker icon is selected. As long as ONE is selected you are in Single Take Mode, and you will see the exact behavior you describe. Make sense?

Good to know if it happens again…
Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

28 Sep 2018

I've got to join the 20th century (we'll talk about the 21st later) and learn decent comping tecniques. I never use comping in Reason nor playlists in Pro Tools. I've resisted it for decades by doing manual editing of separate tracks into one take because that's what I was used to...it's silly really, not using the technology which makes things easier.

selig
RE Developer

28 Sep 2018

C//AZM wrote:I've got to join the 20th century (we'll talk about the 21st later) and learn decent comping tecniques. I never use comping in Reason nor playlists in Pro Tools. I've resisted it for decades by doing manual editing of separate tracks into one take because that's what I was used to...it's silly really, not using the technology which makes things easier.
I use playlists in PT all the time, never use comping in Reason. They are different IMO. Playlists are basically audio tracks in audio tracks - you can drag them onto a new audio track, or drag an audio track onto a new or existing playlist. Playlists are like “lanes” on note tracks in Reason - can’t seem why they can’t just add lanes for audio tracks for consistency.

But in Reason, ‘takes’ are different than lanes or tracks, making it slightly odd when trying to use them IMO. You can’t freely edit a take like you can a lane or track. For example, sliding a take means the whole take is moved - not just the clip you slide.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

28 Sep 2018

selig wrote:
28 Sep 2018
C//AZM wrote:I've got to join the 20th century (we'll talk about the 21st later) and learn decent comping tecniques. I never use comping in Reason nor playlists in Pro Tools. I've resisted it for decades by doing manual editing of separate tracks into one take because that's what I was used to...it's silly really, not using the technology which makes things easier.
I use playlists in PT all the time, never use comping in Reason. They are different IMO. Playlists are basically audio tracks in audio tracks - you can drag them onto a new audio track, or drag an audio track onto a new or existing playlist. Playlists are like “lanes” on note tracks in Reason - can’t seem why they can’t just add lanes for audio tracks for consistency.

But in Reason, ‘takes’ are different than lanes or tracks, making it slightly odd when trying to use them IMO. You can’t freely edit a take like you can a lane or track. For example, sliding a take means the whole take is moved - not just the clip you slide.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Ouch....sounds odd. So they're associative and totally dependent on the group?

michal22

28 Sep 2018

Reason is underdeveloped in this respect. I do not understand why you can not edit (duplicate, copy) sounds in individual take. It annoys me very much because I like to use the option of gentle transitions to individual takes. Unfortunately, the take are not always the same lenght, and then the stairs begin. You can not simply extend (ctrl + D) just one take.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Wylany165

05 Oct 2018

selig wrote:
26 Sep 2018

Again, click on the highlighted speaker icon so that NO speaker icon is selected. As long as ONE is selected you are in Single Take Mode, and you will see the exact behavior you describe. Make sense?

Good to know if it happens again…
Welllllll.... yes, I didn't understand this single take mode earlier. Now it's okay. Thank you for you help. Still learning ;)

• Information