Mastering question ( again)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2018

Hi. As I’ve said before I’m not really bothered about getting my music “out there”. Just a hobby which I enjoy a lot. For this reason I don’t need any professional mastering but it’d be cool to get a song sounding even better. A Reason acquaintance told me that to master I need to first finish mixing my song to how I like it then export it to a wav. It’s then that wav file which I import into Reason to start mastering. I’m guessing there’s loads of ways but is that method one of them?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

26 Sep 2018

Yes, it is one way to do it.
Reason12, Win10

RobC

26 Sep 2018

Is the mix perfect? Then get rid of infra and ultra frequencies, leave enough headroom to avoid inter-sample peaks distorting (-16 LUFS "loudness" that includes 1 dB headroom is the shiz apparently), and you're done.

Pingafuego

26 Sep 2018

Hi, there´s a sale at plugin boutique dot com. If you buy any product, even a $ 1 dollar product, they send you a free Ozone 8 Elements license. Ozone Elements has a "Master Assistant" that can set an initial custom preset that you can tweak.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/articles/1392

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2018

RobC wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Is the mix perfect? Then get rid of infra and ultra frequencies, leave enough headroom to avoid inter-sample peaks distorting (-16 LUFS "loudness" that includes 1 dB headroom is the shiz apparently), and you're done.
Ha ha ha :):):). And I quote: “It’s just a hobby which I like a lot. “.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Marco Raaphorst

26 Sep 2018

why master it when you can all do it in the mix?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
26 Sep 2018
why master it when you can all do it in the mix?
Beats me :). Something to do to pass a boring Wednesday afternoon? :):):). Anyone?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

rgdaniel

26 Sep 2018

MrFigg wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Just a hobby which I enjoy a lot.
Same for me. Can't justify spending money to optimize a release that will be heard by only a handful of people. I look at mastering as a final tweak of the mix, at a higher level, using devices (like, recently, Ozone, but historically just the Reason mastering suite) within the Master Section. So I get the mix the best I can, including lots of tweaks at the channel level (pan, level, eq of course, but also compressing and/or limiting as appropriate). When it's pretty good, I give it the once over at the overall level, maybe some bus compressor (often sidechained to get lessen the effect of bass frequencies - see
). I've played with multi-band compression in the Master Section, but I remain unconvinced, and have moved away from it. My aging ears, admittedly, may not be up to the task of assessing the differences. If it sounds good to me, we're done, time to move on...

• Information