Anyone Update Mac OS to Mojave yet?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Marco Raaphorst

11 Oct 2018

Steedus wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Yeah, honestly I was aware that Reason had some issues on Mac, but I have a friend who works solely in Logic so I want to start using it - hopefully in addition to Reason.. but boy it's painful sometimes.
philosurfer wrote:
10 Oct 2018

It just seems to be getting worse with every release. I am using a MBP completely maxed out from last year and Reason's GUI goes to shit . They need to optimize the UI or i will be seriously considering moving my work to Logic.
Propellerhead statement: fully compatible on 10.2 https://help.propellerheads.se/hc/en-us ... -statement Maybe you should ask them for support. Something is not right for your system.

Scoobyman II

11 Oct 2018

Scoobyman II wrote:
11 Oct 2018
Paha Kurki wrote:
10 Oct 2018
No audio in problem solved for me - thanks to fast reply from Propellerheads support!
Go to MacOS settings -> Security & Privacy and from there the last tab (Privacy)
Select Microphone - allow Reason to use microphone - problem solved!

I would not have figured this out myself. For a moment I was a bit frustrated thinking
I'd have to wait for an update to be able to record again.
I'll try that. I read a similar solution on the general interwebs.
Yea! It worked. All happy now.

pongasoft
RE Developer

11 Oct 2018

tumar wrote:
27 Sep 2018
The following products are NOT compatible with macOS Mojave:
Reason 9.5.4 and earlier
Reason Essentials 10 and earlier
Reason Limited 1.5.3 and earlier
What is wrong with Reason 9.5 ?
Very disappointed to read this given the fact that 9.5 is only the previous version before the (useless) 10.0 upgrade... I guess that is how Props is planning to force you to pay for their unwanted update... :(

philosurfer

11 Oct 2018

Ok.. so quick update.. Opening Reason in Low Resolution mode has made a world of difference.

I suspect this is because Reason's GUI is not using "Metal" which is MacOS's rendering engine. Any HiDPI displays are going to burn all kinds of extra CPU trying to alias the non HiDPI compatible apps. This would also explain why Reason would run perfectly fine on an external 2.5k display (Apple 2013), but when using the laptop display it runs like shit.

The graphics are terrible looking but .. i can live with it now the app is not stuttering anymore.

We need to ask if Propellerhead is going to adopt the Metal rendering engine.

miscend

11 Oct 2018

pongasoft wrote:
11 Oct 2018
tumar wrote:
27 Sep 2018

What is wrong with Reason 9.5 ?
Very disappointed to read this given the fact that 9.5 is only the previous version before the (useless) 10.0 upgrade... I guess that is how Props is planning to force you to pay for their unwanted update... :(
Nothing to do with Props. Blame Apple. Note how this issue does not affect Windows users.

philosurfer

11 Oct 2018

miscend wrote:
11 Oct 2018
pongasoft wrote:
11 Oct 2018

Nothing to do with Props. Blame Apple. Note how this issue does not affect Windows users.
It has to do with Propellerhead still using OpenGL as the rendering engine for the Apple platform. All Apple developers were notified this would be deprecated for the more efficient Metal (now in version 2) about 4 years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API) The fact that propellerhead have not refactored the UI to use Metal speaks to their stretched resources. Hopefully the surge of V.10.x sales will help their development team will eventually make this change and we can uncheck "Use low resolution mode"

I would suspect any HiDPI device regardless of the Apple platform would be having the similar issues. This is due to Reason having a complex UI that then has to be aliased in turn eating valuable CPU.

jappe

12 Oct 2018

miscend wrote:
11 Oct 2018
pongasoft wrote:
11 Oct 2018

On Windows 10 I get another graphics related problem: scrolling the rack consumes DSP.

Marco Raaphorst

12 Oct 2018

I am still on El Capitan. What am I missing? I can't think of anything. Oh yes, iBooks will no longer sync between Mac and iPhone. Yes, bummer. But other things?

I can run even older software. For example Ableton Live which I haven't upgraded to 10. ReCycle etc.

adfielding

12 Oct 2018

I recently upgraded to Mojave from El Capitan because I wanted to test one particular issue I was having - not something I would normally do (what with it being so soon after release and all), and in retrospect it was a little reckless. Unfortunately the update didn't fix said issue, but on the flip side everything seems to be working correctly. Even Reason 7 (which I keep installed for opening old projects using the now removed Line6 devices) seems to be working without any issues, which I was very surprised by!

Seems to be a hit or miss kind of thing. I know someone who recently updated and it totally killed their performance. If your machine is working then I absolutely wouldn't recommend upgrading just yet, despite my experience. In fact, if your machine is working fine and your OS is still supported then I'd probably suggest just not bothering in general. Given that I've skipped two versions already (the Sierras) I'm struggling to notice anything in Mojave that seems particularly useful to me.

Marco Raaphorst

12 Oct 2018

Thanks Adam!

miscend

12 Oct 2018

philosurfer wrote:
11 Oct 2018
miscend wrote:
11 Oct 2018

It has to do with Propellerhead still using OpenGL as the rendering engine for the Apple platform. All Apple developers were notified this would be deprecated for the more efficient Metal (now in version 2) about 4 years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API) The fact that propellerhead have not refactored the UI to use Metal speaks to their stretched resources. Hopefully the surge of V.10.x sales will help their development team will eventually make this change and we can uncheck "Use low resolution mode"

I would suspect any HiDPI device regardless of the Apple platform would be having the similar issues. This is due to Reason having a complex UI that then has to be aliased in turn eating valuable CPU.
When Reason 9 released Metal was not compatible with the vast majority of Macs and a large chunk of the Reason userbase. Metal only works with Macs released from 2012 onwards. Also Metal is not cross platform so switching to a new API is not a trivial process as it takes time to properly implement and test.

The truth is that Apple gimped OpenGL in order to push their own proprietary API. The natural progression would have been to move to Vulkan as that is cross platform and an open standard. Also Open GL is still used widely used on other platforms including Windows. For rendering simple 2D GUI's its debatable whether Metal will be anymore efficient than Open GL - most of the gains will be made when rendering hi resolution 3D graphics at 60FPS.

ast3rix

12 Oct 2018

I just discovered that my Digidesign Midi IO is no longer being supported. So Avid is dropping support for it in Mojave. I was able to reinstall the old driver and get my controller working, but this means it's time to update. So I went ahead and got the NI S88 MK2 controller that I have been lusting after. It sucks sooo much that it's not Reason supported, but man the keybed and the basics work.

tobypearce

13 Oct 2018

Quote:

End quote

This makes sense, by which I mean that it's a very likely explanation for what's going wrong with Reason these days.

Honestly, even on a fast mac with hardly any plugins going (just one DSP bar), Reason seems incapable of playing music and scrolling smoothly at the same time.

Fixing this isn't a 'nice to have' or an 'if time'; it's critical. I've been with Reason since 3.0 but it feels bad making music on Reason right now and this GUI issue really needs fixing.

I get that this is a major overhaul of how graphics are rendered, but that - for sure - is what is needed. Very soon.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

Marco Raaphorst

13 Oct 2018

Maybe the Props are doing a rewrite. The performance fix seems to take some time...

atlatnesiti

14 Oct 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
13 Oct 2018
Maybe the Props are doing a rewrite. The performance fix seems to take some time...
As always, Props are “fashionabley late” to the table. Mojave was available for all beta testers 4 months ago and yet they decided to ignore it. WTF?!
Mind you they’re not alone, Steinberg is another culprit of disregarding any os changes until it’s too late...
BTW; Both Reason and Cubase Pro are fully functional on my iMac i7 Mojave system :)
In fact, I haven’t noticed any issues with any software so far :)

pongasoft
RE Developer

14 Oct 2018

philosurfer wrote:
11 Oct 2018

As far as I can tell, Mojave only deprecates the use of OpenGL (source https://arstechnica.com/features/2018/0 ... eview/#h43), so Props clearly did not rewrite the code in Reason 10 to use Metal. And since OpenGL has only been deprecated (not changed or removed), I just don't see why that would break Reason 9.5...

Yan

wendylou

15 Oct 2018

FlowerSoldier wrote:
26 Sep 2018
Who is going to take one for The Team?
Anybody tried running Reason on Mojave?
I'm to scared to update.
I always live dangerously and upgrade my Mac OS right away. On Mojave and no issues with Reason 10.2d93.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

fieldframe
RE Developer

18 Oct 2018

miscend wrote:
12 Oct 2018
philosurfer wrote:
11 Oct 2018

When Reason 9 released Metal was not compatible with the vast majority of Macs and a large chunk of the Reason userbase. Metal only works with Macs released from 2012 onwards. Also Metal is not cross platform so switching to a new API is not a trivial process as it takes time to properly implement and test.

The truth is that Apple gimped OpenGL in order to push their own proprietary API. The natural progression would have been to move to Vulkan as that is cross platform and an open standard. Also Open GL is still used widely used on other platforms including Windows. For rendering simple 2D GUI's its debatable whether Metal will be anymore efficient than Open GL - most of the gains will be made when rendering hi resolution 3D graphics at 60FPS.
I'm pretty sure Reason is not using OpenGL. The Reason GUI is almost certainly running an entirely software-based renderer, with the majority of its codebase dating back to 2001 - even if it were running on an old, poorly-optimized version of OpenGL, scrolling would be massively smoother than it is currently, and we'd probably have Retina graphics by now.

If Propellerhead were to implement an OpenGL renderer today, even with Apple's neglected drivers, it would be a major improvement. This isn't Unreal Engine 4 we're talking about here - this is compositing a few bitmaps with alpha channels, something that required a custom renderer 17 years ago, but has much more efficient approaches today.

Given what we've heard about the audio engine rewrite for (presumably) Reason 10.5, it would follow that a GUI rewrite isn't far behind. My guess would be either a hybrid approach, abstracting a lot of calls with a custom layer that can go on top of Metal or DirectX, or developing for Vulkan and using MoltenVK on Mac, which is a compatibility layer that basically lets you write for Vulkan and run on Metal.

tobypearce

21 Oct 2018

If Reason 10.5 had the vst performance improvements and the graphics improvements (both fixing the problems and upgrading to retina) that would be a worthy .5 update.

Actually in my book it would be a worthy Reason 11, but I doubt many people would enjoy paying for the performance they feel they should already have.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

fieldframe
RE Developer

22 Oct 2018

tobypearce wrote:
21 Oct 2018
If Reason 10.5 had the vst performance improvements and the graphics improvements (both fixing the problems and upgrading to retina) that would be a worthy .5 update.

Actually in my book it would be a worthy Reason 11, but I doubt many people would enjoy paying for the performance they feel they should already have.
Propellerhead has basically confirmed that the sound engine rewrite and its accompanying VST performance improvements are coming in a point release, which I think we can assume will be 10.5. My bet is on a UI rewrite, accompanied by Retina graphics, for Reason 11.

Dizzyd1440

01 Nov 2018

I did last night and now I can't record through my Scarlett Focusrite 1x1, it isn't recording neither of my inputs I can hear both my bass and vocals just fine but when I go to record it doens't record my audio at all.

FlowerSoldier

01 Nov 2018

Dizzyd1440 wrote:
01 Nov 2018
I did last night and now I can't record through my Scarlett Focusrite 1x1, it isn't recording neither of my inputs I can hear both my bass and vocals just fine but when I go to record it doens't record my audio at all.
User Paha Kurki provided the solution for this in this thread on Oct. 9th. It's on Page 2, here ya go:

"No audio in problem solved for me - thanks to fast reply from Propellerheads support!
Go to MacOS settings -> Security & Privacy and from there the last tab (Privacy)
Select Microphone - allow Reason to use microphone - problem solved!

I would not have figured this out myself. For a moment I was a bit frustrated thinking
I'd have to wait for an update to be able to record again."

Have fun.

Bucky

02 Nov 2018

The labels in the piano roll are blank for me - Mojave, Reason 9.5. Should have $hitcanned this clunker long ago.. Hey Props, try to keep up!

Brosefski

02 Nov 2018

I've updated, works fine for me.
:reason: :recycle: :re:

monkpeabody

02 Nov 2018

I did It!
And immediately lost all input functions no ability to record audio midi and instruments fine.
and then ...
https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... what-s-up-
hope that helps someone

• Information